Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,how many of you run no ABS on track?

Only asking as I did oulton park today freezing and wet and felt very weird

Running xp10 pads all round,but everytime I put over three quarters pedal pressure then it locked up...was a bit scary few times hurtling towards a bend.:eek::lol:

Was running x22 super soft tyres,so couldn't go any softer for more grip really.

My car wants 2 ABS sensors...but do you guys just drive round it or what?

Does a working ABS system give you more pedal pressure before it engages than with out ABS...as it bloody felt so...or is it down to a shytee driver:D:handsup:

Any info welcome

:smthumbup

·
acting daft since 1969
19,604 Posts
proper working ABS cant make you slower phil ,it only kicks in IF a wheel stops spinning ,IE locked up
YES its unnerving and most let off but keep your foot on the brakes you should be able to corner quicker

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
proper working ABS cant make you slower phil ,it only kicks in IF a wheel stops spinning ,IE locked up
YES its unnerving and most let off but keep your foot on the brakes you should be able to corner quicker
Maybe to do with track temps at zero degrees too...and wet/greasy

Tyres had next to no heat in them.

that's my "excuse" anyway:lol:

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
ABS won't give you more pedal pressure, it will give you the indication of more pressure, because once activated you can push the pedal as hard as you want and nothing will change. It's just perception that's all.

If there is no grip, you have to adjust everything to suit, less corner speed, less pedal pressure before lock-up. Totally normal.

This is where good quality designed calipers help a lot, as they give you very good feel and progression allowing you to get up to that lock-up point but not into it, allowing you to utilise the grip to the maximum.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think the ABS on the evo is to sensitive

I was out on track at Combe last year and every time i came upto avon rise and started braking the car was not close to locking brakes but could feel the ABS starting to kick in. everywhere else on track applying same pedal pressure it was fine but only on the run upto avon rise so a bit weird

i am removing the ABS and fitting braided brake lines with a bias valve very soon to hope this helps with braking feel on track

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,879 Posts
Hi,how many of you run no ABS on track?

Only asking as I did oulton park today freezing and wet and felt very weird

Running xp10 pads all round,but everytime I put over three quarters pedal pressure then it locked up...was a bit scary few times hurtling towards a bend.:eek::lol:

Was running x22 super soft tyres,so couldn't go any softer for more grip really.

My car wants 2 ABS sensors...but do you guys just drive round it or what?

Does a working ABS system give you more pedal pressure before it engages than with out ABS...as it bloody felt so...or is it down to a shytee driver:D:handsup:

Any info welcome

:smthumbup
If it was freezing and wet then your ABS was kicking in as your wheels were locking up. The "good" thing about ABS is that you can tell from the peddle that it is kicking in and you can use that push-back to threshold break. ABS in cold wet conditions is a bit scary, but if you didn't have ABS it would still be scary cos you'd be understeering to an extreme extent toward whatever you were currently looking at. As Clive said, if you have lower traction then you need to adjust your driving. The laws of physics are universal and your car will always obey them, and in cold wet conditions you have to adjust.

·
Anthony
3,743 Posts
Not having ABS will not make anyone faster. It will help you to hit things though.

If the ABS is kicking in too early or too severely, it will be either be driver error (braking too late and too hard), or a set up problem eg. poor choice of / worn Pads, Calipers not working right, ****e tyres, or too much rake (common on Evo's).

If everything is right, you will very rarely hit ABS and certainly not enough to have to worry about it.

Mind you car handling fine tuning and braking performance should not be evaluated when it's freezing and wet anyway because you are driving in very inconsistent conditions. So in this case and as said above, it is was perhaps simply a case of not making enough adjustments to driving style to suit the conditions.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
I think the ABS on the evo is to sensitive

I was out on track at Combe last year and every time i came upto avon rise and started braking the car was not close to locking brakes but could feel the ABS starting to kick in.
Of course it was starting to lock the brakes, that's why the ABS was activating. The ABS ECU works to a defined set of rules, it doesn't 'lie'

As soon as it sees a wheel deceleration above a pre-determined amount, it will release brake pressure. You were probably just starting to lock a rear wheel, thus the pulsating pedal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts