Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
A pure IX FQ360 MR.
1,245 Posts
Utter disgrace. Never heard so much contradictory s#1t in all my life. Yeah let's help the congestion and fumes by slowing everything down, muppets. No it's not about the money though is it :shake::thumbdown

·
Formerly known as DazK-IV
2,120 Posts
Interesting article but a little repetitive ;) A very lazy way to get the article's word count up. Doesn't The Mail practice proof reading any longer?

Anyway, to the point of the article ...

It really depends on what speed the cameras 'go off' at. Are they similar to now where the cameras are set quite a bit higher than the speed limit on the motorway to catch those seriously breaking the limit or are they looking to milk every possible penny from every criminal, I mean driver, on the road by making it virtually zero tolerance?

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,832 Posts
Interesting article but a little repetitive ;) A very lazy way to get the article's word count up. Doesn't The Mail practice proof reading any longer?

Anyway, to the point of the article ...

It really depends on what speed the cameras 'go off' at. Are they similar to now where the cameras are set quite a bit higher than the speed limit on the motorway to catch those seriously breaking the limit or are they looking to milk every possible penny from every criminal, I mean driver, on the road by making it virtually zero tolerance?
Hate it when they write like that! :handsup: :smthumbdo

·
Registered
201 Posts
I didn't think we had speed cameras in the uk, could have sworn they were meant to be 'safety' cameras.

I'm sure I read somewhere that motorways were the safest roads in the country !

They would be better off putting their efforts into catching the people speeding in 30 zones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it was truly about safety every car would be fitted with a GPS limiter that would restrict the cars speed based on its location (can't be that hard to invent)

With the restricter lifted when entering a race track

Simple but it's not about safety it's about cash and nothing more

·
Registered
719 Posts
They already have grey "stealth" cameras all down the M62 from J25 - J30

There on every other scaffold that spans the motorway with the directions signs - You can see on the opposite side of the road which have camera's and which dont But they do have signs on them to say there are speed cameras

And low and behold the traffic trying to get to Leeds is as bad as it always was, whats the point of limiting the speed limit when its bumper to bumper unless they set the limit at 5mph! - Even if they slow the traffic down at J25 to 50mph prior to where it get really busy further up it only buys them 5-10 minutes which is not going to clear the traffic and keep flowing in that time..

So its nothing to do with conjestion (surely if people are exceeding 70mph its not conjested), the number of accidents seems pretty much the same, if not worse (probably because everyone is watching thier speedo/scaffolds rather then the road) so all in all - Lot of money spent and no improvement.... probably would have been better putting a train line in the middle or extra lane or somthing else useful

Reactions: p23rab

·
Registered
247 Posts
They already have grey "stealth" cameras all down the M62 from J25 - J30

There on every other scaffold that spans the motorway with the directions signs - You can see on the opposite side of the road which have camera's and which dont But they do have signs on them to say there are speed cameras
The M62 (and M1) HADECS gantry cameras are exactly what I thought about when I read that piece. Like you say there are speed camera signs on most through them but no way to tell whether there's actually a camera on there or not. They're also active when no speed limit is imposed, from the flashes I've seen they look to trigger about 85MPH.

I've also gone down there several times at night, minimal traffic and clear weather conditions, and seen 60 then 50 limits for no apparent reason.

Coupled with the lane changing chaos that occurs when people can't figure out whether or not they should be using the hard-shoulder to exit, that stretch of the M62 is a (even more of a) pain in the backside at times :wallbang:

Deano

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
They are mounted on the reverse side of a gantry. At what point would making them yellow have any effect on them being visible or not?

I'm not sure if they are capable of having the limit raised and lowered with the variable speed, but given that the traffic density would dictate travelling at a lower speed when a sub national speed limit is set - I would hazard a guess they are set for somewhere just above ACPO guide. So 85 mentioned above sounds about right.

Of course disclaimer is this is not legal advice and you cannot sue me if you get a ticket for 72 in a 60 :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Seen these on the m25 they are not on the top anymore but on the sides of the boardings on the uprights very easy to miss. They are between jct 24 south mimms to jct 27 I think at mo.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If they wanted to address congestion, then using these cameras to target and fine all the middle and right lane cruisers would be a better use - not people doing 80.

It's pretty tiresome having to move around someone sat cruising at 60 on a 3 or 4 lane motorway.

They won't do that though as it's too subjective and requires a human to assess. I'm sure it's something that can be wangled out of in court. They just want an easy cash-generator were a computer can make a simple yes/no indisputable prosecution.

·
Premium Member
MLR Regional Organiser South London (ish)
3,540 Posts
Seen these on the m25 they are not on the top anymore but on the sides of the boardings on the uprights very easy to miss. They are between jct 24 south mimms to jct 27 I think at mo.
I also spotted yesterday in the 50mph roadworks bit between J6 and J5

It would seem where they are doing the new overhead gantery work these appear, as the J24 and J27 also has 50mph limit in that area ATM does it not Gaz,

Will try get a pic next time have passenger with me:smthumbup

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Aren't all the M25 ones off still, somebody challenged a ticket stating that the camera hadn't been calibrated within a 28 day timeframe and that as they couldn't shut the entire motorway every 4 weeks to calibrate every single camera they just switched them all off?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Surprised they aren't putting toll roads in,so they can fxxx every bodies day up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts