Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, so hopefully you'll be able to help me out here. I'm looking to buy an EVO for the first time and I've found what looks to be a very nice EVO IV for sale on Gumtree. I've linked the page below but please delete if this is not allowed due to forum rules or whatever.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mitsubish...-iv-1996-not-subaru-wrx-sti-bmw-m3/1230546030

Before I get to my questions I thought I'd put down a few reason's as to why I'm interested in this specific car.
So first off it looks stunning and with the exception of the Engine bay (quite a big thing I know), it looks pretty well looked after. It also mentions that the EVO IV Engine has been replaced by the V Engine (Could also be a red flag, more on this later).
96,300 miles seems like a reasonable amount for a 21 year old car.
Did I mention it looks incredible? Yea anyway...

So I have a few questions about this car that I was hoping someone could help me out with.
Firstly, Considering that the majority of EVO's for sale seem to be around the 6-8k mark, is the fact that this is for sale for 4k a bit of a red flag?
Is it possible to know how many miles the new engine has done prior to being installed into this car?
What areas should I be looking into when going to view it? I've already been told about the obvious things (engine, gearbox, turbo etc...) but what else should I be looking into? I did read on another forum something about checking the AYC light when starting the engine and I'm also taking a mechanic with me to look at the car so he can look and listen out for any potential problems.

Finally I did a MOT history check on the car and noticed one thing about 10 years ago that concerned me. The check revealed that there was some damage to the rear of the car that was badly repaired. Now, that doesn't appear on any of the subsequent MOT's so one of two things happened, either the owner repaired the damage properly, or he's been taking it to a dodgy MOT guy who's been ignoring it. Personally I hope it's the former of the two options.

So any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RSX
1,789 Posts
Check for rot underneath, on rear door extensions fuel filler neck. New engine mileage check would only be possible if you know where it came from. Even well documented paperwork could be misleading. It looks better because of the vi parts. £4K is cheap but not ludicrously so when it's not original.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check for rot underneath, on rear door extensions fuel filler neck. New engine mileage check would only be possible if you know where it came from. Even well documented paperwork could be misleading. It looks better because of the vi parts. £4K is cheap but not ludicrously so when it's not original.
Ahh OK so the EVO VI parts actually make the car less valuable then?

Definitely gonna check the underneath for any holes though cause I know it's a horrible job to repair.

Should the damage to the rear of the car be a concern, or would that only be a problem if I see anything wrong underneath?

Also, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. One final question though. On a scale of 1-10, how often do they break assuming you don't thrash the **** out of it? I've just read the MLR guide and it sounds like there are a lot of things that can go wrong with them and some things that sound pretty expensive to repair.

Apologies for the crap questions but I just don't want to end up wasting a load of money for nothing.

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RSX
1,789 Posts
If you don't thrash it they don't break really especially at stock power. You never know what the previous owners did/how they drove it.

Go and look at it for sure but with what you already know about the previous damage I'd personally keep looking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't thrash it they don't break really especially at stock power. You never know what the previous owners did/how they drove it.

Go and look at it for sure but with what you already know about the previous damage I'd personally keep looking.
Yea I took a look at the car, when you get close the paintwork looks like a 5 year old painted it with a 5 inch brush, there's corrosion underneath that would need welding, the owner bought the car a year ago and has only serviced it once (although the oil did look good) and he had no idea when the cam belt was last changed. So not worth 3 grand let alone 4.

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RSX
1,789 Posts
I feared as much, maybe need to up your budget and go for a newer car. I just posted a cheap V1 in the used car info section. :smthumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts