Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

An Evo owner and friend of mine who now lives in the Atlanta area but originally is from London informed me of this site.

The forums we use in the US only cover the Evo VIII, and the car is still only a couple of years old to us. I thought I'd register for some good technical talk with my Evo brethren overseas. :)

My car is a Tarmac Black '03 model with various modifications. On a Dyno Dynamics dyno, it made 298whp on 93 octane pump and 318whp race fuel. No large turbo upgrade just yet, as I'm using a 10.5cm hotsided titanium turbo from the Evo 6.5 RS.

Anyway, thanks for letting me post up and I'm glad to be here!

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
SUSSEX REIMS said:
whats a 93 octane pump? (sorry to be thick), wot sort of uprate is it. I think the common uprated one on EVO's over here is 255ltrs?
He means 93 octane fuel (ie from a pump\fuel pump). I think our cars would blow up if we used 93 octane fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, 93 octane fuel from the gas pump. Its really quite poor fuel, but the best we can get on a daily basis. My race gas map is 110 octane leaded, but I can only buy that fuel on special occasions, as its quite expensive for me. :)

As far as power, the US has Dynojets and they read very high, but the Dyno Dynamics Dyno I use supplies more realistic data IMO.

For what it is worth, in shootout mode, the car its making about 380HP flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
Noize said:
Sorry, 93 octane fuel from the gas pump. Its really quite poor fuel, but the best we can get on a daily basis. My race gas map is 110 octane leaded, but I can only buy that fuel on special occasions, as its quite expensive for me. :)

As far as power, the US has Dynojets and they read very high, but the Dyno Dynamics Dyno I use supplies more realistic data IMO.

For what it is worth, in shootout mode, the car its making about 380HP flywheel.
So you're saying that the difference between 93 and 110 fuel is a mere 20 BHP at the wheels? Sorry but I flat refuse to believe that. What mods have been done to the car?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
SUSSEX REIMS said:
Wot other mods m8? thats quite a respectable fig there and just wondered whether its been obtained in the usual fashion?
***note to self...must type faster!!! :rolleyes: :D

Also could u run a well mapped car on 2 such different oct fuels??? spose u could have 2 maps but i mean 23oct is *****!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a list of my current modifications:

-Vishnu (ChipTorque) XEDE for fuel management
-Taipan XP turbo-back exhaust (with stock O2 housing)
-Evo 6.5 RS 10.5cm^2 16G
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump
-HKS 264 intake and 264 exhaust cams
-AMS front mount intercooler and lower IC pipe upgrade
-Japanese MR diverter valve
-stainless steel tubular manifold
-25mm rear swaybar
-Ferodo brake pads
-ACT 2900lb clutch
-Volk/Rays CE38N 17*8 wheels
-Mitsubishi Vortex generator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Called my UK friend for clarification...

He says that 98RON in the UK is research method of calculation octane, where we use motor octane. According to him, it has been said that 93 motor octane is similar to 98RON in the UK. Sorry for any confusion.

If you tell me how to attach pictures, I'd be more than glad to upload my dyno graphs for you guys. :)

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
I know octane and RON differ, but I wasn't aware it was by that much. No doubt AndyF_RSX will come along and enlighten us all :)

The point still stands though, I can't see how that difference in octane only generates an extra 20 BHP ATW.

Edited to clarify: I think the octane rating is the average of RON and MON. RON being what is on the pump (98 for Optimax) and MON being some super secret number that fuel companies refuse to release. For 93 octane fuel to have a 98 RON would mean its MON is 88. Again I look to the all knowing AndyF_RSX :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SUSSEX REIMS said:
***note to self...must type faster!!! :rolleyes: :D

Also could u run a well mapped car on 2 such different oct fuels??? spose u could have 2 maps but i mean 23oct is *****!
The Chiptorque XEDE has map switching. I have a switch in my glove box that toggles between the two maps. I run 21psi tapering to 17.5psi on pump and peak at about 24psi on race fuel.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
US octane rating = (RON + MON) / 2

As I understand it the US 89 octane pump gas is roughly equivalent to our 95 RON basic unleaded, with their 91 and 93 octane being similar to super unleaded (97 RON) and our Optimax type fuels (98+ RON). As far as I am aware MON is almost always a lower figure than RON for any given fuel which explains the discrepancy between RON and octane rating ;)

PS my stock 6 GSR got 220bhp atw on a Dyno Dynamics in shoot_44 mode so ~300 is good going. I'm assuming you are running 1.6bar (22psi) or more boost to get those figures on a TD05-16g6 :D

Hang on, the 6.5 (Tommi Makinen) got the td05-15gk2, did the TME RS get a 16g or did it still use the 15gk2? (better response but slightly lower max flow from the 15gk2)

PPS welcome to the site :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
NumptyScrub said:
US octane rating = (RON + MON) / 2

As I understand it the US 89 octane pump gas is roughly equivalent to our 95 RON basic unleaded, with their 91 and 93 octane being similar to super unleaded (97 RON) and our Optimax type fuels (98+ RON). As far as I am aware MON is almost always a lower figure than RON for any given fuel which explains the discrepancy between RON and octane rating ;)

Thanks for clarifying :)

PS my stock 6 GSR got 220bhp atw on a Dyno Dynamics in shoot_44 mode so ~300 is good going. I'm assuming you are running 1.6bar (22psi) or more boost to get those figures on a TD05-16g6 :D

He is running 25psi tapering to about 18 at red line

Hang on, the 6.5 (Tommi Makinen) got the td05-15gk2, did the TME RS get a 16g or did it still use the 15gk2? (better response but slightly lower max flow from the 15gk2)

The TME 6.5 RS had the Titanium 16G...it was the TME 6.5 GSR that had the 15G

PPS welcome to the site :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its the RS TD05HRA16G610.5T, so yeah its a 16G. I made 298 in regular run mode. In Shoot_44, the car makes ~380whp.

Forgot to mention a mod above somehow: Vishnu cam gears set at -3/-3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts