Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a downer, I'm doing a ( free, which makes it worse! ) redec on my in-laws flat, 6 ceilings replastered, new skirtings, architraves, oak doors, repaint throughout, and feature wall paperhanging. This is the 3rd time in 5 weeks I've come in and found water coming through the ( newly painted! ) ceilings. It's never leaked in the 10 years they've owned it, only started it the day after I painted the 1st ceiling!

Every time we find and fix one leak, it starts somewhere else, bloody chimney stack now! Not content with just falling onto the ceiling there, the leaks decided to run down between the tiles and felt and come through where there's a nail poking through about 8 feet further across. So 3 separate water stains in the same room, and more on their way by the looks. There's more leaks than I've got buckets.

They're going to come back from abroad and find me hanging from a joist if this carries on. Who'd be a decorator, dunno what the hell I was thinking, signing up for this!

Still, better than being the roofer I suppose, he'll be raking it in, but I wouldn't fancy being up there in this crap.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sounds like a nightmare bud, hope you get it sorted and don't hang yourself, BUT try being a tree surgeon in this weather, clearing trees from stupid places is interesting. Although call out rates are pretty tidy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Welcome to my world......bar the decorating , even I pay to have that done :lol:

My worlds worse though as I only get to work on the scummy rentals full of smack heads/pi55 heads/peado lookalikes or the wimmins who fancy a kid of every race :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying to keep my mind on the fact that it's always worse for someone else, somewhere out there, but it's getting to the point where I'm not wanting to go in there, for fear of what I'm gonna find!

Two steps forward, three back most days at the mo!

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
@heaveho

Try working in some of the places I've been mate. I was working on an estates lift lobby areas and the c**ts kept peeing in the areas I was working and had to put my dust sheets in pee :frust:

I told my guv that I wasn't happy when he turned up one day. He asked me what was wrong, I said, well, apart from the pee everywhere and the litter that the residents can't be arsed to put down the effin shoot and leave it laying all around where I'm working, it's the chicken remains scattered all over the floor that's utterly disputing, he paused for a moment and then said, "well, least you don't have to bother buying anything to eat, you've got free food laying all around you moaning fudger". I said, "mate, it's not even remotely funny, I'm not laughing" :goingmad:

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Welcome to my world......bar the decorating , even I pay to have that done :lol:

My worlds worse though as I only get to work on the scummy rentals full of smack heads/pi55 heads/peado lookalikes or the wimmins who fancy a kid of every race :mad:
local authority, housing association ?

John.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world, just getting difficult to look forward to being there every morning at the minute. In theory, it should be finished next week, but I'll be still getting the bloody place watertight by then, as it stands.

The in-laws call to see how I'm getting on every now and again, they're elderly, so I don't tell them any of the bad stuff, but I'm getting jumpy that if water gets through the ceiling while I'm not there, it'll then get into the downstairs flat after that. Which obviously belongs to someone else!

The roofers fixed the last 2 leaks first go, but they can't come out 'til next week now, and the forecast sounds pretty bad for the weekend.....I can't even sheet the roof properly, because of the leak being at the side of the stack. Anywhere else, and I could at least temporarily deal with it.

For what it's worth, I used to work for Mears, doing kitchen and bathroom refurbs for Richmond city council in Houndslow, ( in the flats on Edgar Road ) that was a life experience! Glad I'm not doing it now, although some of the lads I was there with 10 years ago are still on the same contract, and still driving up there from Southampton every day, which is what I did. Don't miss that nonsense one bit.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it carries on like this, the van'll be in Autotrader, and I'll be ringing Lexus to see if I can have my old job back.

Things must be really bad............

·
ave it
856 Posts
Great thread ....im glad im not alone in this world then :mhihi:
You and me too fella , trying to do bases for conservatory and had a 6 day job been going on for nearly 10 days :smthumbdo driving me mad almost working for free :shake: oh and the van went AWOL today costing me almost £400 to fix not in a good place at the min :cry:

·
Premium Member
20,608 Posts
You and me too fella , trying to do bases for conservatory and had a 6 day job been going on for nearly 10 days :smthumbdo driving me mad almost working for free :shake: oh and the van went AWOL today costing me almost £400 to fix not in a good place at the min :cry:
Could be worse though ...my last pay cheque was dated July 4 th ....independence day they say , the irony :wallbang:

·
ave it
856 Posts
Could be worse though ...my last pay cheque was dated July 4 th ....independence day they say , the irony :wallbang:
4th July :eek: would have been camping in the street by now mate

·
ave it
856 Posts
Worse than that, I AM working for free!!!!!

Didn't sign up for all this bo!!ox that's come with it though. :smthumbdo :mad:
Been there too fella , when it comes to family we're always getting the short straw

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm self employed....I haven't earned a red cent since September.

I backed off all my work in August, including some very well payed stuff in Wimbledon, so I could finish sorting out my flat in Newcastle last year......I'd had it 3 years, and it still looked like a cross between a squat and a bachelor crash pad, not a good advert for a decorator! I dealt with that, then my Mother-in-law pays us a visit there in November, sees it, and puts the bite on to have the same done to her ( much bigger! ) flat in Southampton.

So here I am, trying to turn that around before they arrive back next month, thinking it was all going to plan, and now it's trying to turn itself into a water feature. Can't see the wood for the trees at the minute.....instead of coming back to a beautifully refurbed flat, it's borderline on whether they'll be staying in a hotel or not!

·
Premium Member
20,608 Posts
4th July :eek: would have been camping in the street by now mate
I called in all my reserves /favours etc ...there is light at end of tunnel ...but surviving till then is the key .....its great being self employed , have lads on your payroll but come hard times one is "non applicable" for social welfare ....must brush up on my foreign tongues .....political asylum ski I demand kulva :rolleyes:
Stella is cheaper than bottled water :D

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called in all my reserves /favours etc ...there is light at end of tunnel ...but surviving till then is the key .....its great being self employed , have lads on your payroll but come hard times one is "non applicable" for social welfare ....must brush up on my foreign tongues .....political asylum ski I demand kulva :rolleyes:
Stella is cheaper than bottled water :D
Jesus, if I had lads on a payroll, my house would be on the market by now! Hard enough getting enough to pay just me!

·
Premium Member
20,608 Posts
I'm self employed....I haven't earned a red cent since September.

I backed off all my work in August, including some very well payed stuff in Wimbledon, so I could finish sorting out my flat in Newcastle last year......I'd had it 3 years, and it still looked like a cross between a squat and a bachelor crash pad, not a good advert for a decorator! I dealt with that, then my Mother-in-law pays us a visit there in November, sees it, and puts the bite on to have the same done to her ( much bigger! ) flat in Southampton.

So here I am, trying to turn that around before they arrive back next month, thinking it was all going to plan, and now it's trying to turn itself into a water feature. Can't see the wood for the trees at the minute.....instead of coming back to a beautifully refurbed flat, it's borderline on whether they'll be staying in a hotel or not!
Life is a trial ....but hold fast , you will be rewarded eventually (I keep telling myself that ...if you hear it enough you will believe...self brainwashing ftw ...well..... well lubed brain in beer is a big help to me :handsup:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts