Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X RS
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my FQ300 from Gordon Lamb's at Sheffield yesterday - was in a bit of a hurry due to working last night, and have only just started to have a good look round it.

I've only got a service manual - no owners manual as such - do these exist for the VIII?

It has half worn Goodyear F1's on the back, and new Kumho Ecsta's on the front. Unsurprisingly, there doesn't seem as much front end grip as I would expect - would I be better off swapping them round, or leave them as they are to keep the tail in line?

No cigaratte lighter - I dont smoke so don't need it, but the empty socket looks strange - thought it might be in the glove box or door pockets but no joy - I assume these are standard, and not a BMW style optional extra?

The key has what I assume are central locking buttons, but I also have the immobilser keys, and alarm fobs - what should I be doing with what, 'cos it'll be just be luck to find I'm only locking the car and not alarming it.

Apart from that, I'm over the moon with it - did about 26mpg running back up the motorway at a fairly steady 80'ish, got to silly speeds in double quick time on a run out at dinner time, and everyone's staring at it :D

Only adverse comment was from the wife who'd only been out in a :gay: spoilered 260 with me, saw the carbon wing this morning and called it a Max Power car :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Scaffolder said:
I've only got a service manual - no owners manual as such - do these exist for the VIII?
You should have an onwers manual aswell.

It has half worn Goodyear F1's on the back, and new Kumho Ecsta's on the front. Unsurprisingly, there doesn't seem as much front end grip as I would expect - would I be better off swapping them round, or leave them as they are to keep the tail in line?
IMHO all four tyres should be the same make and model. Having less grippy tyres on the front are likely to effect AYC function aswell as causing understeer.

No cigaratte lighter - I dont smoke so don't need it, but the empty socket looks strange - thought it might be in the glove box or door pockets but no joy - I assume these are standard, and not a BMW style optional extra?
Yes, there standard. It's probably had a camera detector at some point which is why the cigaratte lighter was removed.

The key has what I assume are central locking buttons, but I also have the immobilser keys, and alarm fobs - what should I be doing with what, 'cos it'll be just be luck to find I'm only locking the car and not alarming it.
The alarms are fitted when the cars coming into the UK. The buttons on the key control the central locking, windows and wing mirrors. The alarm fob will control the central locking and the alarm, so use the alarm fob to lock your car.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
151 Posts
There should be an owners manual and lighter. I certainly got them with mine, may be worth chasing the dealer.

Four new tyres would no doubt make a big difference to the car.

Great car mate, enjoy it.

Chris ;)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll put up with the tyres for now until I get used to the performance - once the F1's wear out, I'm planning on getting the wheels powder coated and will then get a full set of matched tyres.

Will get back onto the dealer about the manual, cigarette lighter and possibly the alarm - one alarm fob does something because the indicators flash, the other fob does nowt at the moment - will try changing the battery first though. Has anyone got a manual they could scan for me explaining what the key and fob buttons do - locking the car I can manage, but I'd like to know how to control the mirrors and windows.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The key for my 8 is just a key, no buttons. The alarm/immobiliser fob is a Cobra and thats the only thing with buttons. Sounds like yours could be different keys. I will try scanning the manual but won't make any promises 'cause I am **** with computers. But I will try.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine has 'cobra' key fobs seperate from the key, no buttons on the key, thats odd.
I would get that car checked, could be an import or stolen and re-keyed.
The key has a immobilser chip built in also, in case they get passed the 'cobra' alarm.
You should also have a little black tube type thing that you touch below where the key goes in, this is a emergency overide in case the alarm key fobs brake.
You need cr2032 batteries fir the fobs. :coolsm:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just been having fun and games this morning at the office when I lent the car to one of the other Directors - came back 5 mins. later when he couldn't get it started. I eventually got it started after randomly pressing buttons :rolleyes:

If anyone has a copy of the key / alarm section of the manual they could e-mail I would be eternally grateful - I might even be able to drive home tonight :D

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Scaffolder said:
Just been having fun and games this morning at the office when I lent the car to one of the other Directors - came back 5 mins. later when he couldn't get it started. I eventually got it started after randomly pressing buttons :rolleyes:

If anyone has a copy of the key / alarm section of the manual they could e-mail I would be eternally grateful - I might even be able to drive home tonight :D
The immobiliser will re-arm after 30 seconds if you have not started the car. You'll need to press the alarm button again to disarm.

