Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were buying a new laptop but you find the stores dont really offer good deals (well i think that anyway) and you had a budget for around the £350.00 mark. Would you think this is a good buy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-DEL...14&_trkparms=72:1699|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

It would just be a home laptop for internet usage and some work stuff etc..

Any advice would be great really as av now been looking over a few weeks now and still getting no where...:blah:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice would be great please....need to make a decision soon. :smthumbup

·
Registered
824 Posts
depends but u do want a 3 year warranty with any laptop mate. I work for dell so try and get the tag and pm me details and ill check it over to see when the warranty started and if there was any issues

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi boom boom...What do you mean a tag and why are you doubting it mate, i like this sort of feedback as am not sure really what to do.. Any more advice??
It states that it is brand new and not a refurb, but would that not mean it comes with a 3yr warranty?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so why is windows vista home premium not very good then??
If its just for a home laptop would this not be suitable...not for gaming etc..
If you had a budget of £350ish what would you look at then?? thanks Daz :smthumbup

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
you can get a brand new Dell for nearly that money. Look at the dell website and check it daily as they do offers for 1 day only etc etc . The inspiron 1525 is a great laptop for what you want. Had mine since Jan and its great. I do same as you ... e mail and tinternet

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you would advise to go for the inspiron over the one above i have linked....Thats cool as i have already looked at the inspiron but was led to believe that this dell model was better, spec etc

So where would be the better place to purchase one as apart from dell site..Just looking for a good deal now as the stores offer low spec laptops for stupid money really.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok so why is windows vista home premium not very good then??
If its just for a home laptop would this not be suitable...not for gaming etc..
If you had a budget of £350ish what would you look at then?? thanks Daz :smthumbup
It`s not bad if you don`t challenge it, but I got a laptop with vista a few months ago. I used to run a whole load of programmes on my desktop for 6-8 weeks at a time before it would slow down or pack up.

On my vista laptop, running more than a few programmes drains it. I think it`s partly/ mostly because my laptop only has 2gb of ram and vista needs 1 to run. If you run only two or three programmes at a time it should be fine. I`ve also found that it crashes a lot more than XP...but after a while, I think I`ve just gotten use to it`s capabilities and don`t push it so much.

Vista business is supposed to be pretty good I`ve heard.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i should be lookind at a business package as supposed to a vista home package...God this is doing my head in now...:crackup:

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
We use vista business on our computers but ours are 3GB we have a 1GB laptop on XP and it runs fine on the net but i wouldnt want to run it on vista.
We get good deals from Dell direct by phone especially on a friday;)

The support from them has always been good and never had a faulty machine yet. If you were looking at a laptop which you want to run on vista with a budget in mind, i suggest you give them a call:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wright thats it am going to dell direct then...Just one more question, have you heard of europc?? they are a dealer who do alot of business with dell uk.... they all come with 3 yr warranty and offer quite considerable disscounts. Would any of you consider them??

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Dell only sell through limited resellers and have literally only within the last year gone outside retail. I very very much doubt he is one of the resellers as its only the likes of Tesco's that can snapup Dells.

At which point there are implications on the servicetag warranty - it needs to be change with authorisation to the new user through Dell. Depending on how it was "obtained" may cause issues.

Good laptop for £350.
If i had to buy one i would choose, Dell / Acer. I'd avoid the Fujitsus, Asus and Samsungs however saying that the Samsung NC10 is under 300, ultra portable and a good machine with XP

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Wright thats it am going to dell direct then...Just one more question, have you heard of europc?? they are a dealer who do alot of business with dell uk.... they all come with 3 yr warranty and offer quite considerable disscounts. Would any of you consider them??
Never heard of them:confused: we've only dealt with Dell but thats business dont know if they are different for personal

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi ian, well could you maybe point me in the wright direction as to which dell/acer you are thinking of...just been checking the dell website and they only come with a 1 yr warranty??

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi albuse...Can i ask what made you go for this one as apposed to others in this price range..eg dell :smthumbup

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hi Daz,

I wanted something compact, 2GB, Vista + this one has bluetooth and built in web cam. All the others within this price band were either 15" or 1GB.

Ruhul

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ahhh Jesus.....Cant decide what to do or even consider now.....:blah:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts