Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to build a track car. Looked at a Noble M400 and was impressed but i am considering a modified evo 9.I have never experienced an evo with say 500hp. How drivable is an evo with a stroker engine built to produce around 500-550hp and can the car be reliable enough for regular track use?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you just want track use then it has to be the Noble, esp if it's going to be summer = mostly dry.

If you want to use it one the road / in more divese conditions / wet (etc), then the Evo (any late Evo) would be a good choice, but not necessarilly comparable - they are such different beasts!

·
Registered
77 Posts
What about a M3 CSL. The few that I've seen round track (had been modified with AP racing brakes, exhaust and some with suspension mods) were absolutely flying round. The main advantage being they were doing it all day without no problems and then able to drive home in relative comfort. I had a M12 3R last year that I tracked......it didn't take to kindly to it......I eventually swopped it for an S2 Exige that is just so much fun round track and more than capable of standing the abuse lap after lap. Only downsight being the lack of straightline speed when against the faster cars.

Have you looked at something like a S1 Elise/Exige with Audi 1.8T conversion?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was thinking along similar lines a few months back - you can see which way i went !

Heard just 1 to many noble horror stories in the end - they also seem to be worse on depreciation and selling secondhand than an evo !

·
Registered
415 Posts
personally I'd get an caterham r400 or r500.... road legal (just) and will pretty much kill anything on track... straight line and corners... pretty sure they would give the radicals a damn good run for the money they are prob cheaper and defo more useable...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Honestly, the Noble would blow most Evo's into the weeds.

Most people will say things like this without driving either car, but I have driven both. I have an Evo VI and my mum has a Noble M12 GTO-3.

I have not been in an M400 but a guy we know has one (after owning the original 2.5 litre M12) and when asked what it was like he replied, "It's just like your one, but with another 1/4 of the power!!!"

Go for the Noble unless you need practicality.

·
Registered
405 Posts
:rofl: awesome

You should send those photos to Noble so that their PR department can use them to combat the whole "no boot" problem!

Does she use the wide "pram" parking spaces at tesco? :crackup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
why do people spend books on atrack day car when you can buy a single seater which will do 0 to 100 mph in 5 seconds.

for about 11k

thats twice as fast as any noble catafield etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you are interested in a more track orientated car then there is also the Quafie R40 (i think). looks very good and you can put whatever engine in it you like, as long as its mated to their 6 speed sequential 'box. the demo was running a Lotus twin turbo V8 (but they said they would be doing 1 with a ford duratec to) and looked the bogs weighing in at about 750kg wit hthe 450bhp V8!!!!!!

the rolling chassis and box costs £30K plus the dreaded and then its up to you on the engine, although they may help out.

so stick a nicely tuned Cossy lump in there with about 400bhp and you will ahve a real flier.

also oyu may want to look at the new lotus R240.

thanks Chris.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts