Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My MMCS says it is on version 2626 (a 2007 version) and i am trying to update it to the most recent.

I have downloaded the necessary files off the Mitsubishi website and put the files on 2 separate CD-R disks. I have followed all steps in the instructions on the website.

When i put the first CD into the MMCS, all that comes up is "checking disk" and stays like that.

Anyone else had any problems?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can't help with your problem but Just out of interest?

What does the updated version do? I'm not even sure what version mine is.

·
North Wales RO
4,845 Posts
The files from the Mitsubishi website will only update the CDDB Gracenote information and won't update the maps. At least you'll be able to have up-to-date track names for your CD's.

When I updated mine last year it took a good 45 minutes to update through both CD's. You can drive around while you're doing it though, so it may be worth persisting.

If you want to update the maps you have to pay an extortionate amount to a dealership I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I updated the CDDB recently and you need to press Mode and then the "CDDB Updating" button after you have inserted the CD to start the process and it does take around 45-60 mins to finish. Annoyingly even when it's finished if you have recorded any CDs previously that didn't have the album/track names in the database at the time they don't automatically get updated so you have to fish about in the menu's to get it to manually to recheck the database for each album.

As for the maps they cost around £150 and take around 3-4 hours to install - or if you are technically inclined you can take out the hard drive, unlock it and copy the new map files over directly. I also took the opportunity to replace the hard disk with a higher capacity SSD and increased the size of the music server partition while I was at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I updated the CDDB recently and you need to press Mode and then the "CDDB Updating" button after you have inserted the CD to start the process and it does take around 45-60 mins to finish. Annoyingly even when it's finished if you have recorded any CDs previously that didn't have the album/track names in the database at the time they don't automatically get updated so you have to fish about in the menu's to get it to manually to recheck the database for each album.

As for the maps they cost around £150 and take around 3-4 hours to install - or if you are technically inclined you can take out the hard drive, unlock it and copy the new map files over directly. I also took the opportunity to replace the hard disk with a higher capacity SSD and increased the size of the music server partition while I was at it.
It doesnt even get to the point of saying "CDDB updating". Just constantly says "checking disk". I drove for an hour with it saying the same thing. I ended up taking the disk out and forgetting about it.

I work as a IT girl anyway so i may just take the HDD out. Where did you find the map files if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The files from the Mitsubishi website will only update the CDDB Gracenote information and won't update the maps. At least you'll be able to have up-to-date track names for your CD's.

When I updated mine last year it took a good 45 minutes to update through both CD's. You can drive around while you're doing it though, so it may be worth persisting.

If you want to update the maps you have to pay an extortionate amount to a dealership I'm afraid.
Thats annoying :/

Thanks!

·
Registered
566 Posts

Hi Sephiro. Please could you let me know how you did the SSD upgrade and what SSD (and software) you used? I'd like to add blackspots and cameras to my Nav and I think using a 3rd party mapping file is the only way of doing it.

Sorry to hijack your thread Leigh, but, it might help sort yours out too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sephiro. Please could you let me know how you did the SSD upgrade and what SSD (and software) you used? I'd like to add blackspots and cameras to my Nav and I think using a 3rd party mapping file is the only way of doing it.

Sorry to hijack your thread Leigh, but, it might help sort yours out too.
No worries Gepetto. I dont mind, means i learn a little more about it all.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Sorry I haven't had a chance to come back to you as I've been manic at work over the past couple of days. Anyway unlocking the hard disk is the main problem to overcome and the process is outlined here:
http://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/how-unlock-mmcs-25583/

Key points to be aware of:
  • The computer you connect the drive to must have a PATA connector (rather than the more modern SATA connector) to allow you to connect the drive as the primary hard disk - a PATA USB enclosure also won't work for the unlock process.
  • The MMCS drive is a 2.5" unit so you may need a 2.5" -> 3.5" PATA cable if you are connecting it to a desktop PC rather than a laptop
  • If you fail the unlock the drive after a certain number of attempts you can brick it permanently (if your BIOS automatically prompts for the drive password and you attempt to enter one this counts as an attempt as do attempts from the unlock image - note it's impossible to enter the unlock password on the BIOS prompt as the BIOS doesn't support the required password length)
  • Make sure you've noted the version information from your MMCS system before you take the drive out as you need this to work out the unlock password (note: the password is hexadecimal so anything you see that looks like 0 is a zero and not to be confused with the letter O).
  • If you unlock the original drive and put it back in the car it will be locked again automatically, but if you replace the drive this doesn't happen

Once the drive was unlocked I just stuck the drive into a USB enclosure along with the new SSD and cloned the whole drive using the dd command in Linux (note: I cloned the disk, rather than each partition individually as you have to maintain the partitions in order otherwise MMCS won't boot after you disconnect your car battery). I think I then used another Linux command GParted to increase the size of the extended partition that holds the music partition, plus various others, and was then able to resize the music server partition itself. Finally I located the maps partition, deleted the old files, copied the new ones over and stuck the SSD back in the car.

The SSD I bought was a 2.5" 64GB KingSpec PATA drive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KingSpec-2-5-inch-Solid-SM2236-Controller/dp/B008RWKFYE

As for where to get the map files the legitimate route is to buy them which you can do from the following link and then extract them from the DVD:
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...w-Promo?Page=CampaignLanding_MitsubishiMotors

The less legitimate route is to find someone who already has the DVD or the update installed and copy them off their drive. Of course at the bottom of the morally bankrupt barrel there's the download option but last time I brought this up I got the distinct feeling that this wasn't popular with the other members so I'm not going to go into that.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started for now....

·
North Wales RO
4,845 Posts
I didn't know it was IDE PATA, I would have thought they were SATA! Crackers.

I can't imagine many people will have laptops/desktops with IDE these days. I think we may have 1 at work and that's it.

I guess it's a normal HDD that comes out instead of an SSD due to the speeds?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Yep thankfully I had an old Dell Pentium 3 laptop under my desk which did the job, although Dell's crappy BIOS tried to screw me over by refusing to boot at all - even from a live CD - while a locked hard disk was connected.

I therefore had to do a really dodgy hot swap by booting the unlock live CD with the original laptop drive attached then swapped in the MMCS drive after Linux loaded. You can't boot with no drive and then connect the MMCS drive because the BIOS only evaluates connected PATA drives at start up as they are not supposed to be hot swappable.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks Sephiro. :smthumbup

I'll need to see if an old laptop I have is PATA and go from there. I don't want the original Mitsubishi maps as I would like blackspot/camera info too. I'm not averse to paying for it, and, if the newer Mitsi disc has them then I'd be happy with that. If not, I'd prefer to look for alternatives.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts