Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fitted a full catback exhaust with matching downpipe on my EvoV RS. Also have an electronic boost control and AFC. For consistency's sake, all are by Apex'i. Except for an open type air filter (got rid of the standard plastic airbox), which is a K and amp;N unit. Not other mods really.

Problem-- I have no power gains over stock!

I've had the car on a rolling-road (the same one in fact, used to tune Manuel Go's crazy 400|PLS| BHP Evo), and the data show that there's no power gain over stock! As the Dynojet RR used returns HP at the driven wheels, completely stock Evo's usually return HP figures of between 210-215 on this same exact dyno.

From everything I've read on this and other boards, a good intake/exhaust set-up should yield an additional 20-30HP. Yet my car could only muster 212HP, after an hour of RR tuning (adjusting the air/fuel mix using the S-AFC). Note that this figure already represents a gain over it's pre-tuning reading!

The mechanic in charge of the tuning is I believe, largely responsible for putting together Manuel's wild Evo, as well as for prepping a competition Civic capable of sub 11-sec quarter mile runs. So I think he knows his stuff.

I have no idea how Apex'i exhausts compare with the Magnex units most of the folk on this board are so satisfied with, but Apex'i is a major (and premium) supplier of go-fast parts in Japan, so I'd imagine the bits I bought are up to snuff.

So... what gives?!?!! This is very frustrating and disappointing for me, as you can probably imagine!

Any thoughts appreciated!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there a fan in front of the RR?
Have you measured before and afterwards on the same RR?
Have you tried it on the road? Isnt it better at high revs?
RRs cant always meet up with real life conditions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Claudius,

Is there a fan in front of the RR?
yes there was one. And even if there wasn't one, stock Evo's have been measured on that same RR in the past, and return the 210-215 BHP figure mentioned. So even with the exhaust I have fitted, the car is only on a par with stock! By the way, this is the ONLY RR in the Philippines available for tuning!

Have you measured before and afterwards on the same RR?
No, have never ran it on the RR with the stock set-up, unfortunately. Too much trouble, and too pricey!

Have you tried it on the road? Isnt it better at high revs?
Yes, it does FEEL better, though slight loss of low-end torque, which is expected. Torque peak, per RR tracings is now at 4k RPM's. Problem is that I've learned not to trust my butt-o-meter dyno, because all too often I feel what i want to feel! |EQU|)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, the buttometer thing is true.
Now I would say that if you havent measured it before, you cannot tell whether or not it is less good. Maybe your car was less powerful than stock. You know that there is a 5% tolerance...
Get an ECU. If someone in the Phillipines knows how to set one up. Otherwise, just order a Sports ECU from Ralliart together with the right size restrictor and you will think you fly! We tried one on MAXI's Evo and it makes a big difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, had the car on the RR again yesterday, and also did some other checks to the condition of my motor. There's good news and bad news, but I think the mystery is largely solved.

Bad news is, cylinder number 3 is starting to lose compression... so I will eventually have to do a rebuild. However the problem is not yet serious, and I can afford to continue running the car w/o losing sleep that the engine will grenade itself. Worst case, the cylinder just continues to lose compression and the car will eventually be down on power.

The good news is, the low power output seems to have been caused by my boost controller (Apex'i AVC-R) playing a bit too safe. It would peak at about 1.05 bar, but then hold at only 0.8 (which i believe is less than stock?). So with slight fettling, it's still peaking at under 1.1 bar, but now holds about 0.9 to 1.0. Power is now up to 232HP at the driven wheels, which is about 20HP up on stock, given that bone stock Evo's do between 208 and 212HP on this particular RR.

Many thanks to Manuel Go (TurboAWD) and his guys for their help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts