Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my names Tim. Ive always wanted an evo for ages but insurance etc out that dream out of the question.
Now I'm 25 insurance is lets just say reasonable, but I'm at a point in my life where I need to think about moving out, rent or mortgage and all the rest of it and well I'm just trying to calculate whether or not an evo is possible.

I need to be realistic because if I can't even have funds for a social life or saving etc then unfortunately the evo will just be a pipe dream.

Ive searched and search to gather as much info on evo running costs (also used the calculator which I found excellent) as I can and wel have even developed a rough spreadsheet to help me calculate say a rough monthly figure to keep it on the road.

Mileage would be around 8000 miles/year but obvoiusly will need two services. Comes in just over £500 a year in servicing.

Its the consumables I'm unsure of. I know this will differ year on year but can anyone give me a rough idea on how much to budget for consumables (brakes/tyres/clutch) a year and other parts etc that may need replaced.

I had a figure of £900 a year for just consumables but am I way off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Tim

·
Registered
533 Posts
Depends on condition of said items at time of purchase
Also driving style and the quality of items,also upgrades are inevitable
Try to buy one with these and you won't go too far wrong
These cars are affordable don't worry:thumbup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
It will depend a lot on how you drive it. Fuel, tyres, brakes and clutch can all be used fairly sparingly, or obliterated in an Evo. Because of this it's probably pretty tricky to come up with a rough monthly figure.

£900 per year for consumables (mainly servicing/tyres etc) may be about right, but doesn't account for any unforseen issues, repairs, mods, or fuel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Based on my rough calculations an evo would cost in the region of £6000 a year to run / £500 a month.

·
Registered
42 Posts
£500 a month! My 5 running at about 380bhp with regular servicing and decent fuel etc. probably costs me about £250 a month alltogether including insurance and I'm only 22.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
£500 a month! My 5 running at about 380bhp with regular servicing and decent fuel etc. probably costs me about £250 a month alltogether including insurance and I'm only 22.
Insurance - £950
Fuel - £3000 over 8k miles on 97ron
Servicing - £500
Tax - £470
Consumables - £900
Mot - £40

Around £6k per year and £500/month

·
Premium Member
A pure IX FQ360 MR.
1,245 Posts
As mentioned above the crux of the matter is buying one that's been looked after and had time/mileage sensitive parts replaced. £900 just for consumables is way off I think. Minor services should be in the region of £180 with the major services on a sliding scale starting from around £250 up to about £500. But the more expensive services are due at 36k/45k intervals so they're not needed every year. As the consumables needed for the service are included in the price that leaves fewer things need in between. The main thing will be fuel and pads. Tyres and maybe disks but they're not going to be needed every year unless you drive like a loon. The biggest expenses come with things like clutches, diffs, gearboxes etc. But probably the biggest expense is modding. The best thing would be to build up a little pot for when things do let go. But that shouldn't be that often in all honesty. I've had my ix for three and half years and needed very little other than regular service items. Two front struts, pads, disks (more preference than necessity), set of tyres and a exhaust doughnut. I think that's been it. Might be worth waiting till your settled in somewhere and see how much money you have to play with. Years ago I was in same position. Had option to buy a mates evo but chose house instead. Few years later and with better job pay rise etc bought better evo and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
A pure IX FQ360 MR.
1,245 Posts
Let's put it this way. If, after all fixed costs like insurance servicing and fuel allowance are budgeted for, if you can save a hundred quid a month then that's £1200 after a year which will be enough to cover things like a clutch and flywheel, ayc pump and mostly, I would say, a gear box re-build or a diff replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As mentioned above the crux of the matter is buying one that's been looked after and had time/mileage sensitive parts replaced. £900 just for consumables is way off I think. Minor services should be in the region of £180 with the major services on a sliding scale starting from around £250 up to about £500. But the more expensive services are due at 36k/45k intervals so they're not needed every year. As the consumables needed for the service are included in the price that leaves fewer things need in between. The main thing will be fuel and pads. Tyres and maybe disks but they're not going to be needed every year unless you drive like a loon. The biggest expenses come with things like clutches, diffs, gearboxes etc. But probably the biggest expense is modding. The best thing would be to build up a little pot for when things do let go. But that shouldn't be that often in all honesty. I've had my ix for three and half years and needed very little other than regular service items. Two front struts, pads, disks (more preference than necessity), set of tyres and a exhaust doughnut. I think that's been it. Might be worth waiting till your settled in somewhere and see how much money you have to play with. Years ago I was in same position. Had option to buy a mates evo but chose house instead. Few years later and with better job pay rise etc bought better evo and never looked back.
Very detailed response. Appreciate it and all other comments. Guess I'll wait a couple of years before then deciding on an evo. ATM I drive a clio 200 cup which is a fantastic little car but you literally have to drive it like you stole in all of the time and because of this mpg is around 24 ha! Just can't help but crave boost but can't fault the clio in the past year I've owned it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let's put it this way. If, after all fixed costs like insurance servicing and fuel allowance are budgeted for, if you can save a hundred quid a month then that's £1200 after a year which will be enough to cover things like a clutch and flywheel, ayc pump and mostly, I would say, a gear box re-build or a diff replacement.
The estimated servicing costs from using the calculator on here. That doesn't include brake pads or disks etc right? So would need to budget say an extra 500 ish for them also. So maybe £900 a year for consumables is a bit much on top of servicing. If I just tried to save that anyway and therefore if something was to go then I'd have money there.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you've got luck like me then something WILL break lol. This can range from a couple of quid to needing several thousands spent on an engine rebuild!

In short tho, it's a case of how longs a piece of string.....

·
Premium Member
A pure IX FQ360 MR.
1,245 Posts
The estimated servicing costs from using the calculator on here. That doesn't include brake pads or disks etc right? So would need to budget say an extra 500 ish for them also. So maybe £900 a year for consumables is a bit much on top of servicing. If I just tried to save that anyway and therefore if something was to go then I'd have money there.
No doesn't include disks and pads. There's an option to add them below but the prices it comes up with are very pessimistic. £900 for brakes is way off unless your going big brake kit like APs or Alcons K-sport etc. You can get decent disks and road pads all round for circa £300. Oem clutch and flywheel for, say around £700/800. That may even be fitted as well. Have a look Around the site/traders pages and you'll get an idea of prices for stuff. While Mitsubishi will quote silly money for anything major most stuff can be had for about a third of what they charge. Things like the ayc pump can be refurbed as well instead of having to buy new which makes a decent saving. If you budget the way you're thinking you'll be fine lol. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts