Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This post concerns Empra_EvoVI's EVO increase in lag or time for turbo to spool up after a decatted exhaust.

I too have gone for my exhaust to exit from the right hand side of the car. It is 3 from turbo back, through the standard CAT, then thru a resonator, then 3.5 stainless steel to the Apexi N1 tip angled outwards and upwards. I was thinking of decatting my exhaust by placing a piece of pipe in replacement, but not too sure now given Empra_EvoVI's post? I have actually booked the car in to have it decatted in a few days time.

After replacing the exhaust, the increase in HP is obvious as the turbo spools up a lot faster and more power throughout. Don't think I've lost much, if any, bottom end power which seems to be the case with an aftermarket exhaust. Very happy with the exhaust at the moment.

The main reason why I want to decatt is for the flames :) Also, I'd with the exhaust were LOUDER! It's pretty loud at the moment, but not loud enough. I reckon its not the exhaust tho, but the 4G63 engine. I've heard many 180sx's and they are much louder but I believe its mainly due to the engine, SR20.

Anyway, I'll prolly end up decatting the exhaust then report on what happens. Hopefully all is good.

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
De-catting will improve noise a little, reduce EGT's a little and
the turbo will spool a little quicker. Well worth doing for about £50 !

I have a magnex front pipe and decat and HKS Hiper back box.....
but I dont get flames 8-(

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yellow 5,
Flames will b absent until u replace the centre section of pipe from the decat 2 back box , this is a very effective flame arrester and restricts power 2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK guys,

I have just replaced the cat with a piece of 3 pipe. The car sounds SO MUCH better now! Significantly louder and deeper. Not so much on idle but once u start moving you can def. tell the difference. Power wise I'm not sure if there's much improvement, maybe a little.

Anyway, with regard to flames I have yet to spit a flame outta my exhaust! :( I haven't really been trying but I've left her in 2nd upto 60km/hr and nothing.

Question: For all you ppl that can spit out flames, how do you achieve this? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rev hard to just before the limiter and change up. Should get some unburnt fuel on the overrun, resulting in a flame. Nice :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally flames r produced during full throttle charges thru the gears.......on the upchanges.
Also it can happen when say charging thru a bend on heavy throttle then feathering the throttle and resuming hard accelaration , this causes the rich mixture 2 ignite in the tail pipe thus producing a nice woofly bang and ball of flame , GR8 :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts