Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy tyre choice for my X.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's 265/35/18 XL

Had Goodyear's on my Evo's for years now and can not fault them. There may be better tyres about, but for the confidence the Goodyear's give me I always go for them.

Kev :smthumbup

Attachments

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I'd be really interested how your X is handling on this rubber. Why did you go for 265s instead of 245s? How much did you buy it for and from where?

Sorry for the interrogation :).

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bought them from Black Circles at £122 each and only £11 delivery for 6 tyres to the Isle of Man :D

As for the grip, I find the Goodyear's a great all round tyre especially for the different road surfaces we have here in the Isle of Man. The (XL) extra load tyres have good strong sidewalls which gives great feedback through the car and I feel very confident in both wet and dry conditions. I have had them on all my Evo's two VIII's, my last X and now going on my new X.
I can not see me changing as I have had other tyres on other cars, some better than others, but once you have confidence in a specific tyre it stays in your head. Possibly just placebo, but hey it works for me.

I have Bridgestones on my family Lexus from the factory and I personally do not like them.

I went for 265 wide because I have 9.5 rims and with the 35 section profile it keeps the rolling radius close at about the 1.5% difference, meaning the speedo reads 60.98 mph at actual 60mph. So it both fits the rim and is close to original spec by not being far off. I can live with being 1mph under actual indicated speed :mhihi:

I guess tyre choice is down to each individual, and of course budget. I have tried more expensive brands and have been disappointed. Maybe expecting twice the grip or road holding due to twice the price, but it does not work that way :handsup::mhihi:

Goodyear write up: The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is a high performance car tyre developed to deliver shorter braking distances and reliable handling.

Goodyear have constructed the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyre with their unique New Grip Booster tread compound - this uses adhesive resins within the compound mix to deliver extra grip. Improving braking and handling capabilities.

The use of Goodyear's Active Braking Technology in the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 ensures that when braking the contact surface between the tyre and road increases - greatly enhancing the braking performance and delivery short braking distances on both wet and dry road surfaces.

Hope that helps
Kev:smthumbup

I'd be really interested how your X is handling on this rubber. Why did you go for 265s instead of 245s? How much did you buy it for and from where?

Sorry for the interrogation :).

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I have 255/40 previous owner installed Advans 08 or sth) and despite rolling radius being fine when on full lock they rub the liners as the tyre is too wide. I assume you don't have that problem?

Out of interest, what other tyres have you tried on your X so far?

Do you track our car?

You absolutely right, tyre choice is extremely subjective. I for example like tyres which lose grip progressively, not in a snap to full ice rink type sliding from full grip. This way gives me much better feel for the car:).

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have 255/40 previous owner installed Advans 08 or sth) and despite rolling radius being fine when on full lock they rub the liners as the tyre is too wide. I assume you don't have that problem?

Out of interest, what other tyres have you tried on your X so far?

Do you track our car?

You absolutely right, tyre choice is extremely subjective. I for example like tyres which lose grip progressively, not in a snap to full ice rink type sliding from full grip. This way gives me much better feel for the car:).
Currently on Uniroyal Rainsports that came with the rims I bought. They are coming off this week.
Had Avon ZZ3 on my old VIII but did not like them and replaced with Goodyear's
I have had Pirrelli's on my first VIII but found the wet grip a little unpredictable.

I do not track my car, but the tyres get some good use due to where I live.
:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I love Uniroyal Rainsport 3s. Unbeatable value for money and sensational in wet weather. It is not a performance tyre however :).

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
[email protected] told me a neat trick - use a long cable tie to pull/pin the front arch liner a little forward.

If you're pulling from the middle, that 10mm of extra gap is all you need for 255/265 or larger rims.

The awkward part is that you have to get to it from the bumper undertray.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts