Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The forged 2.0 engine now has about 500 miles on it,(2 oil changes,1st oil mineral,second oil 10/40 semi)and i removed the sump today to reseal a oil weap,and had a look at things while i was there....and 0.38mm of end float on crank.:shake:
It did have a re-grind on the crank,and new ACL bearings.
The shop who did machining have said there work is warrentied so thats good to know,and ill give them a shout monday to see what they say.
They have also done the machining on KarlosG's car and Ashill old motor(anyone know if that had a new crank or what?)and are well reputable.

Im upset. Im seriously thinking to break/sell the car. Ive not even got to put a bigger tubby on it yet.:mad:
Even if it gets repaired in warrenty id want to put a new crank in,and i dont know if i can be arsed with that.:blah:

It may be a case of run it and see if it gets worse(it will)

The car has been soo reliable since 2003 and now its annoying me.
As far as im concerned if its not reliable no more,its more of a pain than a pleasure.

Ive just spent enough on this new engine,to have it wreck itself would make it not worth keeping.
Ive had a good run with the car so far with a lot of track time in it and cant think of another car id like to own as much,it does just what i want from a car,and id only replace it with another early evo.

Thoughts? In need of motivation here peeps.
Evos. love/hate.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I wouldnt have had the crank ground to begin with, if your spending all that money why not get a new crank while your at it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
never grind a early crank mate and dont fit bearings without measuring and having custom bearing made
sorry to hear of your bad news mate :cry:if you get it done get a new crank :smthumbup

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked them to check out the crank and let me know if it was ok to go again,was told it was good to go,then when i went to collect was told it was ground,but trusted them itd be ok.

They assembled the crank/block for me.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I asked them to check out the crank and let me know if it was ok to go again,was told it was good to go,then when i went to collect was told it was ground,but trusted them itd be ok.

They assembled the crank/block for me.
think karls was a brank new crank so hopefully will be ok
i have bearing custom made to suit the crank and block i supply the machine shop
mine only has 0.006 at most movement at over 10,000 miles no crank walk mod

·
Premium Member
16,918 Posts
Sorry to hear its walking, however it may stay at that point so i would do another 1000 or so miles and measure again, upto 0.4-0.5mm should be ok as long as it doesnt get anyworse. I will giving mine a good check when gearbox is off this week to see how its gone over last 30k+ miles.

As Mike says regrinding the early cranks is not good!

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thats my thoughts,see if it gets any worse.
I didnt want to have the crank ground, I did ask them to strip the motor and check out the crank,and when it was stripped i got told it was ok to go again and as id had no walk before thought things would be fine with new ACL's.
When i got the call to say the motor was ready thats whe i was told theyd ground the crank:rotz:
Still its warrantied so hopefully thingsll work out.

Yammy R1 motors have way more than .38 mm end play,more like .5 to .7mm on the ones ive seen

·
Registered
346 Posts
regrinding crank - why not?

Something thats bugging me a bit is the reluctance by those who have decent experience of the early Evos of running a reground crank in a rebuilt engine. (Allen, Mike, Ian to name a few)

Why is this so? I take it its the removal of the factory nitriding thats the issue? If the crank is treated again is it still so much of an issue?

I've had my crank ground 10 thou and retreated during the rebuild. The engine builder has been on the go for some years and builds many performance engines so i listened to them when they advised it would be perfectly ok to do it this way.

Is it purely an issue with journals wearing out quickly or has anyone actually seen a failure? I can't remember reading about any evo with a broken crank.

We'll see how "ok" it is soon i guess when i get mine mapped on these 280 cams and GT3240 turbo.

Aran

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
think karls was a brank new crank so hopefully will be ok
i have bearing custom made to suit the crank and block i supply the machine shop
mine only has 0.006 at most movement at over 10,000 miles no crank walk mod
is that 6 thou or 0.006 MM please mike?

Be nice with that turbo hoolio

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Something thats bugging me a bit is the reluctance by those who have decent experience of the early Evos of running a reground crank in a rebuilt engine. (Allen, Mike, Ian to name a few)

Why is this so? I take it its the removal of the factory nitriding thats the issue? If the crank is treated again is it still so much of an issue?

I've had my crank ground 10 thou and retreated during the rebuild. The engine builder has been on the go for some years and builds many performance engines so i listened to them when they advised it would be perfectly ok to do it this way.

Is it purely an issue with journals wearing out quickly or has anyone actually seen a failure? I can't remember reading about any evo with a broken crank.

We'll see how "ok" it is soon i guess when i get mine mapped on these 280 cams and GT3240 turbo.

Aran
it when its not re nitrided mate
also has the builder had experience of walking engines ???

·
Registered
346 Posts
walking

Mike, I guess they've seen excessive endfloat on engines before and i ran through the concerns i had, ie crankwalk, before they started the work. We agreed that the crank would have what they called QPQ treatment which as far as i'm aware is heat treating much like nitriding but i'm no expert.

I stressed from the outset this was an engine built to take some punishment and i'm happy with what they've done so far. I guess i'll just have to keep an eye on it until i'm 100% happy its ok. time to get a dial vernier i suppose.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maybee on track this sat (all day open pit:mhihi:) so if its gonna get any worse ill soon find out.:lol:
no answer from engine shop today?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
took a engine in to my machine shop guy and spoke to him and he said he would never build a engine with off the shelf bearings ,he polishes the crank and then measure and get custome shell made :smthumbup
all for a price i can refuse ;)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Did you not put Karlos motor together? If so were talking about the same machine shop as karlos told me they did the machining on his and alans motor.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yes they assemblied karls fitted rods and pistons and crank i did the rest
but karl had a new crank fitted to his dont know about his bearings though

my guy is going to look at the crank walk problem and see what he think :smthumbup

1 - 20 of 30 Posts