Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Caterham driver and I'd like to do the MLR track day at Cadwell on April 4th. I'm pretty sure that I have been on one of the club's trackdays previously and there was not a problem but before I book, what's the form at present? Would I be welcome or would I be in a minority of one as a non-Mitsubishi driver. I have no wish to crash a private club day but if places are available and no one objects I'd very much like to come along.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
why would you want to attend an MLR dar specifically...

Is your aim to see if your Caterham is faster than an Evo, or do you have a specific need to get some time in at Cadwell?

What spec is the Caterham?

·
Administrator
29,343 Posts
I am a Caterham driver and I'd like to do the MLR track day at Cadwell on April 4th. I'm pretty sure that I have been on one of the club's trackdays previously and there was not a problem but before I book, what's the form at present? Would I be welcome or would I be in a minority of one as a non-Mitsubishi driver. I have no wish to crash a private club day but if places are available and no one objects I'd very much like to come along.
Hi MarchHare

You would be more than welcome at an MLR day, and no you wouldn't be in a minority - there are a few non-members that go to every trackday, and a lot of different cars...

If you are thinking of doing more than one a year though - it would be worth your while actually joining up as a member - and you don't need to have an Evo to do that ;) If you need any more information - feel free to call 0845 12 526237

·
Gav
7,576 Posts
Ha ha, I'll pick any Caterham and you can pick any Evo... I'll make mincemeat of the Evo any time any day.

Evo's are not as quick as everyone thinks on a track!
It was said in jest. I was merely stating I've yet to see a caterham come past me round Cadwell.

Caterhams always seem slow on MLR days, wherever the venue?

I know I'd be quicker round Cadwell in an R500 than any other Evo BTW.

·
Registered
31,032 Posts
Ha ha, I'll pick any Caterham and you can pick any Evo... I'll make mincemeat of the Evo any time any day.

Evo's are not as quick as everyone thinks on a track!
I think we should make this happen.

Ben you are challenging Knoxville (the Current MLR sprint champion) to a race where you can drive a Caterham and he can drive any EVO.

Brave man, hope you are quick. :lol:

·
Registered
642 Posts
it would be good if it actually happened someone could record and post it (intrigued to know which would win)

·
Administrator
29,343 Posts
it would be good if it actually happened someone could record and post it (intrigued to know which would win)
Sorry - no racing - or timing allowed at any trackdays :tsk:

·
Gav
7,576 Posts
IIRC, a previous MLR trackday at Cadwell was the day before a Caterham event. None of them could drive that day either.

Maybe Ben is a 'special driver'

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, I've signed up so hopefully I won't get in your way too much.

The car is a basic spec roadsport. 1600cc, 120 bhp. We're racing at Cadwell later in the year so I want to try to get a bit of track time there.

As to relative performance I believe the Caterham graduates (same spec car, slightly stickier tyres) were going round in the low 1.40's last year. Obviously we can't time on a trackday but any idea what times the Evos do?

·
Registered
579 Posts
About the same I think, anything sub 1:50 is quick, low 1:40's is very quick. I did the same track day last year in the Exige and easily held my own, can be frustrating down the straights though:handsup:

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
It was said in jest. I was merely stating I've yet to see a caterham come past me round Cadwell.

Caterhams always seem slow on MLR days, wherever the venue?

I know I'd be quicker round Cadwell in an R500 than any other Evo BTW.
Fair enough... R500 or a race car, for sure.

Wouldn't like to try in the wet though... I'm still sure they are quicker than an Evo, but you'd need to be Schumacher to keep hold of an R500 in the wet!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I think we should make this happen.

Ben you are challenging Knoxville (the Current MLR sprint champion) to a race where you can drive a Caterham and he can drive any EVO.

Brave man, hope you are quick. :lol:
Lol.. I'd do it for fun... no problems.

I used to race Caterhams, so know my way around a track!

The best Evo is not one with masses of power, it needs to be drivable, well setup suspension and light... and have enough power.

A caterham R500, or a race Cosworth powered CSR Caterham is a fearsome bit of kit. Only the very highest power Evo's will drive past the CSR Caterham on the straight.

Be good fun that would!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Caterham 7 CSR Superlight
Engine: 2.3 litre Cosworth Duratec
Max Power (bhp/rpm) 260bhp @ 7500
Max Torque (lbs ft/rpm) 200 @ 6200
Weight 550kg
0-60mph 3.1 Seconds
Power-to-weight 472bhp-per-tonne
Top Speed 155mph

So you'd need around 640bhp and 490lb/ft to match the power to weight... I'm not sure how "drivable" that spec Evo would be on a circuit as I never driven one. The Caterham is awesome...

Hey I love Evo's but on a circuit the lightweight stuff is hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts