Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I has been talked about extensively, but all I wish to know is where/how and rough cost to have ALS fitted, I would assume that this would run quite nicely alongside the Apexi's (please don't say I have to go for Gems or Motec)

One other thing - with ALS would the Apexi's need re-setting up?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ants,
If I'm correct in thinking (and no doubt someone will tell me if I'm not ;)) ALS will require some form of programmable ECU in order to achieve the correct ignition timing retardation and extra fuel/air to the exhaust manifold.

There have been quite a few good threads recently on ALS and the secondary air system (which I believe could be used as part of a ALS setup but no-one has ever confirmed this for me...). Try having a search and see what comes up.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Andy

If have read in depth about this, but these were, as you said, with motec or gems ecu, as the apexi can alter boost and air/fuel mixture I would have thought that this would be able to be re-programmed to take in account of all of this. Or am I totally wrong?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Apex'i SAFC (ITC) cannot be programmed to do ALS.
It is an interceptor that modifies only the air meter signal (ignition signal) to adapt the fuel curve (ignition timing) by % amounts across the rev range. It does not have the required logic (switching between modes of operation) to account for antilag strategies. Programmable ecus only. (unless someone sells standalone ALS?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ants,
As usual there, there will be more than one way of going about ALS and you may be able to do it with the Apexi but I'm not to hot on what you can get these to do.

You probably know this already but what you need to do is when the throttle is closed, throw an excess of fuel into the chamber, add some air and wait until the exhaust valve is open before igniting the mixture. You can ignite the mixture in a variety of ways. Some systems just use the heat of the exhaust manifold to hopefully ignite it, others use an extra spark plug mounted into the manifold and controlled from the ECU and some retard the ignition enough so that the exhaust valve is open before igniting the mixture. Also, most systems keep the throttle partially open to get the extra air into the combustion chamber when running ALS but this can lead to idling problems and make the car a pain to drive low down in the rev range. This is where, I believe, that you can use the secondary air system to overcome these problems by using this system to provide the extra air and not keeping the throttle open.

The other thing that you need to consider if you're going for anti lag is that you will lose the servo assistance on your brakes because this works off the vacuum in the intake on throttle closed and with ALS, you'll still be generating boost in the intake under these conditions. You will therefore need a seperate vac pump to supply the servo for the brakes.

Hope this helps but I can't really comment about the Apexi because I don't know enough about them.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AntsEvo,
Bottom line is about £3k .

But..............u r wasting yr money M8 , it's simply superfluous on a road or track day car , yr money wud b better directed 2 more effective mods.

Unless , u want it just 4 the noise and flames...................and a prematurely expired turbo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lets forget that then!! - Unless someone does make a bolt on jobby kit??

Does now seem though that any fancy mods would really require a re-programable ecu, if I could learn how to do it myself I would go down that route.

Thanks again for everyone's help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ants - Power Engineering have got it working on the standard ECU, but you can't switch it off :(

Don't do it - turbo's cost too much. You can get flames on the overrun anyway, so why bother with ALS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Blade, as always..i'll take your advice, just one thing Blade, Overrun?..what exactly do you mean by that?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its where you change up near the redline, and the engine overruns slightly during the change, and runs rich causing a nice flame.

Happens when you are gunning it down a straight and changing at the limit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr Mine, the car will already fail the MOT!

But have decided to shelve the idea - probably now go for the 380 RC developments conversion - but (just for you Blade) will speak to PE, as they are relatively local to me - as long as they don't take all the stuff I have out - i'm sure they won't, some tuners do!! (no I wonder who that could be?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts