Lancer Register Forum banner

Noisy tappets stops mapping

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Dave@ears 
#1 ·
My car has been in today for new turbo and cams.
After fitting, couldn't be mapped properly due to a noisy hydraulic lifter, making the ecu think its detecting knock.
As a result, 16 new lifters to be fitted at £25 (+VAt) each plus labour before the car can finally be mapped.
Anybody come across this before?

Dan.

#2 ·
Worth fixing the lifters, hope it gets rid of your false knock. If it doesn't, there is nothing you can do about it with Ecutek and you'd have to use Ecuflash (knock control is adjustable in Ecuflash, not in Ecutek) or a standalone ECU to get your engine to run properly.

#7 ·
To be honest it did sound like it was a bit 'tappy' before the new cams.
The cams fitted are Piper 272 'Mr spec' but with 11.0mm of lift instead of 10.8mm.
They were recommended by my tuner.
He has also said that there are a cheaper after market lifters available but with the more aggressive cams fitted they wouldn't last long.

@rob_indigo - how much should I be looking at for genuine mitsubishi lifters?

Cheers lads, Dan.

#14 ·
If you don't want to do the job yourself. Go to Matt at TRL. He's well within distance of warrington.
I know he is. My cars been in for 3 days and I couldn't be arsed driving to Halifax to drop it off and then pick it up 3 days later.
To complete the story, its been in for the 45k service (cam belt) and as I was feeling flush I got a IX turbo and the cams. Its also had Pf front discs GRP N rear discs, XP8 all round and braided lines (+refresh brake fluid).

Dan.

#22 ·
Personally I'd stick with the Mitsi ones.

If you want someone to clean your current ones though Dan I can do it for you if you want and it won't take long.... as long as you promise to look away when I get the pry bar out to remove them ;)

Andy

#23 ·
Lot's of people do have problems with 3mm uprated ones, but it's down to where you get them. An £80 set from Ebay or the like is not going to be the same quality as the ones the guys on here sell.
If you want OEM Mitsi ones I would suggest getting a price from Dave@Ears, you will be shocked at the price difference.

It a very generous offer from Andy, I would take him up on that:D Least he know where they are fitted:lol:

#24 ·
Thats a great offer Andy, thanks very much:smthumbup
I think they do need replacing though, I could here it tapping before the cams were put in.
Once they are in the tuner is going to map it again for free.

I'll get the new mitsi adjusters I think and then its sorted.

Dan.

If you want someone to clean your current ones though Dan I can do it for you if you want and it won't take long.... as long as you promise to look away when I get the pry bar out to remove them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.