Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my car is currently a totally standard VIII FQ300. This is a pre-MR one, so it already has the HKS airfilter, HKS hard-pipe kit and HKS Super Drager (I think?) exhaust that are fitted as part of the FQ300 upgrade.

What should I change and in what order? Preferably things I can do one at a time. I want the car to be quicker to drive, so guess I'm after more power/torque at mid-revs. A slightly louder BOV may be nice but I don't want anything too mad!

I want to keep an eye on noise with any mods as I don't want to start hitting problems at trackdays.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
The APS stuff looks lovely m8 :cool:

I would start with one of their 3.5 inch exhausts, then the induction system, followed by the bov and the intercooler. Then you just need to get it Motec'ed :coolsm:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does look nice, but what do you do about the cat come MOT time? Looks like it might be a bit loud too?

Any other suugestions anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Its not as loud as the Blitz thats for sure, plus any friendly MOT station should be able to help you out with the cat ;)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My MOT is still 18 months away - just thinking ahead a bit. :)

So what options if I don't want to replace the Super Drager - it's not the crap is it?

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Radar said:
My MOT is still 18 months away - just thinking ahead a bit. :)

So what options if I don't want to replace the Super Drager - it's not the crap is it?
If your keeping the exhaust then a new cone type induction kit followed by a Ralliart ECU or Ecutek map should sort you out. Would need a new fuel pump though and some form of boost control.
How far do you want to go though power wise :confused:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll keep going until I run out of money :crackup:

Just want to change things slowly, one step at a time...

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Radar said:
I'll keep going until I run out of money :crackup:

Just want to change things slowly, one step at a time...
Thats fair enough :D

However if you want to eventually go for big power (380bhp plus) then it would be false economy to skimp now. Hence why I suggested the APS stuff as it is some of if not the best out there. :cool:
Personally I would put all the APS gear on exhaust,filter,bov and radiator, then get a boost controller fuel pump and ralliart ECU. Then when you have the money sell the Ralliart ECU for good money and get a programmable ecu. And finaly a BB turbo and some cams. Lovely proper job :p

Anyways I will shut up now and let someone else answer :blush:

Matt
:)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks... understand what you're saying about skimping as I'd rather not buy something now that I'll only replace further down the road.

I think it would take me a while to get to 380 though. The car's got to get louder in small steps or else the neighbours might realise I'm up to something :crackup:

·
12,904 Posts
superdraggor is pants for the evo, dump it.

It's far too restrictive.

If you dont want too much noise the haywood and scott isnt A bad system and has given good results in the past.

7,730 Posts
My APS Exhaust is just fine driving off boost, quite for 3 1/2" :)
It really is top gear(i have all of the above fitted that Leonard mentioned) and we hope to see a fairly good result on Sat at WRC.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Crypt...

The noise doesn't bother me much as long as I can drive 100s of miles on the motorway without my ears bleeding, it doesn't pi55 off my neighbours too much, and I don't get black flagged at trackdays all the time.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:cool:

I was reading the posts on your car earlier Mat but didn't realise you were going on Sat, so I'll try and have a proper look and listen then. :D

7,730 Posts
Radar said:
Thanks Crypt...

The noise doesn't bother me much as long as I can drive 100s of miles on the motorway without my ears bleeding, it doesn't pi55 off my neighbours too much, and I don't get black flagged at trackdays all the time.
The APS system comes with a bung ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
damm i guess i wont be buying the APS system then as I want to put my cat back at mot time.

I really liked the look of that system.

What are the rest of you gonna do at MOT time if you use APS

Regards
Ian

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have just fitted a 3 inch full APS system to my MR RS, it is really quiet off boost and roars on full throttle! Just what I need as I do a lot of track days, I spent the day at Bedford the other week and was fine.

Also my exhaust does come with a Cat replacement pipe so no problems on MOT and it is a lovely bit of kit, it was almost a shame to hide it under the car.

:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts