Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions gentlemen,
does a motec do away with the std air flow meter ?
and
i now have a titanium turbo,does anyone know how to tell a makinen turbo from a rs turbo.....anything i can measure ?
thank you in advance
love and kisses
peace
have a nice day
etc etc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,its the famous Mouton(I am not worthy)...

Question 1 Yes it does do away with the airflow meter it incorporates a map sensor.

Question 2 The RS Turbo is physically bigger and give you a better ability to increase power though there is more lag.Peak performance is at 1.6 bar though it is okay upto 1.8 bar above that you will need to upgrade to another Turbo but Im sure with your experience you already know that.

Regards Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Titanium turbo information

On the compressor housing you will find the type of turbo stamped on the front of the casing.

Evo TME GSR - TD05HRA-15GK2-10.5T

Evo 6, TME RS - TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T
Evo 7 - TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T

If you cannot read that then you could take off the compressor housing cover - big circlip - and measure the compressor wheel diameter.

TME GSR - 65mm diameter compressor

RS - 68mm diameter compressor.

Note that the evo 7 has a smaller turbine housing A/R - 9.8 instead of 10.5 on the evos 5,6,TME. This will reduce lag a little but ultimately reduce exhaust flow too - hence maximum power potential is slightly reduced.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for info,will get turbo part number......
have already found that the inlet pipe is bigger than my 5,mine had a plastic sleeve to make up the diameter to the size of the inlet pipe

motec
i thaught as much
perhaps you can explain then why a car in one of this months top shelf magazines,banzai or jap perf,
has a motec ,a few halfords goodies,an air flow sensor (!) and 350 brake

when will this board re-open again after this one gets going please !!!!!!!

mickael k .........get on the case

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi
it depends on the motec. the M4 adn M4 PRO ( i think) still use the standard ECU as well as the motec ecu. i think the standard ecu is there to control idle. therefore the a/f meter is needed for the standard ecu. however most motec M48, M48 PRO etc don't need the standard ecu at all and therefore you wouldn't need the a/f meter.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh,that explains it then !
turbo is 15gk2.....so its mak gsr............so what have i got in real terms/dimensions etc

lets take a moment to consider thepossible ramifications of misleading information ,

it may become our (thats you and me) responsibility to correct it !

imagine if you will a typical evo owner
in his 30,s,works in I.T. ,lets call him DARREN,for the sake of arguement (!)
instead of blowing this years bonus in IKEA or NEXT ,he decides to turn to a tuning company.
but which one ??
if he picks the wrong one,he could sue all of us for not guiding him correctly !!

many poeple have raised the issue of children reading this board.
lets now consider DARREN as a spoilt teenager,complete with PS2
he earns his laurels on Grand TOURISMO 3,but again wastes his hard earned dough on the wrong bits,after reading duff info on the web.
homework suffers,his relationship with his parents deteriorates,moods swing violently as he spends all his time trying to correct his mistakes.
his parents sue Sony and win,world stockmarkets crash (again) and darren,now into glue,steals evos for a living

i for one am going to be really carefull what i say and write,
and read
in the future !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mouton

Your last post is a bit technical for me. Good thing it wasn't in the General section ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the chassis number on the firewall.

GSR - SNGF

RS - SNDF

Failing that check the turbo type as in above posting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts