Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know there is a new tuning option available - Norris Designs. I have spoken to them in depth, and they know their onions and have some good Japanese contacts.

There are a few people around considering 2.2 conversions, and this is the only company I know of in he UK who have actually done one. Their turbo knowledge is also very good.

Can't comment on the actual work or costs - but the knowledge is definitely there.

Their EVO is pushing out close to 600bhp, and has a top speed in excess of 190 mph (final drive has been changed). They will be at the shootout (when it happens) and it definitely sounds like the car to beat at the moment (sorry Barry, you need to spend quite a bit more me thinks :D)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Question is did they actually build the conversion or did they buy an engine directly from JUN themselves, also I have heard a few things:

On an engine dyno last week the car produced 513bhp, although I'm not sure of the boost levels, on 97 octane fuel. There was detonation however, and 513bhp was the max they could get to.

They then fitted an ERL Aquamist system pumping a 50/50 water/methanol mix to clear the detonation and the engine got up to 580bhp and 480lbs/ft. The jets on the water injection systems can get blocked quite easily, what happens then ? BANG !!

Sounds a bit too risky to me. However, don't get the wrong impression, I hope it goes well for them.

Si

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evil,
Too right it sounds risky but not just the water injection. Near 600bhp from a 2.2 litre engine! Does that sound stressful or what! Bloody impressive but also not exactly reliable. Mind you the people that can afford to build that sort of engine in the first place can afford any rebuilds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
si, not sure mate. AFAIK Jun only export the stroker kits, not whole engines.

He did mention the Aquamist system - but we talked about ethanol, and he said he wasn't doing that (they haven't fitted an external tank so they are using the 2l bottle for the intercooler spray).
Where did you get your info from? Did they use the same dyno that Mark uses?

I am not surprised at the detonation, they were running 1.9bar apparently to get 580bp. At this sort of power you really need something other than 97 octane! Hence the methanol....

HH6 - the engine should be able to cope with that no problem - provided there is no detting!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark does use the same engine dyno, I only got the spec and results from him, the rest of the info was my personal opinion.

Cheers

Si

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blade

JUN export whole engines. I am waiting for a quote from them btw. However, they do not want to quote before I send them money to their account!! This is due to the fact that a lot of people get quoted from them without ever buying anything. My Jap parts dealer in France is insisting though. So before you all contact them, wait for me to post the quote. In 1 or 2 weeks. They r really busy at the moment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Details can be found here.......

http://www.norrisdesigns.co.uk/

Click on Demo cars

Two years ago i had a 200sx, and spent quite abit of money with ND, at that time he had nothing to do with Evo`s or Subaru`s..and going by his products for the Evo`s he`s not been doing them very long at all.......just trying clicking on the S13 200sx for a comparison ;)

Certainly got a nice car built up though, still niggles me that he sold me a chip and uprated actuator, knowing full well that i`d be ringing him up two days later and having to spend another £150|PLS| on a fuel pump like 90% of the people before me had had to! ..... if he had any decent standards then he`d have mentioned the fuel pump at my first enquiry i.m.o.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have used Simon Norris at ND a couple of times now, he fitted an uprated clutch on our skyline last year after a few good runs down the pod!Gave us a little run around for a couple of days as a courtesy car.........Nissan Micra! when you hit 80mph the whole car violently shook, on the way home, me sat doing a steady 70 when a white evo 6 came hairing past!! just my luck with the damn car i was in, the service we got was second to none, fitted in no time and the price was competative, given Dan( my other half ) a lot of good info as he knows a lot about GTIR's ( Dans beast of a car) and recently given us a lot of info with regards the the new evo i have.

Debs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blade

Had an a chat with Dave from Steve Hill Motorsports today that you might find interesting. The engine builder they use for their Evo rally cars is producing engines that are dyno'd at 560bhp. These are used for motorsport purposes and have proved to be very reliable and driveable. The downside is a 560bhp engine price costs £18,000. Sorry, I can't remember the engine builders name, but might be worth a call.

SHM have their own rallycross Evo 3 with I believe runs at around 500bhp.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blade dont get too excited about Norris,they may be the first to build a Jun car but they are not the first to bullshit about the power output.

Id would say they are still developing their car,and from what I have read they are still in the trial and error stage in time they might be worth a look but not yet.

Having seen the spec of the car its mainly bolt on ,insert engine now lets see what happens,and what happens is detonation.Using water and methonal is a cheats way out not a long term fix.I can understand a way for a company to market itself is to say we have built the most powerfull EVO in the UK,but other than nieve Max Power boys Evo owners are going to want more than just a statement before they part with there money.I would say to Norris let us know when you have a product you can sell as apposed to a Marketing tool that can explode at any time.

With reference to your comment about the shootout,those things dont interest me.I am tuning my car for the road,and occassional track day I have no interest in being competitive in a straight line ,25 years ago maybe but not today,been their done it sort of thing.My tuning is not to compete with others I have my own agenda which is just for my own personal satisfaction,and does not involve trying to impress anyone.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just passing on info Barry - I have no connection with them, but I have been doing this EVO tuning lark for some time, and heard, seen and experienced alot of bullshit and alot of knowledge. He may have been reading from the JUN manual over the phone, or he may know his stuff - hard to say.

BTW, the shoot out will include multiple events, including circuits, so you can show your stuff there.

But of course, as you hate to compete, you won't be attending... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tony,if there is circuits I will be there,

I did'nt say I did'nt like to compete,what I said was,I am not interested in competing in a straight line,I have an EVO not a drag car quarter, mile shootouts are for the Max Power Boys and boasting in pubs.

Circuit racing is something else,it takes skill not just knowing how to drop a clutch.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I totally agree with you! The only reason I will run on the strip is that I am curious about my times - my car isn't powerful enough to be the quickest there (though it may well stop the quickest on the 0-100-0 :D)

Circuits are were it is at - it tests the whole car - brakes, suspension, engine, box - as well as the driver.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anybody know when the Norris engine goes into the car. If they had det problems on the dyno, then they will more than likely get more on the road.

Will also be interesting to get some feedback on how the car feels in varying conditions.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wazup,

I certainly enjoy having a few good runs up the 1/4 mile, admittedly i havent had a chance to have a go at a track yet, but until then, you cant really put it down to Max Power boy racers and boasting in pubs! Im certainly not either, and its a good day out with the scoobies, skylines, EVO'S, supras and GTIR's, most of which are all great track cars, but having a stab at a different aspect of having fun in your car.

Debs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Debs,whatever turns you on:)

I did'nt say that I would'nt enjoy watching it I would,but only in the way an adult likes to watch children playing in a creche,and of course the odd blown engine is good for a laugh!!

Cheers Barry look forward to seeing you on the day,XXX:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the funniest thing i saw at the pod was the young nova driver pull up to the start line, and his little face turning a shade of green as a lamourgini diablo pulls up in the next lane, now most people there not having seen a diablo scream down the 1/4 mile obviously caused quite a stir, the poor nova guy was quivering by this stage, xmas tree lights dropped and away goes the nova, all eyes on the lambo, only to watch the poor guy stall on the line, dribble away from the start and kangaroo most of the way down the strip, honestly the guy could have had a pint between gear changes and missed third all together!

Suprisingly enough, the next time we saw the lambo was on its way out of the main gates about 10 mins later with the drivers face the same shade of colour as his car, funny, never seen him there since either........

Debs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Debs,thats a good story,a Lambo beaten by a Nova,excellent if you really want to have a crack you can borrow my car for 1 run,it will have a few little extra tweaks by then its a bit secret but I will be able to divulge nearer the date.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts