Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of saving up 4 a MOTEC ECU

Any 1 got one and what do u think of them?

My list of mods r on the Lancer chat under (Results from PE today) (Sorry it takes me ages to write them,I am a slow typer!)

plus the new mods additional to that r

PE Fuel pump
PE Brake cooling duct kit
PE Aquamist Water injection system

Thanxs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get a GEMS, it is cheaper and proving to be more reliable than the Motec according to some rally folk. Mine has just gone on and it is awesome.

Whether you go Gems or Motec, get Steve Simpson to map it. Top bloke, top map.

Motec is just more expensive.

How much power you after? If you intend going big turbo etc. then I wouldn't get the PE fuel pump (I know, I have had one). Go straight for a bosch or sard pump. Equally, instead of aquamist, get a bigger intercooler (like the Pace). This has a far bigger benefit (I have both, so I know). The aquamist can't reduce the charge temp more than the pace does, but is handy in summer (i have it on a switch). You can map it and fit it near the inlet manifold, but this is tricky to do right and could lose you power.

Do you have APs and do you do trackdays? The PE ducts don't stop warping on standard brakes (my car was used to develop the PE ducts). They are also horribly expensive - you could get a fabrication shop to make them far cheaper. They are really needed for a track car.

Hopefully I can save you some money :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got to agree with Blade on this one. Go for the Gems. Not only is it cheaper but I am beginning to get the impression that for some reason, it suits the Evo better. Now I know that is not very scientific so don't flame me. Let me explain. I am going for the Gems on my car and was talking to Ralliart UK about it. They have one of Motec's senior techies working for them now so I enquiered about going for the Motec. They weren't at all keen on the idea, even though they would make more money on it! However, they are just beginning to develop an Extreme version of the Scooby STi and they are trying the Motec on that. Some of this is, no doubt, based on experience with the particular car. However, there are also a number of rally teams who have switched from Motec to Gems. Yet again, I am not sure why. All this builds a picture of the Gems being more suited to the Evo, or maybe it is the people doing the mapping are just more experienced with Evos.

As Blade says, Steve does have an excellent reputation and many happy customers. So to sum up, the Gems is cheaper and the results will be as good if not better than the Motec. Tough decision........NOT :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but do you know what is actually funny!

gems is the ecu that prodrive use for their group N and WRC cars, and motec is used on the EVO WRC cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no surely something just does not add up there. at the end of the day the motec is a more advanced unit than the gems but it all depends on the mapper.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have already brought the PE Fuel pump,PE Brake duct cooling kit,Aquamist Water injection system and all been fitted now. DOH!

When I saw the Brake duct kit I thought damn that is exspensive for those few bits of stainless steel bits and silicone hose.So did some other peeps.

I am running standard brake discs with Pagid blue pads on the front. I do trackdays when i can,my 2nd trackday is at Castle Coombe this Sat 27th.Some more tack days to come this year :)

Any1 going to Castle Coombe this Sat?

I don't wanna run any more power,well if i had the spare cash I would like 2!

Just wanna make sure the car will run safe,don't fancy causing damage to the car!

I am running a standard ECU and if that ok 2 make my car safe then I will probably leave it at that.

Thanxs 4 the advice guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Original Post:
but do you know what is actually funny!

gems is the ecu that prodrive use for their group N and WRC cars, and motec is used on the EVO WRC cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no surely something just does not add up there. at the end of the day the motec is a more advanced unit than the gems but it all depends on the mapper.

sam
Wrong, Prodrive are now using PECTEL ECU's for their recently launched Group N cars .....

Carlos H.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evo 6 Tommi Makinen

Given where you want to go, the Motec is total overkill. I would probably get a PE remap, or a GEMS.

Rest of spec is ok for what you are wanting to do. Water injection will help protect the engine with the standard intercooler. I would get it on a switch, so you can turn it off in the winter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blade,Do u reckon I need a GEMS ECU and a AFC with the mods I got?

Thanxs for the advice so far Blade and every1 else

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi
i think you got your onions mixed up here :D

gems ecu is just another ecu like the motec so anything a motec can do the gems can albiet there is little differences in the way they do things and the amount of features available. gems ecu will have fuel control, ignition timing and boost control just to count few things it can do. the apexi afc is just there to control fuel and the there is another on apexi unit that controls boost. a full ecu will do every thing.

you can actually sell you apexi stuff and regain some of the money you spent towards your new ecu :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IMHO get Autronic, it has good features and controls the AYC. The idle control is superb and you get air temp correction facility.

Rgds Kevin ( yes mines on Autronic :) )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It depends what power levels you are trying to achive ?

Up to 350 bhp fit a ralliart sports ecu and amp; boost controller

If you know you want more than this go straight to a fully programmable ECU , don't waste your money on 3 different Apexi's trying to fool the std ECU.......................doh!!!!!!!!!!

From the research I've done I'm going down the GEMS route myself as and when funds permit , just blown all my spare dosh on AP 6 pots :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave

Leo's car is already pumping out 359bhp on std ecu, therefore the only good option would be a programmable ecu.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might be a stock ECU, but don't forget these bits ;)

HKS Racing suction kit
HKS SSQV blow off valve
HKS EVC
HKS Boost Button
HKS Camshafts @ 264 degrees
HKS adjustable cam pulleys
HKS Forged Pistons
HKS Fuel Cut defender
HKS Boost Gauge
ARP GPA rod bolts set
Silicone air intake pipe
AP Clutch

You should now do the ECU, won't state my preference again don't wanna get boring ;) :)

Rgds Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
go with BLADE on the GEMS route . must admit SS has now mapped a couple of cars for friends of mine and all they can say is how good the system is when SS has fitted and mapped there cars . i know BLADE is very happy with his system although he had not driven the car in anger since we last spoke . BLADE said something to me that stuck in my mind and that was that if you are not happy with the ECU MAPPER of the GEMS ECU then at least with the GEMS system you have a choice . but with the apexi fc and the pe ecu your are stuck with them . now that has to be a good point to buying the GEMS SYSTEM .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanx for that Kevin,

Knew he had those mods,just forgot to mention it.
His car was running v-lean on the RR day that we attended on the 9th of this month, so with the mods he definately needs a good ecu to
get a good 400bhp.
Why hell thats the same reason why I need a ecu!!:D:)

Cheers

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Luckliy I not brought the Apexi AFC!

GEMS seems the option I wanna go,just gotta c if I got the spare cash after sorting out my morgage!

Should know in a few weeks time!

Will my car run safe long term with my current mods on the standard ECU? just incase I not got the spare cash to get ECU :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts