Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here is my car collection, starting with my first car when I was 18 yr old in 1988. Old V reg 2.0 GL, Cost £1000 and lasted 6 months before it went up in flames (carb caught fire) on the M5 while dong 90 mph !

Got £1000 back off the insurance and have never had a claim since !

At the time I was in the Navy, so between 1988 & 1998 I used to run up & down the country from Plymouth / Portsmouth / Scotland to Geordieland, generally with 3 hairy arsed matelots filling the other seats :p

Look at the other cars in the car park - you would think it was 1978 not 1988 (well it is Devon, what do you expect) !

FOR - A great first car, did the job well as I was too young to get a hot hatch :mad:

AGAINST - Nothing really - a great car for what it was.

I replaced it with a B reg Cavalier CDi - but never got any piccies of that :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Replaced the CDi as it was too slow with this in 1989 (2.0 MG Maestro EFi - 8V) - now don't laugh, this was a quick car in 1989, quicker than the XR2/3i which were both £1k more.

Paid £3300 for this when it was 3 yr old, did 100k miles in it over 4 years and sold for £500 (with 140k miles on) :)

This car suprised a lot of people at the "traffic light" grand prix !

Only 112 bhp, but it only weighed about 900kg !!

FOR - Quick, Sporty interior, red seatbelts, practical (5 door).

AGAINST - Image, didn't handle too well.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wanted an MI16, but couldn't afford one, so in 1993 I got this instead - 405 SRi (125bhp - 8v).

(I nearly got a 309 GTi just before this but the one I wanted sold overnight when I was making my mind up) :mad:

Nice car, handled superb, but too slow (The MG was much quicker). Did 500 miles per tank though !

FOR - Handling, Fuel economy.

AGAINST - Poor gearbox, uncomfortable seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As that was too slow, I did a swap for this unusual car in 1994. Mazda 626 GT coupe, 150 bhp and all the toys, an excellent quick car but handled pants even after I lowered it and put bigger alloys on !

Also my first 16v car - so different to the 8v cars. 8v generally had the power coming in at 2000 rpm and redlining at 5000, whereas the 16v power came in at about 4000 redlining at 7000.

FOR - Performance, unusual looks, all toys inc Cruise cont etc.

AGAINST - Handling, cheap looking plasticy dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It was now 1995 and I got a bit more money together to get my dream car of the time - an MI 16, cost me £6100 but unfortunatley I got the "cat" version so it wasn't as quick as the earlier model, handled excellent though.
Sold it 6 months later for £6500 !

FOR - Handling, sporty interior, looks.

AGAINST - Gearbox, not quick enough for 160bhp.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I then got this - a Primera eGT which had 10 bhp less (150 bhp) than the MI16 (160 bhp), but was far quicker. It was lowered, had a full Janspeed exhaust, and bigger (15") alloys.

Amazing to think that performance cars came with 14's in them days, or 15's max :crackup:

Bought for £5600 and sold 6 months later for............£5600 !!

FOR - Handling, performance.

AGAINST - Dull interior / dashbaord.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now at the time (1996) the cossie ruled, but I always preferred the "French Cosworth" - the Phase II Renault 21 turbo.

This was 175 bhp (8v), but modded to about 210 with an in car boost controller, scorpion dtm upswept exhaust, panel filter etc.

I absolutely loved this car, kept it for 4 years and did 100k miles in it. It returned 35 mpg on a run.

bought it for £4600 and sold 4 years later for £2k.

FOR - Performance, cheap performance gains, looks, interior, fuel economy.

AGAINST - Handling could have been better.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is another of the car after it as modded a bit more with different alloys, lowered and eyebrows !!
The interior was also lovely on this - being full black leather, and a really useful trip fuel computer.

It had 150k miles on when I sold it in 2000, and I still see it running around now !

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So what could I replace that with - I had left the Navy, got a descent job with a big pay rise, it was the year 2000 and EVO II's were very unknown.
The average price was about £11k which is what I paid for this.

I was the first UK owner, it had a boost controller, uprated exhaust, HKS filter and III front bumper.

It was mag featured and I used to go down to York dragstrip in it and whip most cars there (doing 13.6s quarters).

This was also the first car I tracked and got the Trackday bug from, although the brakes only used to last 4 laps of Croft before they warped !!

I had it for a year and was a member of the then LTR but when insurance time came around I was looking at £2k which I couldn't afford (only paid £900 the previous year) and not many companies would touch Imports back then.

