Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,im looking into one of the above,to tow my evo to trackdays,as well as my daily ...budget around 7k..more than likely the navara. 2.5 diesel

(or even toyota hilux)

Anyone own one or have any info on these?,..problems etc

Can pick up a decent one with leather,nav for around 6-8k.

Did take a quick look at the ford ranger,but was put off by a few people.

thanks for any info.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I've run 2 Navara's over the last 3 years. A 2008 model which had few electronic issues and a 2012 model which did a lot of hard towing work on the road and off road and the only things I've had issues with on this is the front propshaft joints and wheel bearings. Brilliant comfy pick up, great for towing and would always go for one....

Unfortunately my boss has bought me a company pickup now which is a ford ranger..... utter dog sh!te. Would never buy one myself.

IMO my top 5 pickups would be...

1) Navara- brilliant all rounder
2) Toyota- expensive to buy
3) Isuzu- expensive for parts
4) VW- sluggish towing
5) Mitsubishi- very thirsty

Hope it's of some help

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Only thing I've seen is what's in the news right now with many of them snapping in half.

Rear leaf springs also prone to snapping. Changed a couple on L200's

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Isn't it only a handful that are affected... Or ones with excessive chassis rust. Hence inspect vigourously.
They're taking them off the rad regardless over here. One breaker must have over 100 for dismantling all got off Nissan. I personally wouldn't take the chance buying a "good" one today that may be rotten next year.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
I had a navara now a ranger there bad for rust, wheel bearings mine also had issues with rusty sump and bearings on the prop, snapped leaf springsetc wasn't even that old, was a nice place to be as mine had leather but much prefer my new ranger, some of the more basic ones are just that very basic plastic feeling inside

·
#armchairtuner
8,722 Posts
Phil, Nissan have just bought back my Navara, 56 plate, 85,000 miles as it failed their inspection, chassis rotten in multiple areas and fractured in a couple of places.

There appears to be issues with alot of the Spanish built 05-08 models due to bad metal in the chassis rails which either rot out or fracture.

Its a pity because they are a great truck for towing and all round use. There are still good ones around but I would look at the later models if possible.

There is a group on Facebook for Navara snapped chassis, lots of pictures from various years showing the issues.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
You'll hear all sorts of horror stories but they'll be pre 09. So yes after 09 are fine. As I say I've had my 12 plate and done serious amount of heavy towing on road and up rough fell tracks with the back fully loaded too. Mine had 115k miles on it and never missed a beat.

Plus (if I've understood properly) why would Mercedes use the navara chassis and engine in there new pickup?!?

It's like everything... look after it and it'll look after you!!
I did the same amount of towing etc with my old 08 navara... it never snapped!

The tekna is the one to go for with sat nav and leather. Full services history obviously lol!

I also had mine mapped to 230bhp, sh!t load of torque and it pulled like a train!!

·
Registered
261 Posts

Mines a old girl 2004 but is top spec with leather Aircon electrics tows very well has a 2" lift kit and it never lets me down :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Me personally would stay clear of the Nissan I always stay to the l200 had new shape first which was brilliant so much power but needed to free some money for the gtr so bought old shape which is a lot slower but still pulls well

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Navara's are renowned as being ****e, the late model for snapping its chassis, the previous model for the engine eating itself

L200 is a good pickup and doesnt behave like a tractor on the road like a Hilux does, it also doesnt come at a premium priice either

1 - 20 of 26 Posts