Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it the norm to remove the 'restrictor' from the NACA duct on the bonnet (I think that's what it's called)? This will let some more air towards the filter of my HKS RSK, but i'm worried that it may also let more water in than normal?

Any views, thanks.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I heard that doing that will change the way the air flows under the bonnet and that is is not good to do it. No idea if that's true or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In theroy it should work OK but Claudius is right that the air flow may well be effected and may not make it any better. At least you are thinking about getting cold air to your filter whereas many people just stick in a new filter and let it breathe the hot air from under the bonnet!
Just replacing the OE airbox with a cone type filter and not thinking about sourcing cold air to it is a bad idea. In actual fact it can make matters worse! I have seen dyno graphs (not an Evo) that actually show that the power and torque DECREASED after fitting a cone filter against a standard airbox simply because the engine was breathing in hotter air than it did before. The Evo design is not as bad as that BUT look where the standard air box gets it supply from (just behind the headlight) and then look where your new cone replacement gets its supply (just in front of the suspension turret). Tucked in behind the headlight should be one of the coolest places, further back and you start to get hot air blown from the exhaust/turbo, radiator and the engine itself. You only have to lift the bonnet after a run to feel how hot the engine bay gets! Do yourself a favour and at the very least source some pipework to funnel cool air to you filter. The ideal option is to relocation the battery, get some intake pipework to put your filter at the front and make up a cold air box out of aluminium. Of course you can buy all of that but thats no fun

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I just realised you have the RSK, even better! You just need some aluminium and a few nuts and bolts to make up an air box with a bit of piping out to the front.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!

I remove the restictor when I fit the hks racing suction kit and I add an air duct from the front bumper to the filter made of that flexible aluminium to bring more cold air and it works fine!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys, I've been thinking of getting some tubing to extend the duct on the front bumper (I've got a Mak so there's an intake on the front that has some half-hearted pipework) and will look to get that sorted.

HH6 - do you know of anyone that supplies a box for the RSK? I'd never get round to sorting one myself so might be interested in making a purchase.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that it exist an airbox for the racing suction,you would have to buy the power engineering airbox that replaces the battery and will take your hks filter on a new aluminium hose for 350£.

It's delivered with all the parts but then your racing suction alloy hose will be uselesshttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >!

I thought about making an airbox for the racing suction kit,but I finally remove the restrictor on the naca air duct and fit a hose from the front bumper to bring some cold air,I think it's a good compromise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maxi,
Your right what you have done is a good compromise. The ideal situation is a sealed airbox though with intake ducting providing air from outside the engine bay all the time. With a non sealed airbox or just a hose the trouble arises when you don't actually get airflow through the hose, say when sitting in traffic. All the air taken through the filter will then come from the engine bay which will obviously be hot and even more so if stationary! That is why sealed airboxes are important.

I don't know if there is an aftermarket airbox suitable for the HKS RSK but I would have thought one could be easily adapted. Why go and buy one though? £350 for the PE box! You could make one up out of aluminium sheet for a less than a tenth of that price! Perhaps I should set up a business!

People actually enthuse about the HKS RSK saying it straightens the air flow etc. when in actual fact an air supply from outside the engine bay is far more important!
Have a look at the new E7 air intake it uses quite a common design of getting the air from the front the car, outside of the engine bay. The only trouble is that intake is too small (from what I can remember).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had a look at the Spec-R box (the PE box HH refers to) and although I think it a nice looking piece of kit, it is pricey, even when the alloy turbo intake pipe and battery tray are thrown in (I think it's £350 |PLS| VAT). Also I am not sure where exactly where the holes are to allow air in: the PE site says it allows air via the normal route (presumably a hole where the standard intake was) that leads to the space in front of the wheel arch) and from behind the headlight. However I need to see one in the metal.

If anyone knows any good alternatives I'd be interested to compare. I like the idea of this mod, especially as it shortens and straightens the turbo intake route so should help responsiveness and top end performance.

In the meantime I'll be able to see in the next week whether my blitz filter alone is a retrograde step or not.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't get me wrong, fitting the filter is not a retrograde step and may supply an increase in performance BUT you must also supply it with cool air to make it totally effective. Maxi probably has got the best compromise between cost and performance but it can be improved further by making your own airbox up for as little as £30 (or less!).
Shame I haven't got a filter to try it out on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts