Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few pics of the new clutch we fitted to my IX GT yesterday :)
Cost a bit but should be up to the job :D
I must thank Paul (Neverneverman) and Toby for coming down to me to help, Paul has the same clutch ready to fit toi his VI so he wanted to see how it all went together but ended up helping me due to my very busy day :rolleyes: :) Big thanks to Paul and Toby :beerchug:

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Fantastic work :D always wanted to see how the hydraulic push thrust bearing went in an evo gearbox casing :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Very nice!! :coolsm: Just wondering if coverting to push type will have any affect on crank thrust bearings as their designed to take load from the opposite direction :confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
mad sorry to go off topic but have you got anymore recent pics of your motor cus its flippin awesome, if you have can you post em up please

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry to be a little negative about this, but why do you think fitting a push type clutch is a good idea ?

Pull types are around 30% more efficient for both release loads and defections making them a far better option for the performance clutch and the pedal feel. I understand the concentric slave cylinder is more efficient than the standard lever arm arrangement but I am surprised anyone would consider this a better overall package.

I realise lots of money has been spent on this and don’t want to take anything away from what looks like a nice installation, but I do spend most of my working day designing clutches and most people try to go the other way because of the reasons above.

Jez

·
Life after Evo= Elise
15,492 Posts
123456 said:
Sorry to be a little negative about this, but why do you think fitting a push type clutch is a good idea ?

Pull types are around 30% more efficient for both release loads and defections making them a far better option for the performance clutch and the pedal feel. I understand the concentric slave cylinder is more efficient than the standard lever arm arrangement but I am surprised anyone would consider this a better overall package.

I realise lots of money has been spent on this and don't want to take anything away from what looks like a nice installation, but I do spend most of my working day designing clutches and most people try to go the other way because of the reasons above.

Jez
I wonder if Simon norris and ECC know this as they run the same clutch :confused:
So do AP do a good clutch that will take 700 bhp ? and at what price ?

Paul...

·
Vendor
4,430 Posts
Madmat - Be careful with the position of the clutch bleed line as this can catch the clutch retaining bolts and wear a hole in the tube.

Make sure it is pulled to the far right of the hole you have it fed through to stop this happening.

123456 - We have run a many push type Superclutch units for a couple of years odd now and they perform better than any other products used previously. This included the AP 184mm units which were poor in comparison.

The key is to select the correct spring weight for the customers vehicle to ensure minimum pedal effort but enough clamping force to hold the required output.

Cheers

Simon :)

p.s. Forgot to say DO NOT USE RACE FLUID! Use dot 4 otherwise you will damage the seals in the hydraulic cylinder.

·
Vendor
4,430 Posts
Quad plate anyone!!?? Heheh! :D

Si

Attachments

7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make sure it is pulled to the far right of the hole you have it fed through to stop this happening.
Thanks for the tip Si, i will pull her in later ;)
Ive been searching for a long time to find a good solution to my clutch problem, this seems to be it, the peddle is awesome, very drivable :coolsm:
Si, how does your peddle sit when you've adjusted your free play? Mines a little low.
Or are you running a different peddle box?

·
Vendor
4,430 Posts
Blair260 - Hopefully a full season, like the old triple plate before the power hike! :)

MadMat - The clutch pedal will sit low as it requires very little travel, the most important thing is that you do not overpress the clutch or it WILL wear out quickly.

The pedal should hit the floor before the bearing starts to overpress the cover, if you don't get this right it mechanically softens the spring and will have slipping issues quickly.

To have the right travel and setup throw I always have an inch or so free play at the top of the pedal when we install them.

Cheers & goodluck!

Si :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts