Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am now the proud owner of a Silver Tommi Mak, and was wondering if I could pick your brains a little.

It may just be the time of year, but my car gets filthy very quickly, particularly along the side skirts and the lower half of the doors - would adding a set of mud flaps help with this at all? I've never been a particularly big fan of mud flaps, as they seem to forever be scraping on the ground / speed bumps / etc...

Secondly, I have read and been told that the engine should be left idling for a while before being turned off, to allow the turbo to cool. How important is this, and for how long should I be doing it? I have so far been waiting a minute or two before switching off, but was wondering whether it is still necessary if I haven't been driving hard (i.e. in traffic / cruising along at 30/40).

Finally, a little something the saleswoman told me might amuse you - it wasn't until I took delivery that I discovered the truth. As you'll no doubt be aware, there is a little button on the key that remotely controls the central locking - the salewoman must have knocked it when starting the car for the test drive (or I may have done). Anyway, when it came time to get out, I noticed that the doors were locked. Oh, she said, Evos are quite often carjacked, so they've built in a feature to automatically lock the doors whenever the engine is started ... ;)

Adam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
About leaving your engine idling, i understand you can get something called a turbo timer, they keep your engine running so oil is still pumped through the turbo when u leave the car. i think some vary how long they run for depending on how u drive too. dont know how much they are or anything sorry,

Lewis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Queripel
I too have a Makinen in red, and would recommend fitting mudflaps to you. The only downside to this is the cost. For genuine Ralliart mudflaps [ in either red or blue ] your looking at a shade over £200. Have a look at www.grahamgoode.com as they have some alternative flaps at a more palitable price. I have to say though that the ralliart flaps do suit the car very well I.M.H.O. but thats just personal taste. The answer to the turbo question is that you should let the engine idle for a short period of time when you have been driving hard ie- motorway or tommi mak. style round the country lanes. This is really for letting the turbo slow down as it can spin upto 100.000 rpm, so if you shut off too soon there is no oil supply to the turbo and centre bearing so you will damage the bearing if the oil stops and the turbo is still spinning at a high rpm. I personally leave it ticking over for a period of time regardless of driving style but this can be a pain when filling with fuel as your sat ther waiting for a couple of miniutes and people think your ignorant. Hope this helps Regards. SIMON.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Queripel,

Congrats on the MAK. If you run for a couple of mins with no boost before stopping, this should be sufficient. See threads (millions of 'em, just search) about this subject and pro's and cons of turbo timers!

Mud flaps are expensive, for what you get. Clean your car more often! :)

If your car has Cat 1 alarm (which I presume it will have), generally the doors will automatically lock when engine started, as a measure against jacking.

Beware of the button on the key, 'cos I keep pressing mine in my pocket by mistake and it sets the alarm off!

Enjoy

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
qi,

I've got a silver tme as well and it gets real sh1tty this time of year. It's normally the wheels that are the hardest to keep clean as the mud comes off the flanks fairly easy with a pressure spray (especially if you do when the dew is still on the car).

Turbo timers are [email protected] imo. An evo has a water cooled turbo so unless you're in the habit of caning it right up to wherever you stop I shouldn't worry. For example I live at the top of a hill after a mile long straight. Normally there's too much traffic to do much speed along the road and when I've pulled in I turn off stright away. However late at night it's been known for me to go full throttle before pulling into the house, the turbo and manifold are red hot at this point, I popped up the bonnet, gave it 2 minutes of idling, jobs a good 'un.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The age old Turbo Timer question (hmmm.....perhaps that is something to add to my FAQ's).

You are quite right the engine does need to be run for while off boost to allow the turbo to cool down. It is partically due to the fact that the turbine takes a while to stop spinning after switching off (as mentioned above) but it is more to do with the fact that an extremely hot turbo can 'burn' the turbo bearing lubricating oil and the bearing can itself overheat causing distortion all because the oil will not be circulating when the engine is switched off. Allowing the turbo to cool properly before switching off is important for the long life of the turbo.
Generally just make sure you drive the last 3 or 4 miles (or 5 minutes) off boost to allow the turbo to cool down before switching off. Actually driving slowly for the last few miles is better for cooling than letting the car sit stationary on idle, it will cool down a lot more quickly when driving. Driving slowly will also give a chance for the brakes to cool down before stopping. Don't rev the engine before switching off as it will take longer for the turbo to come to rest.

You can get electronic devices called Turbo Timers that take into account boost levels, engine temperature etc. reached when driving and then allow the engine to carry on running for a time when you remove the ignition key to allow the turbo to cool down.
There are a few important drawbacks to Turbo Timers though:
They are technically illegal in the UK if used as intended (it is an offense to leave a motor vehicle running and unattended).
They offer an easier route for thieves to hotwire a car as a Turbo Timer controls the ignition.
Some Insurance companies will not insure you if you have an operating Turbo Timer fitted (due to the above reason).
They are a waste of money!

The best Turbo Timer is the driver, only you know precisely how the car was driven, what the air temperature is like, when you last changed the oil, the quality of the oil used etc. All this effects how long you should allow for the turbo to cool down and only your brain can work that one out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not all cat 1 alarms have a 'built in ' door locking function as far as i know the standard cobra alarm as fitted to the uk evos do not have this function .

does any one know if the cat 1 cobra fitted to the evos can be adapted to turn the interior light on when you unlock the doors ,the standard central locking on the key does this !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
iVE GOT ONE.

Yes the cobra alarm does allow the int light to come on ,also when the boot is opened the int light comes on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get yerself some Ralliart mudflaps, the red ones look cracking on a silver Evo. (or black ones if you want subtlety!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Andy Fox knows a bloke that can do the flaps and the stickers for them, so what ever you do dont pay the ralliart price.

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talking about flaps, has anyone seen the new Evo VII flaps as fitted to the Ralliart Extreme derivatives demonstrators, well tasty!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts