Lancer Register Forum banner

Need uprated gearbox

2K views 33 replies 0 participants last post by  blade 
G
#1 ·
My gearbox has had it, the power and torque and track days are just too much. Apart from the (v. expensive) Ralliart Dog Box, does anyone know of an alternative for the EVO 6??

G
#2 ·
Steve HIll motorsport will sell you the ultimate Evo6 gearbox,
a 6 speed sequential, should be worth a couple of seconds a lap
to you Blade.....ROFL....a snip at just £45,000......plus fitting of course !!!!!

G
#3 ·
Blade,
Quaife do a heavy duty 5 speed cluster , can't recall if dog and synchro versions r available , check out their website.

BTW , your groaning about the price of the R/Art dog box , u wait until u c the price of the uprights and drive shafts , just give yr bonus directly 2 me M8 :)

G
#5 ·
That wud b me then , won't b happening unless I get 30 serious obsessives prepared 2 throw £12k a pop in my direction . A new gearbox case is required 2 accomodate the 6 ration cluster

Oh I'm so pleased 2 c u back.

G
#7 ·
Evoboy - are u sure about the Quaife stuff? There is nuffink that I can see on their web site m8?

What do u fink of the ralliart box? As it is Hewland - shud be good, no?

Heard the uprights are 'kin expensive - titanium aren't they??

G
#8 ·
Spoke to Ralliart this morning -they reckon the box is good for the power levels I am doing, and it may be this common pre-load problem with mine. It was iffy from the off, before the power mods.

Their dog box is £7,500 (!!!!!) and needs a full strip/rebuild every 1000 miles (!!!!!!!!!!!!) - not very cost effective. So, bought an RS2 box (shorter gearing, long final) and will get my existing box rebuilt as an RS2, and just accept annual rebuilds. Much cheaper than a dog box, even over 7 years!!!

Will probably just upgrade to about 450bhp now to ensure reasonable gearbox life :(

G
#10 ·
The RSX has the GSR gearing. The RS2 box was used in the E6 extreme. The E5 RS and the first E6 RS had the short/short gearing. The GSR has long/long and the RS2/Extreme have short/long. There are 3 standard gearboxes: RS (short/short), RS2 (short/long) and GSR (long/long).

The RS2 box reduces your top speed a fair amount, and doesn't change your 0-60 time at all, though improves 0-100 quite a bit.

On a track, you spend all your time usually in 3rd and 4th - I get fed up touching 5th just in time to change down, or being flat out in 3rd on a long sweeper, when I could be in fourth, or being off boost, but in the right gear for the circuit. This should sort that :D

The short/short is a bit too short. Good for rally, not for race.

Cheers

G
#11 ·
Blade,

Did you get a spare transfer box with the gearbox you purchased and if so does it have an LSD in it?
The reason I'm asking is I have the heavy slow understeering GSR which has no front LSD and I'm on the look out for one!

Clive

G
#12 ·
I too have no LSD in my transfer box, which is why - I just ordered one! This is the S2 kit (better than the S1 kit that Claudius got) which is a full plated diff with uprated shafts. £1600 |PLS| VAT. Won't be off the boat from Japan till January.

Did think about the Group A KAAZ diffs, but that mean rebuilding the new gearbox :(

Apparently Quaife do have a dog gear kit just announced. Might try that in my spare box if the servicing isn't horrendous like the Hewland stuff in the Ralliart box.

Bye bye understeer!!

G
#13 ·
Blade,
Quaife will have a 5 speed dog box as u say , also they WILL b doing a 6 speed...........no price announced yet..............but expect 2 b v.expensive.

Also they will b doing LSD's , based on the Torsen type , already available 4 the Eclipse which is £550'ish.

All this will b available thru a particular agent.

Don't know who rattled their cage , I tried 2 talk 2 them about all the above x the dog 5 speed , but they were less than bothered at the time.

G
#14 ·
I have just fitted one of Quaifes ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) mechanical diffs in my 309 MI16 track car and it's superb, I asked them about one for the EVO and they said there were no plans to make one at the moment. If they did I would buy one tomorrow!
When E-mailing them I have always got a quick and informative response.

G
#15 ·
Blade,
Now I am confused (not too difficult on a Friday morning though :D)
I know about the 3 types of gearbox but I thought that the RSX was based upon the RS2. Therefore do Ralliart actually swop the RS2 box for a GSR box when they 'make' an RSX?

Andy

G
#17 ·
Here's a few more companies that, I believe, do dog kits for Evo 6:

Albins
Hollinger
Gemini
Hewland
Precision Performance
Toda Racing

Anyone got any further suggestions and has annyone followed up any of these companies?

G
#18 ·
Andy,

Dunno mate - it could be that they just label the gearboxes this way! I don't think the RS2's had different gearing to the GSR either (Scoobymike, can you confirm this??)

It could also be that the guy who took the order got it wrong, but we shall see :D

It could be they swapped the boxes out, because they could easily sell them to tarmac rally teams.

G
#19 ·
Thanks for the info - not going the dog box route, just too damn expensive. Cheaper to keep two boxes and service one each year. The change is really good anyway, and the whining dogs would be hard to live with.

Some more info:

Gemini do a gear kit, not a box - you need to rebuild the box (expensive, may as well buy a new standard box)
The Hewland stuff is a gear kit, and is the innards of the Ralliart Dog Box.

Quaife DO have a gear kit too, and so do Monster as well, but both are too short on the gearing (as is the Hewland and Gemini stuff, dunno about Quaife) - well it is too short for European circuits anyway.

The RS2 box sounds ideal - just have to accept annual rebuilds :(
Although both Ralliart and PE think that I may have had one of the bad batch of boxes with the pre-load issue, as it has been gathering swarf from day one on the mag plug.

Ralliart also told me that the reason these boxes fail is temperature, so we will be fitting an oil cooler and electric oil pump for the gearbox too.

G
#21 ·
Tony

as far as I'm concerned the RSII has the same gearing as the GSR. When comparing acceleration test it also looks very likely (0-100 and top speed).
If you're interested I've got the Co-Ordsport gearbox/diff overview (all the possible combinations, part. no. etc). I've just sent it to you.

Cheers

Mike

G
#24 ·
Scoobymike, what Co-ordsport call the RS2 box is part no. W5M51-2-X6A3 (X6A7) which features a standard 4.529 final drive, but has shorter 3rd/4th/5th gears (1.444/1.096/0.825 instead of 1.407/1.031/0.761) which gives me the slightly closer spacer I need on the track. Overall top speed won't change much as my rev limit is 8100rpm and will be 9000rpm.

G
#25 ·
Doof, a dog box has straight cut gears, instead of helical cut gears and does not use a syncromesh for engagement, instead using a dog for engagement. This means faster shifting, but more noise and jerky changes - more wear and tear also. A synchromesh ensures a smooth, but slow gear change.

G
#26 ·
ahhh and this is what rally cars have right?, so its the dog box that makes the funky whirring noise. sorry to be completely clueless but you gotta start somewhere eh?
cheers blade,

lewis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.