Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had a helix 6 paddle clutch fitted to my EVO IV and have now inherited a 'noise'
when I slow down in the gears.
I have had the gearbox oil change 3 times following advise but the noise is still there. I will try and explain the noise: It rumbles and vibrates, it doesn't grind or knock, sounds like something is loose!!!!!!!!! The noise only occurs when you slow down in gear, most noticable between 3000 and 2000 rpm.
I have had the gearbox out again and everything looks Ok.
I would appreciate any advise.
Thank you
Dominic Milson.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can you hear the noise when not engaged in any gear but still around the same rpm range? or is it only when in gear? is any gear more significant?
Just trying to throw up some ideas??
I know when I got my IV back with a comp AP clutch it took about 3 weeks to fully bed in and stop smelling strange when tested!!
JeffIV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff,
Thanks for your response, I have run my car for 3 weeks because I thought the clutch might need bedding in, but it made no difference.
The gears do not have to be engaged, it makes the noise as long as the clutch is not engaged, as soon as you push down the pedal the noise goes.
My mechanics believe it is a problem in side the gear box, I don't want to split the box if I can help it, I believe the noise is there right through the rev range its just I can hear it at higher revs.....ralliart exhaust, SpecR dump valve and uprated shocks and springs make the car slightly unrefined when slowing down in the gears at higher revs!!!!!!!!!!!
No gear is more significant as far as I can tell hard to hear the noise at all in fifth, see above.

Cheers
Dom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dom,
I assume you checked the release bearing and retaining clip when you removed the box as if the retaining clip wasn't put on right or left out the release bearing may be moving around slightly when the clutch is released causing noise as it bounces off the pressure plate. The only other cause i can think of is the input shaft bearing is on it's way southhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >. If you do take the Gearbox out again check for any movement on the input shaft and turn the shaft by hand (in neutral of course![img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) and see if you can hear or feel anything in it's operation.
Hope this helps[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Regards,
Paul.C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI DOM
Just took an evo6 gearbox out for noise bearings,found out put shaft taper roller bearing very! badly pitted,might be your problem.
Only trying to help.
ANNA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou all,
Ralliart put me in touch with a bit of a gearbox expert, a very nice man called David you works in Great Dunmow in Essex.
I explained the noise to him and David believes as I went for the full competition clutch, not the cheaper road/race one that helix make??????????? the noise is the stiffer springs verbarating. I not sure if I total trust this dianostic, put I'm not the expert!!!!!!

I am going to run the car for a couple of weeks and then decide weather to take the car to Great Dunmow for a proper check up.

I was wondering as so many people have aftermarket clutches fitted have any of you experienced noise form the clutch plate springs?

Cheers
Dominic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible that the sound is coincidental with a change in gearbox lubricant?

Perhaps the oil that was used as replacement is providing less cushioning and is allowing for more mechanical noise. I have noticed significant variations in gearbox noise while trying different gear oils. In my experience Omega 690 seems to dampen gearbox noise the best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet the clutch that you put in has no spring in the centre of the clutch plate. I put a competition clutch in my EVO and straight away had the same problem. When you are decelerating the direction of force on the gears in the gearbox is in the reverse direction. that means the wheels are driving the engine. When each cylinder fires, the direction of force changes and the quickly changes back. This causes the gears in the gearbox to chatter on deceleration.
I had the oil changed and all sorts. It almost sounds like an exhaust rattle but it a'int. In the end i put a standard clutch back in it' ( because after vall it was only a road car ) and running the same oil etc the noise was never heard of again.
email [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have a read of thread 'NO 3rd gear' on gearbox section.
Roger Rally 6,about skimming flywheel etc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noisey gearbox, anyone know this man?

"Thankyou all,
Ralliart put me in touch with a bit of a gearbox expert, a very nice man called David you works in Great Dunmow in Essex."

Anyone know this man, I live not too far away from gt.dunmow.

New owner so I'm a bit para, noises are low speeds, in either 3/4th or 5th at low speeds, there are noises, bit like a bearing or a droning sound, dip the clutch sound goes.
When warm no noises, or that quiet you can't hear them.
High speeds high revs high gears you don't hear any noises.

Guess when its cold I'm driving it carefully at low revs in high gears so I hear all these noises, what are they?

Clutch is original at 50k, car is a 99 evo 6 RSX

ANy ideas, and who is this expert in dunmow?

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Re: Re:Noisey Gearbox.

P22DOM said:
Thankyou all,
Ralliart put me in touch with a bit of a gearbox expert, a very nice man called David you works in Great Dunmow in Essex.
I explained the noise to him and David believes as I went for the full competition clutch, not the cheaper road/race one that helix make??????????? the noise is the stiffer springs verbarating. I not sure if I total trust this dianostic, put I'm not the expert!!!!!!

I am going to run the car for a couple of weeks and then decide weather to take the car to Great Dunmow for a proper check up.

I was wondering as so many people have aftermarket clutches fitted have any of you experienced noise form the clutch plate springs?

Cheers
Dominic.
He will be right this is very common when you change clutch to a non Mitsubishi one,
It is nothing to worry about if the noise wasnt there before the clutch change.

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Dominic,

Just to let you know I recently had an MX5 with an uprated clutch with exactly the same problem. It turned out to be the centre plate, if your noise is only since the clutch was changed then its a good candidate.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm on the standard clutch I think, most noise is when you let off at slow speed.

Anyone know who this guy may be at gtdunmow I want him to take a listen to my car

thanks

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Dean,
You have a PM to your keendean account explaining about the guidelines about signing up multiple accounts just to get around the non-member posting limit.

Andy

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just had my new single exedy cerametalic clutch and flywheel fitted now strange noise. when i slowly pull away in 1st i get a whining sound from the gearbox, also when reversing.

When i am reversing theres a loud rattling noise coming from the gearbox (sounds as if the clutch is loose). Anyone got any ideas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts