Lancer Register Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
very interesting views you guys have there regarding WI. water injection is deffinitely not a cheat it is a valid way of getting as much power as you can from any engine, that is way all rally teams use it. it allows you to run more ignition advance and makes things cooler and safer. if you have not tried it yet blade i think you should as it will allow you to push the envlope a bit further.

and please do not say what will happend when you run out of water or if the pump fails because it is very easy to get a water level indicator and a warning light inside the car to tell you if the pump is not working. all you would do then is not drive the car on full boost until you get it sorted. it is only useful off course on WOT.

you can manage a good 3-4 degrees if not more if extra advance with it at the top end that is quite a bit of power.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sam - water injection was one of the first things in the car! ERL system - not mapped, just triggered. Could map it though...

Have a huge tank in the boot, and run 15% ethanol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sam,I can drive 600 miles in a day what size water tank would I need,or do I fill up with water when I get petrol.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Barry, you can map the water injection easily to be used sparingly. I have a tank in the boot to one side which will probably last 1000 miles. Look at my web site for piccies.

Never fill it up, even on a track day - and it feeds the automatic water spray at the front too!

It costs a little more to map it (need the ERL ECU) unless you are lucky enough to have GEMS or Motec.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
hi blade
you can get the ERL system mapped itself as you have mentioned but i am sure your car's ignition advance was mapped after you have fitted the erl system? basically it allow you to add a lot of ignition advance of full wack. wi also increase the octan rating etc.. there is quite a lot of benefits from it really.

however if you add WI to a car with without a fully programmable ecu as in your case for example Barry you would actually loose power. water /ethanol mixture obviously occupies a space in the cyclinder that originally had air and fuel now there is an extra element in the same confined space. the way is to get the ecu mapped obviously you will need to run the fuel ( you will run rich with WI) and up the advance this way you will gain all that you have lost plus more.

you only use the WI on full WOT so unless you are doing 600miles with the foot to the floor you will have no problem running out of water . and if you get a 3d system to map the water injection to respond on throttle and boost you are sorted really. don't mistake it with water spray uses a lot of water. so unless you are doing 600 track miles with out stopping i can't see your point? that is 1/2 a rally and they usually take 3 days to do that ;)

blade
are you measuring your inlet charge temps? at all these high boosts you are talking about unless you have a monstor turbo and intercooler you may find that you inlet charges are reaching over the 42.5 degrees that are required for power anything above that and you loose power. i am sure PE know all about that since they use to deal with a lot of ford.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sam - I am not measuring inlet temp yet, though the stack is being modified to do it. I have the cold air intake tubes and a bigger intercooler to keep this down, along with the water injection.

My ECU was custom mapped, but my water injection isn't mapped at all - just triggered. Will do this when I get the new ECU.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.