Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an xmas bonus coming and want to get some toys for my motor (it was that or a wide screen tv).

I've got a Magnex cat back exhaust and was thinking of getting the following:

Blitz sus induction kit (seems a good one, any other recommendations?)
HKS Seq BOV (don't quite know the difference between sequential and non seq,?)
Magnex downpipe
Magnex cat replacement

I know the BOV may be considered a waste of money, but I love the noise.

Anybody got any better suggestions for £800 ish? Car is a 5 with standard air filter at present.

Thanks in advance

P

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pondy, this is what I've done to mine so far, with the exception of a Forge recirc valve instead of the HKS. The Forge is still fairly loud, with no idle problems. I'd say that you should go for it, this combination sounds great together, without being too loud :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Blitz SUS induction kit sure is pretty :cool: £173|PLS|vat|PLS|del
gis a shout if you want 12.5% discount !

I still prefer the HKS racing suction kit though....seriously nice !!!!!!! £285|PLS|v

If you go for the HKS SQV £245|PLS|v, make sure you buy the HKS electronic
idle stabilizer £95|PLS|v.

Consider Eibach springs too, just £90|PLS|v, improve the looks of the car,
improve ride quality, and reduces body roll, cannot recommend these enough !

Magnex front pipe and de-cat will be money well spent, though the HKS
front pipe and extension, although expensive (£450|PLS|v) is better.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! £800 doesnt go far in Lancer land.....

Drop me a line if I can help spend you bonus.... http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Justin
www.torqueic.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone considering an induction kit then look here. It certainly proved what I thought of the Blitz (I had one with my car and sold it, glad I did) but the HKS was a total surprise!
By the way the article is an extract from an indepedant magazine as far as I know and has no association with any manufacturer of Induction kits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blitz or hks racing suction kit
forge dump valve or the standard one(with a cone filter it will make noise keep a recirculating one!)
magnex down pipe and decat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heave Ho,

Whilst the induction kit test made fairly interesting reading, I tend
to be very sceptical about these types of articles.

In my opinion, the HKS will flow the most air and give the most power,
but as this test points out, it does have poor filtering abilities.
Personally, it doesn't bother me. I remove my HKS filter regularly,
clean it in petrol and refit. What are the chances of it allowing in
some particels that will damage your engine/turbos.........probably zero !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HH6,

How much air flow is generated by a vacuum cleaner compared to a car? Be good to see this kind of test done with the same air flow as when on the car. If this is not the same all it proves is the comparative filtration of these filters, not whether the filtration is so low as to be dangerous.

BTW what did you replace your Blitz with?

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,
All a change of air flowrate would mean would be a time difference as to when the particles built up on the intake pipework etc...
More airflow containing more particles will mean that the intake wil get dirtier quicker than a slower airflow containing the same amount of particles therefore the vacuum cleaner test just accelerates what happens when the filters are on a car.

The only possible reason that the filtration efficiency might get better on a car than on a vacuum cleaner is if the filter is actually 'opening up' due to the increased pressure drop across it because of the greater airflow. If this happens then the filter will let through larger particles when attached to the vacuum cleaner than it would when attached to the car.

For the test to be truly comparative, you would also have to add exactly the same quantity of dust containing the same particle size distribution to each filter which I doubt was done in this case but it at least gives a rough idea.

Andy (ex filtration technical support engineer!!!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the answer Andy! :)

As an ex-filtration engineer would you touch the Blitz or HKS based on the above article??

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave,
Going from a purely filtration point of view, I would have said that the obvious winner was the Apexi and then followed by the K and amp;N but I wouldn't fancy the Blitz (from a filtration point). The HKS (as I understand it) is a foam type filter and will probably be the most prone to unloading the dirt collected under the higher pressure drop in the test. Therefore the HKS result is probably over exagerated and under less arduous conditions (i.e. in the car) will not pass this much dirt. The other filters are of the mesh type which are not prone to unloading but some still can do it, depending upon how the mesh is constructed. The other thing is that the filters that require coating with oil to operate (i.e. the K and amp;N and HKS) will also pass more of this oil through the filter under the higher pressure conditions of the test and so this will distort the result further.

HOWEVER, how much dirt is bad for the engine is something I don't know and so the Blitz might be perfectly OK from an engine point of view but going from the point of view of no dirt |EQU| better engine then I would rate them as follows:

1. Apexi or K and amp;N. K and amp;N probably looks worse due to the oil passing through under the higher pressure drop
2. Blitz

The HKS requires a retest under normal operating conditions before being able to be compared but I would imagine it to be a lot better than shown in the test report.

Hope this helps shed some light onto the subject.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As for the Blitz letting some dust through...
Its not only the engine you have to consider but the air flow meter getting clogged with dust and crap also dust and Turbo's are not exactly a nice mix.
What the tests should have included was a bog standard OE filter and then compare the aftermarket kits to that. As I said I thought the HKS results were surprising as I thought it would filter a lot better than it did. What was also surprising was power gains the Apexi showed for the filtration it provided, no doubt due to its large filtration surface area.

DaveG,
I got a Blitz with my car, the previous owner had taken it off (I don't know why) and put the OE box and filter back on. To me the Blitz looked crap filtration wise so I sold it and stuck with the OE item. Any filter you can see clearly through is not good in my book but that is my own personal view, everybody has their own ideas. No doubt Blitz have sold thousands of SUS kits worldwide and I expect 99.9% of their owners are happy its just I won't be one of them ;)

Its about time magazines over here did independant testing of aftermarket kit for cars as at the moment it is a lot of trial and error or word of mouth or in some cases what bit of kit looks better

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suspect that the wet filters started with a big disadvantage in this particular test. I suspect that with that much suction you are actually sucking then oil out of the filter. I would like to see the test done without any dust and see how much oil appears on the paper. If you look carefully at the picture, I think you can see bleed which would come from a liquid being involved. All in all, the more I think about it the more I find the test suspect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you considered keeping the standard airbox and fitting an aftermarket filter
such as the Ralliart Item 'RA188657S2' or the HKS Super Filter.

...Brian :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing about wet filters is maintaining them too, and I'm lazy.

I'll be getting an apexi and relocation box, should be nice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pondy,

If you go for the HKS ssBOV, I suggest you try without the idle stabilizer first. I didnt need one on my 5 - idled perfectly until the little plastic inline filter fell in half (which I believe they all do). Cured with araldite.

Darryl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pondy,I had the HKS SQV fitted on my TME had no problems with the idle because the SQV is designed to elliminate problems with idleling.Many of my friends also have it fitted and none of them have any problems either,you don't need the HKS Idle Stabilizer you will just be wasting your money.

Regards Barry:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
one thing to remember is that with does mods u'll probably start to get fuel cuts wen its cold so holding off till the summer cud be a good idea,but dump valve could be done anytime,old mans got the hks (which i fitted) and it works perfectly without the idle stabilizer and sounds great,as darryl will tell u im an expert on the hks valve :D :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts