Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest, I was perfectly happy with my 660cc Alto Works, and once this little oil leak is sorted out on it it'll run fine. But then I went to see a friend of mine about a week or so ago and saw the car he was either trying to sell or part out. Straight away I realised there was no way a car like this should be parted out or taken to a junkyard just to get raped for bits.

So I picked up an absolute steal and have got hold of a 1991 FC3S RX-7 in red. About 130,000km on the clock which isn't too bad, and looks gorgeous. One slight problem is it's not currently starting! "WTF!" I hear you immediately cry. But am pretty sure it's going to be a simple fix. The car's getting fuel & spark, and is getting fuel as far as the fuel filter. Have a list of 4 or 5 things to check but have a couple of people here who know quite a bit about FCs and are confident they can get it working with me. Comes with front & rear strut bars (the rear one being ghetto), HKS intake and a decat plus hella-loud exhaust.

And when we do (note I've said "when" and not "if"; 2010 is going to be a good year for me and cars) then I've picked up a huge bargain. Might have to whore myself out for petrol for the thing as I've heard they're not too economical. Might even keep the Alto as a daily driver and then have this as a real fun car, strip it and set it up for either drag, drift or some touge.

All that's left is to show you some pics. The minor bodywork imperfections in the pics have been sorted out since.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT LIVES!!! Not exactly sure what I did (possibly ended up being the fuel pump assembly, bizarrely enough) but put it back together today, turned the key and the engine fired into life. Was idling a little rough and fell on its ass and died once warmed up but I think that's mainly due to it having vacuum leaks all over the shop. There's also what looks like an oil leak somewhere under the car, but I can look at that once I get it running with some stability.

But it's doing more than it's done in quite a while, and I may have actually done something to a car without messing it up. Almost cause for celebration!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They can do, but compression is good. I'm thinking vacuum leaks is more the issue. It didn't start because the fuel pump/fuel pump assembly seemed to be bad. Now it starts up fine and just idles high as its warming up but then died once it was warm.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
When I had one a few years back I had a vacuum leak but it was just stopping the sequential turbo (2nd one coming in) working right. I remember there being an amazing abount of pipes and little solenoid things under the inlet manifold. Mine had just popped a hose off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't sound like much but it was a pretty big step taken today. Had the FC actually out of my apartment and in the dizzy heights of 2nd gear going down the road. Only went about 100m or so and then turned around and came back (mainly as I'm driving with no plates or anything and didn't want police to turn the corner and see me), but it was great to see the car actually being able to move. Something it's not done in over a year so it's giving me a little satisfaction.

The idle is still up and down like a Maehara girl's thong, and I think the front of the car might actually be pointing slightly skyward compared to the rear (raised the coilovers so it would clear the kerb ramp coming out of my parking area but did it too much; may need to come back down half an inch or so). It's hardly as if I'm drag racing in the thing just yet, but it is getting there. I just need this damn idle sorting. Might get a real long screwdriver and play with it while the engine's on to see if I can calm it down. But even if I can get it to calm down it still needs to come down below 1,000rpm so it will not play around with timing at idle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spent this weekend trying to get the car ready for shakken & registering, which hopefully starts on Tuesday when I get some temp tags and drive it down there. Put the charcoal cannister back on so almost everything emissions-related is on there, cleaned up the inside, outside & engine bay, and got the battery secured. Found I really need some new tyres but hopefully the ones I've got will pass the inspection. Will get some Star Specs in the mail ASAP. Not much more I can do now except hope it passes and try not to crash it on the drive to my regular garage!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out with the old...

And in with the new...

Namely a Ron Davis racing spec radiator. One of the best things about my used parts supplier here in Japan is that they don't have much of an idea how much US performance parts should cost, so on the rare occasions you see US stuff for sale it can be at a bargain price. Case in point. Should be pretty useful in the Okinawan heat as I'm sure you all know the rotaries run hotter than Boney M in their prime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts