Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice please on what to use for my new 7 - just coming up to 1000 miles (had it almost a fortnight now :D) and thought it would be a good idea to change the oil and filter. What should I use for the 1000 mile change? I had heard to use a semi-synthetic rather than full synthetic - is this true and if so what's the reasoning?

Am I likely to be able to get the filter from the local Mitsubishi Centre or will I need to try Coord Sport?

Ta,

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome to evo ownership,

You need Oil Filter MD356000 Should be available from local mitsi Dealer, If they don't have it on the shelf they are on a 2 day delivery from Mitsubishi so should get it quickly.

Cost £13.40 |PLS| Vat.
Should also change to semi synthetic oil to help remove contaminents from when the engine is built,change to fully synthetic at 4,500 miles.

Hope this helps

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I concur ;)
During the first several thousand miles you actually want the components in the engine to wear in for good seals (it's called 'bedding in' or 'running in'). If you use a fully synthetic oil during this time then it doesn't happen as quickly as fully synthetic is too protective of the components.
In short use Semi-Synthetic to bed in and then Fully Synthetic thereafter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I'll check out the dealer this morning.

I suppose it's time to start thinking about going over 4,500 rpm ...

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Original Post:
Welcome to evo ownership,

You need Oil Filter MD356000 Should be available from local mitsi Dealer, If they don't have it on the shelf they are on a 2 day delivery from Mitsubishi so should get it quickly.
Yep, they had it in stock.

Cost £13.40 |PLS| Vat.
Ah, now you had this bit wrong ... I paid £9.67 plus vat - £11.86 incl vat with drain plug gasket :)

Job done - took me a while to find the oil filter though!

Cheers,

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure the oil filter was MD356000? It's just there are several Mitsubishi oil filters quoted for the Evo's but MD356000 is THE only correct filter for the E7. I got the MD356000 the other day and it was £13.40|PLS|VAT as Tony said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Original Post:
Are you sure the oil filter was MD356000? It's just there are several Mitsubishi oil filters quoted for the Evo's but MD356000 is THE only correct filter for the E7. I got the MD356000 the other day and it was £13.40|PLS|VAT as Tony said.
Yep, absolutely certain. Perhaps Mitsubishi's pricing is different in Wales :D

Had more trouble getting the oil - no decent car bits places round here. Noy many options for semi synthetic - Halfords had their own brand but I didn't fancy that, another place had some by Comma. Ended up using Castrol Magnatec.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fancy setting up a business selling them filters on then? :D
I must admit that is one of the main things that ####es me off with Mitsubishi, different pricing across the country. Fair enough that labour will be different across the country but parts prices? Good on your garage if they have dropped the price it's a pity more don't do it. Out of interest what is the labour rate at your local Mitsubishi garage, I guess about £30-£40/hour? And if you don't mind finding out what do they charge for a 4500, 9000, 18000 and 45000 mile service on an E6/7?
Just asking because it may be cheaper for me to drive 300 miles to get a major service!

By the way how the hell any garage can quote over £350 for the Brembo front pads is STILL beyond me (I heard a Mitsubishi garage did the other day). Christ even Brembo themselves only charge about £180.

The more Mitsubishi try and rip us off the more people will go to independants, wake up Mitsubishi!

Sorry for the rant but some things do get my goat :(

DrBob,
Finding decent oil is difficult, try getting it bulk by mail order so you don't get stuck in future. Demon Tweaks do quite a good range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Original Post:
Fancy setting up a business selling them filters on then? :D
Hmm, a whacking £4.39 profit per filter! Although I suppose I could make a few pence on the sump seal as well ;)
I must admit that is one of the main things that ####es me off with Mitsubishi, different pricing across the country. Fair enough that labour will be different across the country but parts prices? Good on your garage if they have dropped the price it's a pity more don't do it.
It does seem strange - I suspect a mistake has been made, although it was invoiced via their computer.
Out of interest what is the labour rate at your local Mitsubishi garage, I guess about £30-£40/hour? And if you don't mind finding out what do they charge for a 4500, 9000, 18000 and 45000 mile service on an E6/7?
Just asking because it may be cheaper for me to drive 300 miles to get a major service!
Don't know yet, I obviously haven't needed one yet. I'll check out their rates and get back.

Still not sure where to take mine, although it's probably worth retaining a Mitsubishi stamp in the service record. There's a place near to me that apparently does a lot of work on rally Evos, who I suspect I might trust more with the car.

Trouble with taking it a long way for servicing is the extra miles on the car as an additional expense on top of petrol etc.

Finding decent oil is difficult, try getting it bulk by mail order so you don't get stuck in future. Demon Tweaks do quite a good range.
It was only a problem for this change really (semi synth), getting fully synth is going to be easy enough, even Halfords had a selection.

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here in Switzerland I only pay 5quidd for the oilfilter. Maybe I should buy some in try to sell them at 10quidd in the UK:D

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ref price of filters:-

There was aprice increase from Mitsubishi about 2 weeks ago so you probably got an old stock price one, I checked the old prices and it was £9.67 |PLS| Vat.

Parts prices are all on menu pricing across the country so they should be the same everywhere,
It all depends how good you are at beating up the dealer for a discount, ( I dont think anyone on here is shy ).

On labour prices they range from 40 to 80 around the country, if you ring Ford or Vauxhall dealers you will
find almost the same figures in the same areas.
I do know that Brighton Mitsubishi give a 10% discount to MLR Members (parts and amp; Labour)

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Original Post:
There was aprice increase from Mitsubishi about 2 weeks ago so you probably got an old stock price one, I checked the old prices and it was £9.67 |PLS| Vat.
9.67 -- and amp;gt; 13.40 equals a 39% price increase!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts