Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to Le Luc circuit near St Raphael yesterday. It was a lot of fun. Apart for my tires. The S01s are gone, huge chunks have left them on the outside edges. This is the rear axle, with AYC. The AVS in the front look pretty bad, but that is because of all that understeer.

Anyway, my point was to tell you that my brake set up worked fine every time, very little fading, no warping. The only problem was to not brake too hard because it triggers the ABS every time. This really písses me off! With normal tires! On a dry track! What kind of BABS settings have they put on their Evos? Renault setup? Or is it Bosch Mercedes type ABS?

Sorry for that, had to let it out. But now I think I was not hard enough on the brakes, that I didnt brake hard enough and that if they didnt warp, it was because of me. On the other hand, the calipers are almost black now...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Claudius

get some brake ducts.

The problem with the ABS is also related to the standard calliper. This is accentuated when using harsher pads like the RS14 compound. I had the same problem but already on the road. Almost everytime under hard braking locking up the wheels. If you don't use uprated pads at the rear this can be even worse because you have too much brake bias to the front.

No surprise your brakes even faded with the RS14. The callipers are the best proof that your system is running far too hot. Get a rebuild of your callipers (seals could have been melted down, pistons can seize, brake fluid escape, not nice on the Turini).

Take care

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Claudius
Pull out the fuse - It solves your problem (I am sure you can live with the warning light on the dash).
This is EXACTLY what I intend to do with my car to get around the ABS issue - And you think an Evo 6 is bad - Try a 7 (some very scary moments...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scooby

I always lock my brakes on the road as well, but it is not too bad, there are no rallye cars there to pass. On the track this is different. I will definitely get the Pagids in the back as well and get serious tires, and an ABS switch.

But hey, my main point was to tell you that the discs didnt warp. Which confirms what I initially thought of them.

Andre, Gerrit, other ring guys

The backroads here are much more stress on the brakes than a 3 km circuit!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
claudius

i run with 2 piece discs now with carbon metallic 97 compound on the fronts and ferodo 4003 on the back end.

great stopping power i can lock up 235/40/18 tires with ease at 170 km an hour

maybe movit or ap is better but this is a cheap solution compare to complete sets.

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Claudius

nice for you if you're discs don't warp. But getting brown callipers can't be the solution, can it? This means they overheated badly. As I've just written yesterday I drove the whole weekend on tarmac rally stages in the Ticino. No probs, no fading, no brown callipers. Even racing down the San Bernardino was no task for my brakes. And this means braking for 20km downhill. But each to their own. If you're happy with your setup this is good for you.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scoobydooby

Not sayin your brakes arent better, I believe they are. Mine are just cheaper and dont warp. That was all I meant to say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Claudius

don't get me wrong. I'll appreciate that you try to find an affordable solution without the need to buy a big kit for big money. I wanted to do that with the Porker discs and it showed unsatisfying results. Then I tested the full monty and this solved it. I myself would have also preferred a cheaper solution that's for sure. I can now almost open a brake shop with standard discs, callipers and different brake pads.

But get your callipers rebuilt. After getting dark brown they need it.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Michael

hope you don't get jelous;) Brakes have obviously become my passion so I'm always interested in others views.

But I follow your ECU decision process very closely. This self-mapping does get more and more interesting.

Cheers

Mike

PS: Could you get hold of a Sport Auto copy with the Jun EVO?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scoobymike,

I have the same setup as Claudius and the brakes did not warp too.
About the brown calipers, you are right it's because they overheat, but that's quiet normal. If you fit competition pads they will brake better even when the discs are hot, and by doing this the discs will become even warmer, especially if the fluid is not boiling.
The standard calipers paint is also maybe less good quality than others, but that doesn't mean that you have to rebuild your calipers.
If you have a look at the rally evos all the calipers are brown:D!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maxi

my brembo calipers are getting brown too:)

i was checking the inside and the seals today there is not much left of them the seals are almost comming out around the pistons
how bad is this do i need to replace them or can i keep on going.

and i lost a my rear caliper pin to hold the pads in place

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys

what you forget is that a racing car gets serviced a lot more often and after Rallies gets a thourough checkover and according to that they replace loads of parts. So to compare your car to a Racing car is not very valid. I don't think any Rally driver drives without a rebuilt calliper. Would be quite dangerous.

André

if your piston seals are gone get it checked. I don't want to imagine when having an emergeny stop and by pressing the middle pedal the fluid instead of pressing the piston on the pad just flows out. The other factor is contamination of the brake fluid which could also lead to brake failure. You don't want to risk your lives do you.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andre,

if you lost the pin while you were servicing the pad, get a clean workshop and get organised before you go and take things apart. I know that's easy to say, especially coming out of my mouth as I get carried away when working on cars too... who else hates the fück-where-has that-part-gone feeling after which you crawl around on the floor looking for it??

Mike,

yep, found the Sport Auto. The article wasn't very long and kinda showed that their writers are little pussies too. The part about how embarrased they felt driving around Stuttgart indicates that deep inside they are Porsche loving ponces. The time they got must have been a mistake, i.e. they probably didn't try very hard. I wonder which test was done first, the one of the record breaking Porsche GT3 or the JUN Evo... Thinking about when the JUN Evo actually was in the country, I suppose that that test was the first one, but of course they couldn't let a non-German (read Porsche) car have the record on the small Hockenheim track and waited until they could break it with a Porsche.... Ja, ja, das ist gut!! Everyzing o.k. in Jaahmany!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thx scoobymike

micheal i lost the rear pin and clip when driving on the circuit.

my garage looks like the prodrive/ralliart workshop (you can eat from the floor:)

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I lost the clip on a front caliper and the pin was starting to work its way out. It was discovered by my garage when doing a check over prior to a trackday. Phew.http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > I check this more often now. :D

Darryl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.