Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted the Mov'it brake kit on their Evo? I think Scoobymike had interest in it. If you have it, how is it? They have a pic of the kit on their site. www.movit.de. Funny English though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Claudius,

Yes, I have the complete Mov'it package (front and rear) on my Evo 6. My car was used to test the whole setup for fit and function. It is my car you see on their site. www.movit.de

The front rotors are placed 10 mm closer to the inside (as Andre suggested as well: groeten, ja ik ben nederlander, woonachtig in Duitsland) for better cooling purposes. The calipers are similar to the GT-3 (Monobloc 4-piston front and rear). Steelflex hoses, top quality german (Porsche) brake rotors, air scoops on the suspension arms, bla bla bla....

Does it work? Better believe it!! I have already done 38 laps with it on the Nuerburgring (often 5 in a row|EQU| 104 km!!) and they are amazing. Also on the Autobahn with all those bloody trucks.

I am using Pagid RS4-4 pads, squeal a bit (racing pads), but they stop my car everytime. No problems with fade or warping whatsoever! The rotors and pads don't show any sign of overheating.

Stopping power is amazing: may need better tires now......(Dunlop Super Sport SP 9000 Race!!).

Mov'it will offer:

Upgrade package (DM 1990): Porsche rotors with alu bell to fit std. calipers. Also included are steelflex hoses (front and rear) and the air scoops.

Next up is a complete brake system for the front (ca. DM 4300): same rotor (322 x32), different bell (10 mm more inside for better cooling and a larger choice of aftermarket wheels), steelflex hoses (stainless steel with PTFE inner structure), double vented pads, CNC machined steel caliper brackets, scoops, and monobloc 4-piston calipers.

A complete system for front and rear will cost around DM 8300: front package plus monobloc 4-piston calipers for the rear, 299 x 24 mm vented and 'crossdrilled' rotors, pads and mounting hardware. This is what I have on my car. I think prices are good, especially if you consider what you are getting. I am looking foreward to many more laps on the Ring (next I will install a EVC 4 to increase boost the smart way)

Scooby Mike will get the Upgrade Package: he will keep you posted on that affordable solution against warping! But if you want extreme braking performance and a good balance, I recommend you do the front and rear completely.

The nice bonus about the monobloc design is that the calipers are lighter (no need for heavy steel bolts) and more compact (offer better cooling).

Why did Mitsubishi put the front calipers in front of the rotors? If you know what I mean: Porsches and others have their front-calipers on the cabin side, which offers better ventilation for the rotor.

We should all meet on the Ring one day!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, I was nice and polite to Claudius! Really meant it with the meet at the ring: we will be able to see what Claudius (five star member!) can do with his Evo! Hope the weather will be as nice as it is in Monaco. See ya there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yo

still waiting for my test set of discs and the other stuff as Gerrit said. I'll apparantly get the Pagid black pads for my setup. As mentioned what I'll use is the phase one kit which should give an affordable solution against warping. But I'll save my comments till I used it but it looks very promising.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll fit the CTF discs first to see how they are, with Pagid pads. MAXI slightly warped these towards the end of their live, but he did it on purpose to see how good they are.

Anyway, I've been looking into AP stuff, they make 6 pot LC and 8 pot LC calipers with a max disc of 378 mm. You need 18 inch wheels obviously... I will know prices for this stuff on Tuesday. Brakink power of the AP 8 piston callipers LC (!) is 3300 bhp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Claudius,

Are you drunk or what?
Do you measure the stopping power in bhp?

I didn't warp the CTF discs, I warp my standard old discs with the pagid black pads!

What about the 6 pot gt2 calipers from mov'it? They say that they would need 19 inches rims with 380mm discs but maybe they can have them with slightly smaller discs as 375mm for 18 inches for the evo.
Theyr stuff look good but I would probably prefer ap racing 6 or 8 pot calipers than standard porsche calipers, What do you think?

The COROLLA WRC is using CTF discs, so they should be good quality, I have them on my EVO V and they don't warp, but it looks like the evo v rs do not warp the standard discs.
Is there anyone that will get the CTF discs from Scoobymike to fit them to a six to see if they warp or not?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maxi

couldn't sell my project u yet. It seems all of a sudden nobody has brake problems anymore. Especially considering the price I offer them EUR 700 compared to 700 GBP what they would cost in the UK.
I hope I'll get my movit stuff this week so I could probably fit it next weekend.
The LC AP stuff is way over the top. You would need slicks to fully exploit them. And to be honest this stuff is for Makinen and not for us mere mortals. Get a drive in a Group N EVO and the last thing you'll complain is braking! Braking power with the standard system is surely not the issue but to find out the right combination of discs and pads this is the tricky stuff. Sort this out and get some proper cooling to the discs.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Claudius,

The AP 8 pots are not suitable for road use as they do not have dust seals. Infact AP only recommend 330mm discs and 6 pots for the EVO. I have had several recent communications with them to see if there is an upgrade path for me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blade,

What are the dust seals?
I can't see why they wouldn't be suitable for road use.

The 8 pot kit is used in WRC but we need it more than Tommi, as he really know how to drive and he has slicks, he's driving hard in a closed road, he has got an helmet, harness, roll bar, and his evo is not that fast as there is a 34mm restrictor!

We go fast in open roads, without any rollbar or helmet, Our evo can be tuned up to 500bhp,
we don't have slick tyres, and we don't drive as good as Tommi Makinen, so we need good brakes toohttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >!

If AP don't want to sell us theyr 8 pot kit, there are also 8pot calipers made from brembo and alcon. And at least the mov'it gt2 6 pot[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blade

what are dust seals? Why would you need them? If the 8 pot trigger tha ABS immediately, what about 6 pot LC?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
read my solution thread tell what you think about it

claudius with ap 8 pots you need to fasten up the seats otherwise you go thru the front windows including the seat http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

AP 6 pot is more than enough what you can do is go for the 6 pot with bigger discs maybe 378 will fit in 18 inch it depends on the shape of the caliper.

but the ap 6 pot setup with 330 grooved discs will stop you more than enough if not put some high friction pads in it like

carbon metallic 93,97 compound
ferodo ds 3000
pagid rs14

these pads don t give youre discs a long life but what the h... you want brakes won't you claudius

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Monaco boys,

I think AP will sell you the 8-pot if you want to... and it'll probably be a bit difficult on the road as I suppose it might need some sort of temperature to work properly. The Mov'it calipers are only 4-pot, but I think they'll be good enough as that's what the GT3 uses. Apparently their discs and pads last forever, at least that's what they told me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are right, it is probably safer to get a better seat attachment...

Anyway, I'll post the prices for the brakes later on, when I get them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i talked to ap also

they told me if you go from the brembo system to ap 6 pots you don t have much better braking
mostly it's the pads that give you the stopping power.

if you put some carbon metallic 97 compound in the brembo system it s more than ok even on slicks the only problem is with the brembo system is that the discs are going to warp if that was not the problem anymore the brembo s are ok and will brake very hard with the good pads in it.

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dust seals are necessary for roads use as they prevent dirt, salt, water etc. destroying the brake pistons. Unless you've got a lot of time and can clean the pistons after every week. Not recommendable for road use only for competition.
One thing you forget about the LC AP kit. Maybe the discs can take so much heat but what about the wheels bearings and exposed suspension components etc. This isn't up to the job.
Again sort out the cooling, get decent discs and pads and safe the money for some track days.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scoobymike pretty much answered all your questions - cheers. Was only passing on what AP told them. I was asking about upgrading my setup to 8 pots and 380mm discs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very funny dutch boy! :D

I remember reading this a while ago. What I meant to say is did you stop after 5 laps or did you HAVE to stop? From your message, it sounds like you stoppped because you had enough after 104 fast kms on the ring. I cannot see how those brakes would not fade on a track that is hard on the brakes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Claudius

can you explain why those brakes should suffer from fading? This setup is aequivalent to a Porker GT 3 setup with uprated pads plus additional cooling to the brakes. I've got the pictures of the discs after now 50 laps on the Ring and they look still like new, no cracks, no heat signs.

If you drive more than 5 flying laps on the Ring you need good stamina. I faltered after 4 laps and had to go out. Gerrit used to race downhill mountain bikes and his stamina is out of the question.

As you have never driven on a proper track you just can't judge it. You just can't compare it to fast road driving, it's completely different.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, every time you brake the brakes heat up. After a while, they will reach higher temps than
the discs
the pads
the fluid
the calipers

can take. right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts