Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a noise coming from the front left when I turn right under load (for load read: a bit of speed!)

The noise I have doesnt seem to fit in with the usual knocking/clunking described for top mounts, and the amount of lock I have on doesnt affect the noise so that makes me think its not the diff bolts or a cv (no steering vibration or wheel bearing wur-wur-wur either).

The noise is a sort of grinding/rubbing, almost like a squarky rear diff but without the sea lion element?

Any ideas? Im concerned it will be expensive!

·
Premium Member
22,088 Posts
daveR said:
Cheers Stu but its not that kind of noise and its definately from the front left wheel area.
I suppose then check the obvious, ie. CV joints, wheel bearings, bushes.

Also, if you only notice a noise at low speed turning right, could be the diff bolts

Stu

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive searched the entire forum for diff bolt related threads and it really doesnt sound like that.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
sounds like wheel bearings to me. To check jack car up grab top un bottom of wheel/tyrepull top push bottom and vice versa if any play is wheel bearing, has to get bad (ish) for this to show.

to check CV joints get on full lock (try both ways!) in a car park drive back and forth slowly, will hear knocking noise if gone.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive had a few suggestions now that Im going to try when I get in tonight.

Will check the nuts!
Also had it suggested that the strut or spring may be causing it (from the logic that it only happens under load and seems independant of steering input)
So going to make sure that its seated correctly this eve.

There was a post further down this page (I bttt'd yesterday) from someone who described the exact same noise as ive got. Have sent a PM to see what his cause was too.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Is the suspension being compressed enough that the wheels could be rubbing on the arch? When I had a carfull of lardy mates (80stone / 500kg of people) I could get the tyres to rub just under heavy acceleration, never mind cornering :(

I now have my eyes on a set of Ohlins with stiffer springs to "fix" that problem (when I have the spare wedge) ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no noise when turning left under the same sort of load (theres no noise when turning left at all even!).

It doesnt feel like a grabbing, I cant feel anything through the steering at all and just hear the noise.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NumptyScrub said:
Is the suspension being compressed enough that the wheels could be rubbing on the arch? When I had a carfull of lardy mates (80stone / 500kg of people) I could get the tyres to rub just under heavy acceleration, never mind cornering :(

I now have my eyes on a set of Ohlins with stiffer springs to "fix" that problem (when I have the spare wedge) ;)
I checked the arch liner last night when I got in and couldnt see it rubbing anywhere. When I say cornering under load im only on about 30mph+ not full on abusing it round a corner! :p

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Let me give it some death, that will sort it out :p

Are you going to jack it up later? Whilst you are doing that I will have a nosey underneath - I need to see how some piepwork is routed for something else!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
C# said:
Let me give it some death, that will sort it out :p

Are you going to jack it up later? Whilst you are doing that I will have a nosey underneath - I need to see how some piepwork is routed for something else!
Yeah Ill do it tonight. Was going to was it for Saturday but this is slightly more pressing!

Feel free to climb under while its on the scissor jack :eek: Ill have the bus if it falls and you die! :D

Might get you to run it about tonight and see if the noise sounds like im describing.

Anyone near Farnborough good with noises!? lol

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
You can do both lol!

Scissor jack? :eek: I only want to see some of the i/c pipwork lol!

We could drive it & hang out of the passenger window id bend & see if it can be pinpointed a bit more?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
watch out for the blue car going round farnborough tonight with a person hanging out of the passenger window.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.