So I sold it for £10.5k to a guy in the Isle of Wight

FOR - Massive performance, rarity, looks.

AGAINST - Brakes, dated interior, fuel economy, insurance costs !

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I got my sensible head on and bought an Astra SRi (1.8 16v 125bhp) - not that quick but handled excellent and was suprisingly good on the track - remember it's more important to have 1, great handling, 2 great brakes and THEN 3, lots of power on the track !

Didn't keep this long as i wanted a faster car :)

FOR - Cheap Insurance, handling.

AGAINST - Nothing - a great "warm hatch" which I would recommend to anyone starting out as a first car nowadays.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I went for a scoob as the EVO's were still too expensive to insure.

Got this Terzo 3, put nicer 17's on and an STi 4 spoiler.

Canny car but pants on the track as the handling was awful so It had to go after about a year (2002).

FOR - Quick, engine sound, fuel consumption.

AGAINST - Handling, cheap interior / dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Liked my 4WD cars and this came up quite cheap so I had to have it - Golf V6 4 motion.
204 bhp and then I superchipped it to 220. Quick comfortable luxurious car, but too "nice" for the track so it had to go after 6 months !

FOR - Performance, quality interior, build quality.

AGAINST - Handling, fuel economy, small boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I decided to buy a car specific for trackdays and weekend fun now, so split the money from the Golf and got my lass an Astra SXi, I got the Integra Type R for my fun car.

Great trackday car, but a useless road car due to low torque and quite frustrating after the grunty things i'd had.

I had this when I joined the MLR last year, put ATR alloys on it and kept the originals for the track when I realised how good slicks were :D

The car had high miles so I decided to get rid of it before the magic 100k appeared.

FOR - Looks, handling, brakes.

AGAINST - Dated interior, harsh ride, low torque, small power band (6500 - 9000 rpm) and nothing there if your not in it !

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sold my lasses Astra as well and was on the look out for a V, but they were still quite pricey 12 months ago, so got this instead !

Quite a good car, but I realised how poor it was when I took it down a backroad and it was useless at handling and getting the power down due to the obtrusive traction control, which even when turned off came back on !!

Didn't get the chance to take it on the track - not that I was bothered !

FOR - Looks, fuel economy, moderate performance, cheap insurance.

AGAINST - handling on the limit, obtrusive T/C, girly car !!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So I did a straight swap for willox's V.

This is the quickest car i've ever had - it was running about 330 bhp and did 12.8 quarters.
I also tracked it and it was superb.

I loved this car but there were quite a few niggly faults and I got another payrise at work so it was time to look for a VI .........

FOR - Performance, handling, brakes, looks.

AGAINST - Expensive insurance, interior dated.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
.........so I took quite a few VI's out looking for the right one when I decided to go and have a look at a blue VII as I hadn't seen on in that colour.
There was no comparison, this was just a far better all round car than anything i'd owned.

It was quite simply fantastic in all areas, including emptying my wallet as it was much worse than the V on fuel (18mpg against 24)
It was also the best car i've tracked.

But as much as I really wanted to keep it, I just couldn't afford to keep filling it up every week, so it had to go :cry:

FOR - Handling, looks, brakes.

AGAINST - Fuel economy, Insurance costs, size of car, gearchange really slow - especially on the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I was on the lookout for a VI, but I always fancied a III and this came up just at the right time - the best III I had ever seen.

Bought it without thinking sensibly - just kept thinking of all the money I had leftover from the sale of the VII !!!

Soon realised it would be no good for the track unless a lot of money was spent upgrading it, and as i hate losing money on cars (I've done okay over the years) i decided whatever i spent on it would be down the pan. Also my lass hated it (coming from the VII) so it had to go after 2 short months.

FOR - Looks, price.

AGAINST - Handling, brakes, performance, dated interior (compared to the last few cars i'd owned)

Attachments

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You probably all know the story from there.
I just couldn't find anything I wanted, and after 3 long weeks of looking I found my RS.

Now I know my track record isn't very good on keeping cars, but remember I did keep a few for 4 years !

This makes you smile everytime you get in it, and is an excellent all round performance car.

The best FWD car i've owned and I expect to be keeping it quite some time - honest !!! :blush: Oops !!

FOR - Handling, size of car, practicality, brakes, interior, build quality, stereo, performance, looks, cheap insurance, ability to put power down so well for a FWD turbo car.

AGAINST - Seat too high, torque steer. Seat uncomfortable !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts