Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like us poor Irish Evo owners are up $hit creek here!! The petrol companies have decided to stop importing any fuel over 95RON!! This is due to our goverment taxing it up to the hilt with levies based on petrols RON rating rather than its Sulphur content. For the past couple of months we have been paying up to 30% more for Super Plus (97ron) over the standard 95ron unleaded, as a result of these high prices people have not been buying it and the petrol companies can't justify bringing it in for such a select market:(
What are the options here lads? run the Evo with some Octane booster? Broquet in tank pellets? Get car tuned to run on 95RON (if even possible??) or sell up and buy a Toyota Corolla!!

I'm very ****** off here and don't know what's the best thing to do as I drive my Evo every day! :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Best to stock up on lorry loads of octane boost if I were you!! You good get it tuned for 95 RON but you'll suffer quite a considerable performance loss to avoid detonation.

It'd prob work out cheaper for you to buy 95ron + octane boost than to buy super unleaded anyhow!!

Even over here:

Tank of Optimax - £45
Tank of Normal - £42 + £4 Octan booster. not really that much in it!!

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
martincarew said:
Best to stock up on lorry loads of octane boost if I were you!! You good get it tuned for 95 RON but you'll suffer quite a considerable performance loss to avoid detonation.

It'd prob work out cheaper for you to buy 95ron + octane boost than to buy super unleaded anyhow!!

Even over here:

Tank of Optimax - £45
Tank of Normal - £42 + £4 Octan booster. not really that much in it!!
I agree with that Martin - there's a place up here which does a box off 10 bottles of Octane boost for £30.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I thought that prelonged use of Octane Booster using a lower RON fuel could still lead to problems.

It's worth finding out how much a 95 Ron remp would cost and how much power will actually be down.

It's a real bummer for you Irish boys! :mad:

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
hobbers said:
I thought that prelonged use of Octane Booster using a lower RON fuel could still lead to problems
supposedly can knacker your lambda sensor over time .....

the ECU will compensate for 95ron
...if you're worried...get a 'knock-link' to see effects if any
- if there is pinging...then run lower boost

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Re map for 95 ron

I didnt think the ECU on anything earlier than a VII would adjust enough for 95 ron as some were set to run on 100 ron in Japan.

A knocklink would have to be tuned in to your engine by a tuner using det cans unless it is programmed for Evo det it may not recognise it.

Jez

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
if your lambda sensor is working ok....should compensate ok
all the ECU's doing is retarding the ignition and/or curve

re: knock link
believe DaveG & RichW run these with good success
worth the money...approx £140

btw
my current 'project' runs just the same with 95 or anything higher
but I'm running a 6-bolt crank / better pistons & rods

·
Registered
210 Posts
;) We have a 6 and it runs on unleaded petorl. some times we put super plus in. if we put optimax in it runs like a big of crap. so it can be done. we took it to a place at Notts, they have never seen a evo that ran on unleaded before. well they have now. :eek:

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
mitsygirl1 said:
;) We have a 6 and it runs on unleaded petorl. some times we put super plus in. if we put optimax in it runs like a big of crap. so it can be done. we took it to a place at Notts, they have never seen a evo that ran on unleaded before. well they have now. :eek:
:confused:
erm...can you explain what you mean

are you saying that you normally run the car on 95ron unleaded...
& it runs worse on Optimax which is a higher octane petrol ?
Has the ECU been remapped ?

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
It would feel like a rocket ship if it was detting;)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
mitsygirl1 said:
run it on unleaed, the car is sharp. Run it on optimax and it is pants, it thinks about moving then it goes, not good if you want to over take.
think you'll find that you're probably the only one on the MLR forums that has the exact opposite results when using Optimax & 95-unleaded......than what is normally the case

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I would never run a car designed for 100RON petrol on 95 Octane without some sort of Octane booster. If you are close to Northern Ireland could you just go over the border for it?...or maybe build a pipeline!!! :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
Our car was brought over by Mitsubishi in South end, its not an official numbered car but it was brought over by Mitsubishi and first registerd in this country, so even though all evos are imported ours is recognised by DVLA as a uk vehicle. it also came with climate and an electric roof, we were told that the original customer requested the roof. We bought a Ralliart ECU and tried that but it seemed to make no difference. we took it to be looked at because they didnt believe us, and they tried the ralliart ecu against the original ecu and also against a jap import ecu, all ecu's were tried on Optimax, then all tried on unleaded, the original ecu performed the best on unleaded, the oppinion was stick with standared ecu as it could of been tweeked for this country, however this is not for shaw. all we know is that it seems to be better on unleaded, and NO there is no detting or any thing :moon: just cheaper fuel

·
Registered
19 Posts
GSRed said:
Seems like us poor Irish Evo owners are up $hit creek here!! The petrol companies have decided to stop importing any fuel over 95RON!! This is due to our goverment taxing it up to the hilt with levies based on petrols RON rating rather than its Sulphur content. For the past couple of months we have been paying up to 30% more for Super Plus (97ron) over the standard 95ron unleaded, as a result of these high prices people have not been buying it and the petrol companies can't justify bringing it in for such a select market:(
What are the options here lads? run the Evo with some Octane booster? Broquet in tank pellets? Get car tuned to run on 95RON (if even possible??) or sell up and buy a Toyota Corolla!!

I'm very ****** off here and don't know what's the best thing to do as I drive my Evo every day! :confused: :confused:
My friend has had a evo 6 for near 6 years. He never put in the super unleaded, just use the 95 Ron. but up to now, his evo6 still ok, no problem!! or u can re-map ECU to run the 95 Ron unleaded!(I heard that from my friends they did it in china. cos there r much lower Ron value..lower than 90.)

·
North Scotland R.O
13,412 Posts
mitsygirl1 said:
Our car was brought over by Mitsubishi in South end, its not an official numbered car but it was brought over by Mitsubishi and first registerd in this country, so even though all evos are imported ours is recognised by DVLA as a uk vehicle. it also came with climate and an electric roof, we were told that the original customer requested the roof. We bought a Ralliart ECU and tried that but it seemed to make no difference. we took it to be looked at because they didnt believe us, and they tried the ralliart ecu against the original ecu and also against a jap import ecu, all ecu's were tried on Optimax, then all tried on unleaded, the original ecu performed the best on unleaded, the oppinion was stick with standared ecu as it could of been tweeked for this country, however this is not for shaw. all we know is that it seems to be better on unleaded, and NO there is no detting or any thing :moon: just cheaper fuel
thats an amazing one off car you have there ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
xlr8 said:
if your lambda sensor is working ok....should compensate ok
all the ECU's doing is retarding the ignition and/or curve

re: knock link
believe DaveG & RichW run these with good success
worth the money...approx £140

btw
my current 'project' runs just the same with 95 or anything higher
but I'm running a 6-bolt crank / better pistons & rods
Lambda sensor will not work in WOT it is for closed-loop part throttle operation only and can not tell accurately how rich/lean the engine is running - just that it is lean or rich (unlike a wideband lambda sensor). Knock sensors will not work either if the ECU cannot back the advance off by enough degrees.

I don't think there's much point getting a knock-link as you really need a one-time fix (rather than octane booster etc).

What about US-spec Evos? Surely they have to cater for this? Could you not get a US ECU or something like that?

Alternatively could build a box of tricks to fool the ECU into thinking the crank position was a couple of degrees further on than it is (sort of how a Unichip works) so that it injects earlier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts