Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I think there are a fair few mountain bikers on here...

I have a mountain bike in my shed that I last used for my paper round & think its prob a good time to buy a new one!

Suggestions please for a decent mountain bike around £200 from a cheap supplier...

Cheers
M.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Im in a similar situation!

Been looking at Specialized Rockhoppers on ebay, you cant get alot of bike for a good price on there.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Specialized Rockhopper is the best of the 'starter' bikes IMO :) Bits wear out on Mountain Bikes so you want to go for the best frame you can followed by forks. The rest of the kit you can upgrade as it wears out. Dont be persuaded by gimicks like disk brakes as they will be rubbish on sub £400 bikes.

:)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
What about the Land Rover Defender Tahora?(£230 ish)I quite fancy one of those , okay its nothing flash and doesnt have carbon forks or a cassette hub ect ect, but then again Im most likely to use it on road or muddy tracks rather than full off road use.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Dmac1969 said:
What about the Land Rover Defender Tahora?(£230 ish)I quite fancy one of those , okay its nothing flash and doesnt have carbon forks or a cassette hub ect ect, but then again Im most likely to use it on road or muddy tracks rather than full off road use.
No no no no no no no no no :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I`ve got a brand-new unwanted unridden top class mountain bike in my garage...For sale around the £300 mark[...Can`t get the picture in...E-mail me if anyone is interested and I`ll send you some pictures

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Marin Nuff said, I used to live in North Wales and I would hit Snowdonia, all the time I also have been around the Cheddar Gorge and parts of somerset, I missed out my chance to go to arizona a couple of years back and to be honest I'm not in good enough shape anymore but whatever type of riding you want to do Marin will have the kit

I was runnig full RST shox and drilled discs, it cost 2k mind but I used it. Make sure you get the gears and chain serviced and oiled regularly if you are going to ride on dirt tracks

http://www.marinbikes.com/

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Prefer cannondale bikes myself. Tried Gary Fisher, Klein, GT, IMO Cannondale are the best bikes available. Frame construction is second-to-none, all other parts can be upgraded.

Maybe a bit out of your price range unless you buy second-hand but there are bargains out there

·
Registered
746 Posts
My boys both have Kona's, both good bikes.

One has the Stinky de-luxe for downhill & general free style and the other has a Stuff for dirt jumping & street tricks.

We haven't had any problems with either so far apart from just carrying out general maintenance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts