Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
29,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably going to get called all sorts now – but would like some advice on Satnav – especially in the ‘Bluetooth’ functionality of them…. :confused:

Already have Route66 on my mobile (and I like the way it works) but phone is in need of changing soon so am looking for a new set up. Have also owned a TomTom (version 2 so a long time ago). ;)

Not sure which one to go for – TomTom, Road Angel or ‘a another’??? (Don’t want to pay a fortune though – not with so many cheaper versions out there) Would like to have the speed camera warning, and obviously (as a female) NEED the navigation side of things… :D

When the units state ‘Bluetooth’ does this mean that you can answer/make calls from the unit?? The info I have read so far only mentions that it has it but not what it lets you do???? I don’t want the traffic alert info (mainly because it’s chargeable) and am not sure if this is all that the Bluetooth connection is for???

Any help appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
tom tom all the way, mostly for functionality.

The bluetooth lets you dial and receive phone calls. Depending on phone you can also access the numbers in the memorya nd send and receive texts.

It isn't great in terms of sound quality, you are far better off with a dedicated headset or the like.

the cheaper Tom Toms will do the trick, the only difference is usually screen size and memory capacity for maps that come as standard.

·
Administrator
29,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that – but does the ‘safety camera’ info come as standard on the cheaper TomTom or is it all a subscription thing???

Sounds dumb, but have tried to over-lay info (of sorts) on PDA’s etc, and usually manage to mess something up and have to get mates to sort it out for me!!!! Really looking for a ‘plug n play’ type of thing. Basically just looking to get for ‘A to B’ with the least amount of time spent pushing buttons and setting up for every journey!! (and getting a few warnings for when the foot slips of the accelerator! Not that I speed of course! :eek: )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try looking at some of the garmin units @ http://www.garmin.com/automotive/products.html#automotive
the nuvi range are v good and compact. the 310 has bluetooth too. for most of the units to get the speed camera info involves subscription. ie paying for the info and getting updates downloaded from the pc. the mapping on the garmin kit is very easy to use, full post code, poi, and good street mapping. their website gives loads of info.
hope this helps.
matt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts