Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,

Got stopped last night by a motorist who informed me that i had NO! brake lights:(.
Had a look when i got home and all bulbs are ok, switch on pedal tested and ok with current going to it and switching ok. Only thing is can't find the relay (if there is one) for the brake lights, and because the car is an import everything is in Japanese!!. Relay seems to be the culprit as i seem to remember hearing it switch when i put my foot on the brake pedal and there's nothing to be heard now, either that or i have a broken wire somewhere!:(.

Anyone out there that can help?, i'm sure the wiring layout is the same as the E1-3.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
very unlikely 2 b a relay 4 the brake lights the clicking is the brake light switch, first thing 2 check is the service fuse , then the bulbs and then the earth which wud affect the other rear lights 2.

Bulbs can surge when they fail which can cause a fuse 2 blow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I checked all the fuses and they're ok. The tail lights and brake lights share a common earth, so because the tail lights are working fine it rules out an earth problem. Looking as if i've a broken wire between the switch and lights somewhere:(. I've just been checking out a wiring diagram for a Galant and it has no relay only a direct feed from the switch to the lights, so you're right there ;)

Anyway thanks, i'll have to go ripping up carpets now :(.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Found the problem :D, turns out it was the switch after all. When i took it out to test it worked fine but when it was installed it would stick open due to the gradual operation of the pedal. A quick clean and a squirt of silicone spray sorted it ;).

Cheers;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.