Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

A couple of weeks ago I had new hubs/discs/pads fitted to my 6. Standard Brembo discs and I was advised to go for Mintex 1144 pads. *$%^@ talk about squealing !!! In fact squeal doesn't begin to describe to noise level of these pads. I stayed with it and put about 500 or so miles on them. Took the car back yesterday to my garage and they shamfered the edges down and were advised by the Mintex supplier to bed them in by doing 70-20mph,80-20mph,100-20mph and so on. The garage did this for me and drive my car back into the workshop with blue calipers and smoking wheels !
Henced to say they still squealed. Went back today and had the old brembo pads put back on. They had only done 5k and were machined flat.

NO SQUEAL, at least not yet. Will take it easy for a few hundred miles to bed them in.

What was interesting was that when the Mintex 1144 pads were removed they were cracked and looked completely knackered.

pictures on my web site...(www.evo-6.co.uk)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Mark!

Why did you get Mintex pads? Get the Pagid RS14. I dont think the original brake pads will squeal. Nor will they brake, btw. The RS14 pads I have were MAXI's, he had discs running red several times with these pads, brakes smoking, but they were not cooked or cracked or anything. These pads are being used in GrN Evos here in France. They squeal a tiny little bit when they're cold, braking is better than OEM when cold, they dont make any noise when warm and the braking is A LOT better. They cost GBP 140 or so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, I'm using the same set up as you, std discs |PLS| 1144's. When I fitted them I made sure I cleaned away the brake dust from the caliper and used plenty of copperslip on the back of the pad and around the anti-squeal shims. At first they squealed while I was bedding them in and I have noticed that when I don't use the brakes very hard for a while (doesn't happen very often) they start squealing but after a few hard applications of the brakes again, they make no noise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark

I bedded in mine with a gentle trip to Cadwell and no squell.
How ever tried the 1155 and they squielled like fk ,but I bedded them in like many others with a blast around town at high speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I spoke too soon.

The Brembo pads started squealing.

Took them back to the garage and they took off the pads and covered the backs in copper slip. Still squeals.

This is really ####ing me off.

Today, when I parked up to see a client, for some reason I pumped the brake pedal 5-10 times before turning off the engine. Visited a customer for a few hours and came back and set off. NO SQUEAL ! Well for the first 2-3 brake applications, then it went back to squeal mode.

At my next job I did the same thing again. On my return again NO SQUEAL for the first 2-3 braking applications.

Spoke to my mechanic and he said that the next thing to do in our quest for quiet brakes is to strip the calipers right down and thouroughly give them a good cleaning.

I live in hope...........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone tried the Mintex 1166 pads ?
Someone has just reccommended them and says they are better than the 1144's
for occasional track day and general day use.
Your opinions please !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peely

I think the 1166 are a harder pad and so will take the heat better on the track, they will also be more abrasive on the discs too. Check out the Mintex website to see the heat to friction coefficient of the different type of pads - 1144, 1155 and amp; 1166.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure that you have the standard anti squeal soft shields that are glued to the pad and the thin metal ones!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.