After that it's de-press the clutch to start the car.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Scaffolder:

Hmm did you pass the roundabout near the team valley on Saturday (going up bensham bank)? I think i was behind you in my crap vectra :D

(thinking to meself, every time i see a bloody evo i never have my car).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Scaffolder said:
I'll put up with the tyres for now until I get used to the performance - once the F1's wear out, I'm planning on getting the wheels powder coated and will then get a full set of matched tyres.
If you aren't used to how it drives/handles then I think it would be more sensible to get four new tyres on as a matter of urgency.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just looked at my FQ300 keys, i've got a normal key and one with central locking buttons on. I've also the two cobra alarm fobs and two immobiliser key things. My alarm only flashes the indictors when armed or disarmed, although a friend with an 8 has the same alarm and his bleeps aswell, i'm told by mitsi its an option.

Mine is definatly not an import, so you don't need to worry about it, infact having a cobra alarm installed might prove its an official FQ, that and the FQ number sticker behind the gearstick :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Scaffolder said:

If you cant get it started tonight send me a pm & I'll come & give you a push
I just work up the road from you in Washington

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
This may have already been said but....

.... alarms are fitted to the cars when they arrive in the UK as the Jap fitted central locking system uses frequencies that are illegal over here. If the key has a button on it , the best thing you can do is remove the watch battery from the key and ONLY use the alarm fob (Cobra). Locking with the key will not arm the alarm.

On the key fob there should also be a black cylindrical looking thing which is the immobiliser key. If the car wont start apart from a flat battery it should just be the immobiliser. If you find the small circular key hole thingy that will be near the steering console (usually) somewhere, just touch the immo key int it and try startng it again.

If ya having probs pester the dealer - thats what you paid good money for!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Had same problem. I have lock-unlock buttons on my key, then the cobra fob as well. Pressing button on cobra fob locks and arms the car, so long as you`ve not got out and faffed around for a bit, then when you press the cobra button it just deactivates the immobilser (which automatically rearms if you leave the car for a set time). Took me a while to get into the habit of checking the door every time I`ve locked it after a couple of heartstopping moments when I thought I`d locked the car only to return to it unlocked (and unalarmed). Stupid system if you ask me..

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting used to it now, but will swap the keys over and leave the central locking key as the spare to prevent anyone else confusing them.

GlobalGB said:
Scaffolder:

Hmm did you pass the roundabout near the team valley on Saturday (going up bensham bank)? I think i was behind you in my crap vectra :D

(thinking to meself, every time i see a bloody evo i never have my car).
Depends what time - didn't get up to Dunston until 10pm, and then finished to go back to Teesside at 3:30am - the joys of scaffolding to railway bridges - why can't they stop the bloody trains during the day?!?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I'm interested in the comment about the buttons on the key operating the mirrors??

From what I know... and confirmed with the dealer.

Don't use the buttons to lock the car as they don't active the alarm.

Buttons on Cobra fob as follows.
Larger button with a (raised bump) :

Car state: Locked & Imob Active
Action: Unlock & Disarm Imob.

Car state: Unlocked & Imob Disarmed
Action: Lock & Activate Imob.

Car state: Unlocked & Imob Active (Red LED flashing)
Action: Deactivates Imob.

Small Button :
Action: Panic

Hope this helps
Welcome to the joy of EVO ownership.

Mark

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
congrats and welcome. now that youve mastered the keys and alarm lets get back to the tyres. it is advisable{strongly} to have 4 of the same. this will greatly enhance the handling of the car as well as possibly prevent costly repair bills on driveline components.the different grip levels and tire diameters all work against the handling system doing its job leading to among other things ,very scary high speed moments.these cars are a joy to drive give yourself the best possible chance.enjoy!

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Cobra keyfob.

Small button = Panic
Large button = toggle immobiliser on and off and lock / unlock doors.
Large button = If immobiliser has been disabled and you wait a minute, pressing the large button will disable the immobiliser again as after 1 minute the immobiliser re-arms itself. (this confuses a lot of people).
Large button = If you unlock/de-immobilise the car and it beeps three times. Someone has set the alarm off while you have been away.

Evo Key Fob

Press unlock once - unlocks door
Press unlock 3 times quickly - unfolds mirrors

Press lock once - locks door
Press lock twice (holding second one down) - locks and closes any windows
Press lock three times quickly - locks and folds mirrors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts