Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or similar...

Just a few questions to those in the know.

Is the octane plus in theory, a '+RON buffer'? i.e., it'll only take it up to x RON no matter how much you add. or, is it possible to add more than one carton to your fuel? will it be detrimental?

sorry if these are obvious for some, but I just don't know :confused:

Many Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
kyle, forget millers.

get some silkolene pro boost. costs around £10 for a tin. add half a tin to a full tank and you will notice an improvement in initial accelaration.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Taken from the FAQ page

Q: Should I use Octane Boosters?

A: The Evolutions are built for the Japanese home market and as such the cars would normally use 100 RON fuel. The maximum rated fuel that is obtainable from filling stations in the UK (and most of the EU) is currently 98 RON (Shell Optimax) or 97 RON (Super Unleaded). Using a lower RON rated fuel than was intended by the manufacturer means the engine will not be running at it's maximum potential and if the RON rating is too low it can actually be harmful (generally don't use fuel rated less than 97 RON unless in an emergency, see 'What is the best fuel to use?'). You can use an Octane Booster to increase the fuels Octane Rating to 100 RON (or more). Many people do use Octane Boosters, especially when using their cars on track days, then again just as many do not use them, it is entirely up to the owner whether they feel it is worthwhile.

The official line is not to use Octane Boosters, even in an emergency. Also note that your warranty maybe affected if you do use an Octane Booster. It has been said, rightly or wrongly, that Octane Boosters can actually leave traces of their use in the engine and fuel system and if you have an engine failure, a warranty claim may not be met if their use is evident.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used some Millers CVL Turbo octane booster in mine when I had to fill up on normal unleaded. According to millers this will have raised the RON to 99. I gave the car a hammering on it with no undue sounds from the engine unlike when my missus put normal unleaded in it without the millers. Very good stuff in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I read somewhere that Octane boosters leave a sludgy deposit on your valves, don't know how true!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
JOHN'S RED VII said:
I read somewhere that Octane boosters leave a sludgy deposit on your valves, don't know how true!
pro boost cleans carbon deposits from valves.

D2 i wouldnt say you were bumped off, just that pro boost is excellent stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Agree with Wullie Proboost, I have been using it since I had my first Evo with no ill effects half a can for normal use, 1 can for track use per tank of optimax, sure makes a difference in performance :) and wallet :(

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,805 Posts
D2 said:
**** sake i just bought a case of millers for £30 was i bumped off?
£30 for a case sounds about right, I've used the stuff in every fill up since 2000 in my E6, running 1.5 bar with a Ralliart ECU and many many trackdays, and I absolutely hammer the car.

When I stripped the engine after 35Kmiles to carry out a rebuild with forged parts, it was in excellent condition with no signs of det and clean as a whistle.

Remember most of the Octane boosters on the market only raise the Octane rating buy a few points anyway, that is for example from 98.6 to 98.8.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
AndyF_RSX said:
Why bother using octane booster?

Is your car detting when running super unleaded?

Andy
Andy, I use octane booster as a safety barrier, particularly on track days. Only really applies though on a car that is quite aggressively mapped.

·
Premium Member
4,964 Posts
Early evos are mapped for 100 I was told by silkoline techs that a can of proboost with a tankful of optimax will give you over just over 100 ron seems as I wont get full power on anything less thats why I use it

·
Registered
966 Posts
Rae you are absolutely right, the early cars are not mapped for UK fuel and the ecu is not sophisticated enough to accommodate it. My evo 2 dets very slightly near redline in 4th gear and sometimes in 3rd gear with Optimax. I tried Millers Octane Plus and it still did it but with Millers CVL Turbo it is smooth and quiet all the way to redline in every gear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts