Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I'm about to fit new Eibach springs to the VIII. So thought that I would check with my insurance company as to how much extra this mod and a new ECU would add to my policy.

I was shocked. Additional £500/yr. I said that I thought that most of that would be due to the ECU and was surprised to learn that half of it was the springs and half the ECU. That worked out to £48/mth more for the springs on their own !!??

Does this sound right to every one ? On the Gti-6 that I had I replaced the sprigs with eibachs and the insurance didn't change. :confused:

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
bassed said:
Hi all,

Well I'm about to fit new Eibach springs to the VIII. So thought that I would check with my insurance company as to how much extra this mod and a new ECU would add to my policy.

I was shocked. Additional £500/yr. I said that I thought that most of that would be due to the ECU and was surprised to learn that half of it was the springs and half the ECU. That worked out to £48/mth more for the springs on their own !!??

Does this sound right to every one ? On the Gti-6 that I had I replaced the sprigs with eibachs and the insurance didn't change. :confused:

Cheers
Mark
Depends on the insurer. Some only increase the premium as the HP increases and some seem to link any performance mods (springs or brakes) due to u wanting to drive faster ...hence more risk.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
even if you do tell them about your mods 9 times out of 10 they will only replace them with standard parts, how would an insurance company stand when you have TME wheels on a GSR?

·
NR555
7,448 Posts
Tesco's wanted an extra £350.00 when i told them about my HKS hiper damper kit, told em to **** off, try PW very freindly with modifications

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom Dick said:
Tesco's wanted an extra £350.00 when i told them about my HKS hiper damper kit, told em to **** off, try PW very freindly with modifications
PW?? Who are they? I'm currently with Natwest they offered the best quote 8mths ago. ~£850 or ~£1k with protected no claims.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
247 Posts
martianevo said:
Bell direct will give a quote for basic mods from their website for me was about a £250 increase for 10% more bhp, Chip/ecu, air filter, exhaust, brakes and lowered suspension.
MartinEVO,
Just got a quote from them & it is over £500 cheaper than I am currently paying! However, I couldn't find a place to put my uprated Greddy Intercooler or the HKS dumpvalve on the mods page.

Any ideas?

PHK.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I insured a 996 with Egg.......they wanted an extra £500 to add 19" alloys with a value of about 2K! That was was only for the remaining 8 months cover as well!

Had a recent quote from NU on a MR320. They wanted an additional £150 for decat, non std wheels and suspension kit........thought that was quite reasonable personally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My experience is that extra bhp's means extra £££'s. Usually it's a very nice lady who takes your call and asks you all sorts about what the modified parts actually do. Boost(er) control(ler), does that make it go faster; upgraded suspension; oh, has it been lowered?
I've been lucky in that sticking with the same insurer through the modification process and keeping a clean bill of health they seem to be giving me a good deal. ie; oooh, errrhh, 276 to 350bhp, that's a 26% increase please sir. They don't seem too interested in the suspension, brakes, harnesses, etc, and that (in theory) my driving skills are progressing all the time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
martianevo said:
PHK, give em a call i guess, I rang em to ask about a stroker engine they wudn't go for that.

martin
MartinEVO,
Have Emailed them & am waiting for a reply. Last year my insurance was £1,635 & that was garaged, limited mileage, with no convictions with 2 imobilalizers, CAT 1 alarm & RAC TrackStar, so a quote of £1106.65 is great!

PHK.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bad News :(

Petrol head kid said:
MartinEVO,
Have Emailed them & am waiting for a reply. Last year my insurance was £1,635 & that was garaged, limited mileage, with no convictions with 2 imobilalizers, CAT 1 alarm & RAC TrackStar, so a quote of £1106.65 is great!

PHK.
MartinEVO,
Got a call back from them - when I filled in the details, I specified for an EVO 8 (as they weren't showing any EVO 7's).
They have told me that they insure modified EVO 6's & 8's, but not 7's :confused:

Back to the drawing board.....

PHK :cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts