Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the passed few days ive been getting a nasty burning oil smell

its like gear box - power steering

i have no dripps or oil on the floor after being parked up and the ayc bottle is still full

i did change the fuel pump and never fully tightened up the carrier (dick) and when i filled it up with petrol it ****ed a load out

now could the smell just be **** washed off the tank by the fuel
i have driven about 50 miles with the smell and it goes and comes back

im off to steve hills for a service wednesday so im just hoping i dont get any bad news like the rear diff is ****ed or something:mad:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
if the rear diff has a crack it will leak oil onto the exhaust and burn. when your driving and can smell the oil. Stop the car and use a torch to see if you can see a leak while the car is running.

hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a couple of dripps on the exhaust but only a tiny amount

i wouldnt mind if it was running any power but its near standard
and i dont drive it hard

only time i have was on a track day but that was 2 - 3 weks ago

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
If it is dripping from the diff I would get it checked asap

My IV smelt on the way to work (manchester to Blackpool) one morning. When i pulled up in works car park. There was a small drop of oil coming off the diff and onto the exhaust. On the way home the whole diff opened up on the M61 p:ssing oil everywhere. Went within 20 miles :thumbdown

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i shall take a look tomorrow

is there a seal kit or something if it that thats gone or will it be a strip down job

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and there is no drip that can be seen just a small dribble thats not getting bigger
is there no way it could be down to the petrol spillage

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
the petrol won't be dripping mate (i take it you have wiped all the excess spillage) and if your diff is dripping (little or a lot) it will need sorting and reservicing with new oil. I binned mine a while back so can't have a look for any spare seals for you. PM Rodgerrally, he may have all the seals needed

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right i took the car to steve hills for a full service and 4 wheel go and they told me that it never had gear box or ayc fluid init
what was in there was the same for the two and was like brown dirty water

the smell turned out to be the oil in the diff burning up and the vapor coming out the diff breather

so now its got new oils and filters and with the 4go its like i have bought a new car
its completley different now
smoother and quieter

top top boys down there well worth the money

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Glad it got sorted, but what you mean the diff gears & AYC never had proper fluids in them?! I'd be worried about that. Just be glad you didn't completely ruin the diff!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeh the guy at steve hills asked me in the work shop to show me and he said it was not even diff oil or ayc
he never knew what it was

lucky it never blew anything as i use the car all the time

and i never even wanted to know about the engine oil but he never said anything about that so i took it that was ok

but now it has got all the right oils init its 100% different

as the 4 wheel alignment goes i had i wheel pointing out as much as it would go and on the other side it was leaning out as much as it would go
so now thats been set up its got 1000 times more grip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts