Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some input on a misfire issue I've been battling since I've owned my Lancer Turbo.

It has a constant misfire at all times, except for a brief period as it warms up and I don't notice it really when giving it full throttle at full boost. It will run so badly that I now don't really want to drive it often as the constant 'surging' back and forth when driving just becomes uncomfortable.

I think it's fuel related as it smells quite rich when running and I don't think 250KM out of a tank of fuel is normal at all! :p

I should mention it's an 1800cc G62B Intercooled model with the same engine as in the Turbo Cordia's with B-type injection.

There's a video I made quickly on Youtube which shows some of how it behaves, although it's hard to see/hear in the video:

The things I've replaced so far to try and solve this issue are:

Spark Plugs
HT Leads
Coil
Distributor Cap & Rotor
Cleaned air filter
Throttle Position Sensor (From a Mazda, and ensured it's reading 0.5v at idle)
Air Flow Meter
Tried another ECU, which was a different part number and problem was still present.
Edit: Oxygen Sensor

I've checked the Air Intake Temp sensor and it seems to be in spec, as do the coolant sensors and the ECU isn't reporting any error codes.

Any ideas? TIA for any input :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds like you are going through the mill and have done all teh obvious things already...

I had a similar issue some time back and finally traced it to loose coil spade terminals where the + & - leads attach. I simply squashed the spades on the wires and squirted some electrical contact cleaner on them and my issue was solved.... Just maybe you have something similar?

But maybe you have a fuel pump connection problem with a similarly loose connection? Or perhaps the signal coming from the disrtibutor that tells the fuel pump that the engine is turning over?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you are going through the mill and have done all teh obvious things already...

I had a similar issue some time back and finally traced it to loose coil spade terminals where the + & - leads attach. I simply squashed the spades on the wires and squirted some electrical contact cleaner on them and my issue was solved.... Just maybe you have something similar?

But maybe you have a fuel pump connection problem with a similarly loose connection? Or perhaps the signal coming from the disrtibutor that tells the fuel pump that the engine is turning over?
That's a good thought, PaulS. Do you have any idea where I might check this? I'm pretty certain the fuel pump isn't restricting fuel flow, but potentially there's too much fuel flow as it stinks of fuel when running and the fuel mileage is very poor. Do these cars have a fuel pressure regulator? Could it be possible that the fuel pressure is too high and therefore the injectors could be spraying too much fuel in?

One thing I forgot to mention is that when the car is warming up and I come to a stop, when I go to start off again the engine bogs down and only starts to accelerate somewhat adequately when I have my foot to the floor and the engine revs up enough for the turbo to start to spool. This will clear up after 30 more secs or so of driving, but the misfires will continue.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Perhaps the injectors need ultrasonic cleaning or replacing. I am not familiar with your engine type or b injection but I had similarities years ago on my 4g63 2.0l litre. Had to replace the injec:wallbang:tors.:smthumbup

·
Registered
319 Posts
My experience is solely with the older 4G63 set up so might not be relevant to your set up, but for what its worth, here it is:

Maybe you have 2 overlapping problems, overfuelling and a misfire? I am no expert on the fueling side, but leaky / dodgy injectors would cause overfuelling as the injectors would give expected doses, plus an amount more that leaks past them.

Are you using standard injectors or some modified / upgraded units?

The fuel system I use is a Bosch competition pump supplying sufficient pressure to the fuel chamber feeding the twin injectors, with excess pressure returning down a return line to the tank.

The distributor pick up set (top end of the 4G63t distributor) is where the signal seems to be generated to tell the fuel pump to work

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I will try following and report back:

• Check fuel pump is getting clean signal
  • Clean Injectors
  • Replace injector o-rings

:mitsi::wallbang::)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It took a few years but I have some what of an update.

I've installed a TPS sensor from a Mazda and now the idle up works when turning the air conditioning on. Maybe a bit too aggressively but it works lol.

The injectors have been cleaned and flow tested (no leaks).

Distributor has been pulled apart and lubricated. The mechanical advance was stuck.

I had been speaking with TinTin from this forum who suggested I try and clamp the fuel return line. I kinked the hose whilst at idle and the rpm came up and the misfire got significantly better, although not gone completely.

In the time that's passed since I wrote my first post and now it has developed a weird thing where under load, on boost and using a lot of throttle, maybe 75-100% the car will start bucking like the fuel is being cut off or something, it's pretty violent and it does it on a rhythm, one or two seconds on power then a second with no power, then a second on power and so on. This will continue until I let off the throttle just a fraction, and then the car will start accelerating again.

A few years on and I'm still stumped! Does anyone have any more ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts