Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has gone in this morn for 18kservice.......................just had a call to say......'Sir, your discs are down to bare metal @ front, would you like us to replace them @ a cost of £230?'

'what type of pads will you be putting on?' says I

'Just normal Mitsi ones' :eek: :eek: :eek: :cry:

'NO-WAY' says I

To be honest he did admit he couldn't beleive the cost, and as both myself,the technician and the service centre manager agreed, much better high performance pads are available for a fraction of the cost........ :blah:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I take it the OEM ones are what you have on now?

I assume that was supplied and fitted?

How much of that was a fitting charge, I wanted some shims supplied by myself fitted to my front brakes as part of my last serivce and I was thinking that it would be neglible labout as they dedust the brakes anyway. I was wrong, they added an hour labour to normal service for that job! :eek:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah...standard OEM pads n discs.............

didn't discuss this option any further, but I assume labour on-top, am currently searching like a mother-f**ker to try an find the bestest options..........

1. Change fronts to ds2500
2. Change front/rear to ds2500
3. Upgrade front discs to some kind of strap drive system and new pads all round.

Open to as much advise and recommendations as possible, and Yes i have done a search in the brake archives :eek:

NO I cannot afford replacing all to yummy AP's 6 pots etc.

Used not as a daily drive but do like a good weekends fast roading ;) :p

Thanks in advance for advice........

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hello mate,

speak to stockcar (off of the MLR). Very helpfull chap!! Did me a complete set of brand new Ferrodo DS2500 both front and rear for a fantastic price that'd whoop Mitsi's OEM quote!!

If you are minimally mechanically minded you can fit them yourself as I did. See this article for full instructions. Takes about 20 mins per wheel and dead simple!!

CLICK HERE!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx martin

It will be a DIY job, once i've sourced the pads...............might upgrade the brakelines and replace the fluid to 5.1 at the same time, whilst everything is off..............see how the funds are.

Thanx for the info tho'

All the best

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Famous steveyb said:
might upgrade the brakelines and replace the fluid to 5.1 at the same time, whilst everything is off..............see how the funds are.

There's a very easy way of doing this. The evo's are fitted with electronic brake bleeding. If you plug a MUT tool in (special mitsi computer thingy!) it can do it automatically.

Just a thought as I am going to replace my brake lines for the goodridge ones at some point and I'm gonna be cheeky and take the tools down to Mitsi, do it on there forecourt and then get them to bleed the brakes properly!! :D

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Famous steveyb said:
just had a call to say......'Sir, your discs are down to bare metal @ front,
Steve if the pads are as bad as they are making out, doesn't that = not safe for the road????

If so why did they let you drive away :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Mitsi Service

Evo1man said:
Steve if the pads are as bad as they are making out, doesn't that = not safe for the road????

If so why did they let you drive away :confused: :confused:
a. cos I told em there is no way im payin that for oem pads when I can get better pads cheaper (to which they agreed)

b. cos I told em its not a daily driver

c. they put it in big letters at bottom of service sheet..............front pads need urgent attention.....rears have 1 - 2k left

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Ahhh so they are not our fooked then lol

Gives you the excuse to drive Vic's new car then (she will kill me for typing this if she see's it (Trina)) :p :p

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evo1man said:
Ahhh so they are not our fooked then lol

Gives you the excuse to drive Vic's new car then (she will kill me for typing this if she see's it (Trina)) :p :p
Not proper fooked...............NO...................but then I knew they weren't as I had a crafty gander @ 'em last weekend when wheels were off fitting the under floor braces ;) ..............NO scoring on those disks baby :moon:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts