Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to top up Hydraulic fluids when you don't know which type is in there to start with?( of course not being stupid enough to use AYC fluid for Brake fluid?!)
only i was folowing the thread on dry and wet braking fluid the other day and and it got 'complex'.......but i did understand what they were talking about in a magazine article after reading the thread!:)

Colie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If yr talking brake fluid then yes it's ok 2 (but not ideal) 2 mix fluids , EXCEPT , 4 silicone fluid. This must only b topped up with silicone. However , silicone fluid is not the best 2 use in a performance car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't know what brake fluid is being used then rather than top it up I would flush and replace the whole lot through with new fluid (it should be done every 6 to 12 months on an Evo anyway). You are only talking about £10-£20 and a bit of time if you do it yourself.
I have never had to top mine up (expect after bleeding and a test run), if it's getting really low then check the pad/disc wear as that and a leak should be the only thing that will alter the level. Remember if you fit new discs/pads then it will overflow if you have previously topped up the reservoir so be careful!
If you do want to top up then all DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 fluids should be compatiable but read the label on the fluid container, it should tell whether there is a compatiability problem.
Never use a mineral based fluid (Castrol LHM for example), you will wreck the system!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Evoboy sneaked in first again :D

Yeah definitely don't use Silcone based fluids (DOT 5), they are good for longevity (well even thats debateable) but crap for performance, designed for Micra owners ;).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts