Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any worries about mixing SO3s on the front of my car and SO2s on the rear.
I am having a job getting so2s here in swindon at the moment .
So its whether I would experience any driving difficulties mixing the 2 type on different axles.
just got a cost of £130 fitted and balanced for an S03 .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, Paul, it could be good or it could be bad, even very bad. I know this doesn't help you a lot, but the only way to find out really is to try unless someone else has tried it. Different compound tires are used in racing to balance the car and that can be done on the road too, but you'd have to know how the tires grip and in which conditions. It could be that the car understeers in the dry but oversteer like anything in the wet. These are no facts for a S-O3/S-O2 combination, just explaining what could happen. I would think that it shouldn't be to dramatic, because these are two road tires were talking about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shorty,
Generally, different tyres on front and back won't be too much of a problem. There will be differences in the handling due to the different grip characteristics at different ends of the car but its only when you have different tyres on the same axle that you start to get into problems because different the two sides of the car behave differently when cornering resulting in interesting handling to say the least...

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shorty, mixing tyres across axles should be alright unless they have very different charateristics, as even if you have all 4 tyres the same with the different rates of wear front/rear you will soon have some differences bewteen the 2 axles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shorty...
I had some Bridgestone RE40 put on the front of my E6 as that is all they could get virtually indentical to the SO2 but the speed rating is slightly lower and had no problems at all,if anything they are wearing alot better than the orignal SO1s..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for that ,at this stage don't want to shell out another £ 260 for four corners when the rears are pretty good .
Will opt for SO3s as this seem to be the way bridgestone are heading with the stockists.
They will get tested at Snetterton in a few weeks .
Managed to get M1144 front pads fitted for £75.00 at Imperial tyres .last time I paid £58 for pads bought my self . and £25 fitting .
Down to perforation on inner edge :D I do like round abouts ,and swindon is the place for them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shorty,
Give Bridgestone a call , their tech dept is really helpful.
Based in Oldbury West Mids.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul

I was taught never to mix radial and xply tyres across the axle. This also went to a lesser degree about makes of tyre, pressures and big tread depth differences. Course I never took no notice on my old bangers. On a performance car I personaly would make sure the tyres across the axles were the same. You could always keep the best tyre of the ones you replace for a spare or sell it on as a part worn. Someone on here will probably be able to use it. Even if you give it away and call in a favour on it. It would be better to be safe than sorry, especially if you are planning a track day soon.

Just think how you would feel about having your little bloke in the back. That factor should sort out the shall I risk it factor.

Speak to you soon.
Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shorty,

By all accounts, S03s have slightly less grip in the dry and slightly more grip in the wet than S02s. If you have your tyre pressures exactly the same, you should get slightly more understeer in the dry and oversteer in the wet with this combination. You'll probably only notice this on the track. If you have AYC then you shouldn't notice at all.

If you need the car to be exactly balanced, you can probably make the tyre pressures slightly different front to rear. As Michael says, you won't really know until you try it. I personally don't think you'll notice anywhere other than the track.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesus..... wher do you guys all live, the shetlands or something. I got S03's on the rear and S01 on teh front (won't change them until the S01's are fully worn out). Car is absolutely fine. If I was on a circuit then I'm sure there would be some sort of difference of behaviour and also different in wet vs. dry but for road use ..... !!!! Please tell me where these roads are where I can push my car so hard that I show up a front and amp; rear tyre discrepancy ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well tommmorow I will find out as the 2 SO3s are being fitted .
Personally I don't feel that it will make much difference as I don't drive the car as hard as some do on the road .but I will soon see when I skate and drift around a large round about .
My car is very stable and I don't get front or back end movement unless on hard lock and tight the the read will slide .The whole car if its going to go will go .
Can't wait as I am taking it easy incase my inner wall bursts.
Looking forward to Snett as long as its not chucking it down :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts