Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I right in saying the 4 has different pistons, rods and shells than the 5 and 6? (IIRC the gudgeon pin on the 4 is smaller than the 5/6?)

Are there any differences in the 5 & 6 pistons and rods?

Is the 4/5/6 block and crank exactly the same?

Am I right again in saying that if I used 5/6 rods and pistons it would illiminate chances of crankwalk as you will obviously be using different rods and shells?

Sooooooooooo technically if I bought 5/6 or forged rods and pistons but kept my 4 block, crank etc I would have a 400+ bhp bottom end?

Whats your thoughts
:cool:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no you need a 5 onwards block im afraid.
Oh is it, for definate? I was told the blocks and cranks were the same by a trusted engineer who I know is good so I dunno lol

Can you tell me exactly what the differences are between the 4/5 block then so I can get it clear in my head! :cry:

Cheers :D

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
coolamasta said:
Oh is it, for definate? I was told the blocks and cranks were the same by a trusted engineer who I know is good so I dunno lol

Can you tell me exactly what the differences are between the 4/5 block then so I can get it clear in my head! :cry:

Cheers :D
trust me, i have stripped a few engine's :D

that is definate. i believe the block can be modified in some way to accept a 5 onwards thrust design but i know nothing about that. other than the thrust design the block is the same in that all main bearings are the same from 4 on.

the cranks are the same though.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trust me, i have stripped a few engine's :D

that is definate. i believe the block can be modified in some way to accept a 5 onwards thrust design but i know nothing about that. other than the thrust design the block is the same in that all main bearings are the same from 4 on.

the cranks are the same though.
Ah right, can you tell me what "thrust design" is as I don't know lol, what is the problem with the thrust design on the 4 block? has this got anything to do with crankwalk?!

Cheers for your help Rich, just trying to fully understand the differences and options I have before I go off and start throwing money at it lol

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I think the point is that no one really knows for certain what causes crankwalk but there has been mention of thrust design, oil squirter design etc... Im of the opinion that the quick and easy fix is to get a newer model engine transplant.

Although the E5 and onward blocks look the same I believe the new ones are stronger purely due to newer techniques and processes used to produce them.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
the 4 block uses a center main bearing with an integral thrust bearing, the 5 onwards is seperate. i don't know why, but the 4 thrust bearing wears causing crankwalk.

as nian said, best off getting a 5 on block if you want to do any sort of decent rebuild.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Nian/Rich :D

Ah I see, thats makes a lot more sense now why you would use a later block for big power :)

So basically then the 4 block has a centre main bearing with integrated thrust bearing where as the 5 onwards blocks have separate thrust bearings?

Don't suppose anyone has any pics of a 4 and a 5/6 block showing the crank do they just for future reference? :D
Would be nice to actually see the differences between them as pics tend to say 1000 words and all that lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts