Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
black box will be next, all cars will have one, police will plug into it and see if you have gone over the SL, simple datalogger wont be difficult at all, or even the data will be transferred directly to a db via wireless or something so soon as you speed letter will come through the door, whatever next...I think we will live in a permanent jail and be temporarily let out depending on our status, its kinda like that anyway if you live within the means and society your supposed to.

·
Registered
177 Posts
cars are geting safer, better handleing, better brakes etc. but road deaths go up.... so driver quality has went down. therefore the driving testing system is to blame, not the national speed limit

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,881 Posts
Everyone drives at 40 on NSL roads anyway, and everyone bunches up so you can't overtake. It's rare you even get to go at 60.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone drives at 40 on NSL roads anyway, and everyone bunches up so you can't overtake. It's rare you even get to go at 60.
lol thats true a lot of the time... i think a lot of people don't know what the national speed limit sign means... the number of times i drive through a town/village and then get to a national speed limit sign and the person in front still does 30mph... :wallbang:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Most roads have the average speed cammeras on them now anway, most A roas around the South of London or South East have alot of them or have had for a while.

Its not quite accurate that the speed limit will be changed, as on the safer A roads the speed limit will be the same, its on the more dangerous roads that the speed will be limited by the use of average speed cammera's.

None of us are perfect and all of us are guilty at some time or another for speeding when we shoudlnt be (I for one have the points to show this) but think this is a good idea!

I agree with comments above, the quility of driving has gone down and I think most drivers do not understand the concept of travelling at a safe speed which will not only indanger them but over road users.

Times I have sat on an A road or M road at 60-70mph seing cars easily speed pass at 100+ when there us no real need for it other than to cause an accident of death.

Most road users have not had an accident or seen an accident and do not realise the carnage that can be caused at speeds in excess of 60mph

Brinsley

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,881 Posts
The "more dangerous" roads already have lower limits of 50 or 40. That's just a ploy to pacify protesters who will say that all roads will drop to 50.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They can't afford to put specs up all over the place on every dangerous road. There's loads of roads round where I live that are quiet and safe to exceed the NSL.

Not too worried about this happening but don't agree with it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I've been thinking for a while now that UK roads aren't the place to drive a nice performance car.

You can't enjoy your car because the roads are so congested and too many fun roads are jumped upon by the nanny state plus it's so bloody expensive!

I made my mind up a few weeks ago. Evo will go up for sale soon to be replaced by a Caterham for track work.

Sod it. :mad:

·
Registered
622 Posts
We have recently had a stretch of the A127 littered with average speed cameras for 7.2 miles at a cost of £1.2million
The speed limit there was 70 mph, now its 50 mph and as far as I am concerned the road has now become more dangerous.
Why?
Because everyone is constantly looking at thier speedo to make sure they are bang on 50 mph and not looking at the road in front.
I have seen several close calls where joining traffic has had to slam on brakes because the inside lane is chock a block with cars doing 50 mph, no one willing to speed up to make room or slow down because the car behind them is up its arse attempting to keep at exactly 50 mph.
This system became live in January 2009 and recently the council had to admit that since it went live, they had not prosecuted one single speeder, 50 cars that they detected over the speed limit could not be prosecuted because of insufficent evidence!

Link to local newspaper article about the non effective cameras

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
will be interesting to see if they really care about revenue or deaths.
1.2m for 7miles of road and zero prosecutions - how many politicians will care that x lives have been saved over x years if they are 1.2M out of pocket.

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,840 Posts
Quote from the Times article:

"Britain's roads were the safest in the world until 2001, relative to its population, but have since fallen into sixth place behind countries such as the Netherlands, Sweden and Norway. Some challenge that statistic because of the disparity of the countries' sizes."

That's when the TME edition came out :lol: ;)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
PS: there's a stretch of road near me that has a big yellow road sign as you enter it saying that 8 injuries have been reported in 3 years......is that a reinforcement to drive faster because its a low risk road!? Do they want a higher score!?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

"Britain's roads were the safest in the world until 2001, relative to its population, but have since fallen into sixth place behind countries such as the Netherlands, Sweden and Norway. Some challenge that statistic because of the disparity of the countries' sizes."

I imagine its also when they started taking cop cars of the road and replacing them with (mostly non working) cameras.

Im shocked at the quality of driving these days. I dont think people would attempt half of these dodgy manoeuvres if there was a chance of copper seeing them but the fact that the nearest camera is miles away means go ahead anyway.

·
Registered
622 Posts
black box will be next, all cars will have one, police will plug into it and see if you have gone over the SL, simple datalogger wont be difficult at all, or even the data will be transferred directly to a db via wireless or something so soon as you speed letter will come through the door, whatever next...I think we will live in a permanent jail and be temporarily let out depending on our status, its kinda like that anyway if you live within the means and society your supposed to.
They wont need black boxes unless they bring in road pricing, the new set of ANPR cameras on the A127 in Essex have journey time measuring capabilities and as they are linked nationwide, they can already work out how long its taken you to go from point A to point B.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
5,371 Posts
Do you not think the number of deaths on the roads may be partly down to the state of our roads & constantly having to dodge the b....y great big Pot holes !:goingmad:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts

Anyone thought that the reason for the decline in road safety is due to all the immigrants on todays roads, without insurance and causing congestion!!!!:wallbang: The number of immigrants on our roads without insurance or the knowledge of how to drive in a safe manner is rediculous.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts