Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had my front pads on my 6 replaced with 1144 compound. Problem is the squealing when slow braking and turning. In a straight line it is fine at any speed, but brake while turning the wheel and it grinds yer teeth.

Will this settle down? Has anyone experienced this with these pads? There is a noticeable diff' over the OEM pads, much better bite, although I have only done about 140miles'ish.

Thanks...John

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Have you bedded them in properly.
Mintex are a pain as you need to bed them in differently to other pads.
Basically you need them to get an almost glaze on them.

This is easy to achieve just find a long straight bit of road and gun it and then do
3-4 70/80 Mph emergencey stops, I.e. almost down to stopping.

After this is repeated several times you should drive normally to cool the brakes down
then test them, you should notice they are much quiter but they will still squeal but not as much.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Did you put back the standard brembo anti-noise pads?
When you take the standard pads out of the caliper,ther is black thin pads that you should remove from the brake pads themselfs and fit them on the back of the new ones,and also a metal very thin pads between the brake pads and the caliper pistons.

If you fit these parts back you shoul have less squealing,another thing you can do is make the edges of the new brake pads a little rounder like the brembos are(should be made by a mechanic).

Last one,you can put some special anty noise grease on the back of the pads.

I had this things done on pagid brake pads that should be noisy,and they are ok.

the only pads that are not noisy at all are the brembo.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thorak, I'll give that method a try when the snow melts and I eventually get my car out the garage!!!

Maxi, there is anti-noise grease on the pads, I'll try bedding them, if no joy, out comes the squirt tube. ooeeeeerrr..

thanks guys...John

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thorak, I tried your method on the way to work tonight. It seems to have worked a treat. Still a slight squeal but no where near the previous cringing levels.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Mintex are funny but I think they are better than OEM if you can live with the slight squeal.
More bite but tend to fade a little on the track but that could be my brake fliud boiling.
Ah well any job for the weekend.

Glad I could help

Thorak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts